“Too busy to be perfect”
Review of La Forge - CLOSED

La Forge
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We arrived, not having booked, on a busy Saturday evening, but they managed to squeeze six of us in upstairs. The service was patchy - although maybe they thought it was 'laid back'. The food was lovely - especially the risotto, and the hamburger with JD sauce was delicious and perfectly cooked. The ribs weren't exactly falling off the bone, but tasty and plentiful. Wine list wasn't that exciting, and the wine wasn't as cold as it should have been - but a tad pricey, as in all French restaurants. We would go back - but I think the service would have been better if we'd been sitting downstairs with the other diners.

1  Thank Kathy M

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Despite being British the chef creates nice and well cooked french food. The atmosphere is nice and cosy and the waiters are very kind and helpfull but lack a bit of finesse.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

In June when we visisted we had the most amazing pomplemousse and wine aperitif, real BBQ ribs that were fall off the bone delicious and the most amazing server who is also one of the managers/owners. Unfortunately our September visit fell a little flat! The BBQ ribs were tough, the risotto actually made my friend sick to her stomach and the service was just ok. We will go back to give them another try in hopes that the fluke visit was this last one in September...we hope so!

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We have been to La Forge several times since it first opened and at the start they did their best engaged in conversation and the food was of a good quality although over priced, hence making it the special occasion choice on our trips over. Over time they became established and had their chosen clients, Our daughter graduated & was coming over to France with her boyfriend and we told the owner it was a special occasion and we booked an evening with music and made a point of not wanting to be on the first floor. We arrived and despite the booking we were sent upstairs with about 3 other French families· There was no apmosphere, service and food very poor and all our requests ignored. We complained to no purpose, the owners made a big joke of it, he was on duty whilst Barbara was at home and we spoke to her over the phone. A big joke to them, but not funny to us or my daughter. My daughter was so annoyed she posted a comment on Tripadvisor to say how bad it was. To my surprise the owner Barbara called me at home in the UK & pleaded with me to pursuade my daughter to remove the comment, her reason was a error was made her business was new and she did not want a bad review. They offered my daughter a free meal which she took but could not wait to leave after the way they were treated on that evening. The comment should have stayed, they have not improved, become complacment, still overpriced average food in reasonable surroundings. For meal and drinks for two there are far better places to eat for less than 120 euro on average. My recommendation stay away.
Frence

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We ate outside, which could be a little tight and on a slope, but we enjoy the fresh air. We are note sure what it is like inside.

The waitress and (presumably) the owner were both attentive, friendly and helpful.

I ordered ribs, which were quite expensive at Euro 29, but were outstanding and very large (you could probably order it between two and have a salad). My girlfriend ordered a fish dish, which was nice and reasonable at Euro 19. We ordered a bottle of local white (Domaine St Jean), which was very pleasant but we felt was pretty expensive for Euro 26 but figured that's just the riviera.

1  Thank CRANBR23