“Amusing & abrasive service, fine food”
Review of Le Don Juan

Le Don Juan
Ranked #136 of 659 Restaurants in Antibes
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Boulder, Colorado
“Amusing & abrasive service, fine food”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stood outside Le Don Juan for a few moments reading the outdoor menu chatting about our choices, when "Manu" the young maitre d' strolls by and says hello and I return same in french - to which he turns and replies 'Oh you can speak french' as if he's impressed. (Uh.. why would he be surprised by that?)

The restaurant is elegant with white table cloths and a pretty atmosphere, and we note that it's nearly empty which assures we can get the service we want, so we commit. When we sit down inside (after Manou has given surly instruction to my husband about the names of fresh fish on display) this young man actually tells us that Rennes is not part of Brittany! Actually, Brittany is one of France's regions and Rennes is its capital. But in pure spite Manu declares it's not. He grew up there and seems to resent that Rennes is a new sort Paris, having forgotten its Breton traditions etc etc.

Whatever. Manu is a head case but he is also a fine and pushy salesman who talked us into a 100EU dinner. We were delighted with our food - especially as he and the kitchen DEIGNED to create a green "salad mixed" for us against their menu and policy (it was one of the best green salads we've ever had and we told them to make it routinely). We loved the pate, the prawn ravioli, the shrimp risotto, filet of sole on mashers with mussels - and I was also gloriously pleased at the recommended white wine by the glass (Hermitage something - a complex Sauv-blanc type) and my husband loved the house beer (1664 by Kronenbourg).

Whatever to the attitude - BRAVO to the food. We saw Manu out in the street a few times during our dinner; seems he needs to drum up business by being sparky and annoying. All of his other wait staff were polite and wonderful however. I think more people should go to Le Don Juan, with their own sort of attitude and enjoy how it goes.

• Visited June 2013

Biot, France
“One of our favorite in Antibes”
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Don Juan is one of our favorite place in Antibes - we are locals and had dinner there several times over the last years. If you like simple but fresh fish, this place will delight you. Starters & desserts are all excellent. Sometimes the service can be a bit slow when the restaurant is packed - not a big issue though. Overall great place and a safe choice in Antibes.

• Visited April 2013
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Disappointing”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We tried this restaurant and were surprised they "had run out of Campari". The waiter then tried to sell us a huge whole sea bass for four persons for E200. When we declined he lost interest in us and we settled for a mediocre menu for E39 per person. The fish was dry( main course) but the starter was adequate. Wont be back!!!

Visited May 2013
Uzes, France
“Simply wonderful”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

First of all I don't recognise the photograph shown on this tripadvisor site. Take a look at their website and you will see what I mean. The Don Juan is an elegant relaxing environment. One can see the chefs working through the glass screen. The kitchen is spotless as is the restaurant with good tablecloths, glasses and cutlery. You simply know you're in for something good. There are some complaints about the high prices of the menus, but the hallmark of this restaurant is the extremely fresh high quality fish. As someone who buys fish every Friday on my local market in the Gard, I know only too well how very expensive it is to buy. It simply isn't the same product as frozen fish.
We came across the restaurant by chance. We were on holiday in Nice and wanted a change of scene. We had the 25€ menu prix fixe at lunch time. That's a good way of trying out an expensive restaurant at a reasonable price. My soup was excellent, his fried baby red mullet (a larger much tastier version of whitebait) was excellent. We both had fillets of John Dory with cauliflower and squid ink sauce. It was simply wonderful. We finished with panna cotta with mango, which was exceptionally good.
This is a food lovers' paradise. Beautifully fresh ingredients, simply cooked, just the kind of food we love. Some people complain that the portions are small. They were just right for us.
All the staff seem young and very earnest, but I would imagine some people might think them unfriendly. I think it's just a matter of style. Given some of the bad reviews on this site, they must be racking their brains as to what the're doing wrong to warrant such ill-deserved comments. They have two Michelin fourchettes and a National accreditation for the freshness of their food (I found this outs after our visit) and a good write-up in Le Figaro. If you love fine food, ignore the complaints on this site, otherwise you'll miss out on one of the very best restaurants on the Côte dAzur.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank JMP49
London, United Kingdom
“Surprise choice...”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I was first atracted by the options of sea food on the menu outside...but once inside I found the menu very confusing and nearly gave up. Startes and mains were not very clear and the staf seemed a bit confused also...after wondering to find a nice place not tipically touristy...I decided to stay. It was a real surprise. I had pumpkin soup with mushrooms and stuffed calamari...delicious. Everything was perfect from there on. The chef is very good...my partner had a different option but all very good and correctly cooked. I do recommend it.

• Visited September 2012