“Hidden Gem in France!!!!”

Chateau du Martinet
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Carpentras
Toronto, Canada
“Hidden Gem in France!!!!”
Reviewed December 6, 2010

This summer I discovered one of the most serene place in France. We took the TGV from Paris to Avignon (so convenient and fast!) then rented a car to explore the surrounding area. We wanted to visit Chateau Neuf de Pape to see the wineries in that area and found Chateau du Martinet in the Michelin guide book. Easy to get to from Avignon by car, it was exactly the type of place we were looking for. For an authentic French countryside experience in a magificently restored chateau, this is the place! We stayed for 3-relaxing evenings and breakfast was served each morning on the veranda overlooking a picturesque landscape. We had drinks with our hosts in the sitting room each evening before driving to nearby villages to discover local food and wine. Ronald and Francoise were so sweet and most helpful with information about the surrounding area. We didnt get a chance to enjoy the outdoor pool but did walk around the expansive property. The biggest surprise for me was the most modern bathroom in our suite. The water pressure in the shower was amazing too! We will definitely make this a stop on our next visit to France!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Aberdeen
Reviewed October 20, 2010

We booked to stay at one of the lodges in the grounds of the chateau. We made a reservation by telephone a few months in advance, telling the owner that we were travelling with our 16 month old daughter. He recommended that we stay at the more expensive of the two lodges since it had a separate room for my daughter to say in. Here is a summary of our experience:
1 We turned up on the due date for arrival to be told that there was no booking and that we must be mistaken. When I insisted that we had made a reservation, the owner checked and the acknowledged that we did indeed have a reservation. He appeared to have completely forgotten about us. He did not know we had an infant with us, and therefore there was no baby cot in the lodge. He brought us one, and left it for us to assemble.
2 The lodge is terrible. DO NOT STAY THERE. The chateau might be fantastic (don’t know, for reasons that I will explain), but the lodge is dank, dark, dirty and totally inappropriate for a young toddler. When we arrived there were flies everywhere, cobwebs, and a damp smell. This was all consistent with the owner having forgotten that we were arriving. It looked like the place hadn’t been occupied for quite some time. The amenities in the lodge are dated to say the least. There was NO separate room, so our daughter would have to sleep in the same room as us – no big deal but specifically contrary to what he told us would be the case (and therefore undermining entirely the basis for paying for the more expensive lodge). There are precipitous stairs with no doors on any of the rooms, so again extremely difficult for a toddler. There are no pictures of the inside of the lodges on the website. No wonder.
3 There was a wedding on at the Chateau. As a result we were told that we could not go into the Chateau, or use any of the amenities so prominently advertised on the website, such as the pool/tennis court etc., until at the earliest, 3.00pm the next day. This again is no great issue in itself, but there was a picture forming of us being very much “second class citizens”. The owner was focussing all of his attention on the wedding, and none on his remaining paying guests. There is nothing on the site explaining that if there is a function on, guests are not allowed near the Chateau or its amenities. This is unacceptable to my mind.
4 We decided pretty much immediately that we couldn’t stay there. So we had to find alternative accommodation (in Provence, in summer) that evening, for the whole of the following week. We eventually did that, with some difficulty and not inconsiderable expense. My daughter eventually got to sleep about 11.00pm that night.
5 I arrived back at the Chateau to hand back to keys. I had to walk through the wedding reception (since all other routes in were locked) to get the attention of the owners. I explained to the owner that I couldn’t stay on the basis that it was unsuitable for my daughter, I didn’t mention any of the other problems, since I wanted just to leave quickly and without any hassle. The man said this – this is a quote and it’s the first thing he said to me: “That’s fine, but what about the money”. There was no apology, no offer of help to find another place to say. He then asked me: “What is your proposal”. I had paid 600euro deposit. My response was to assume that he would not take any more from me. This seemed to enrage him – he said he was entitled to take a further euro600 charge, but that he would not. My assumption that he would take this position appeared to him to be ridiculous however. I asked the man what he thought would be “fair” in all the circumstances – he said this was irrelevant, and everything was about what he was entitled to do. I did not engage any further with him. (I am a lawyer, and he was not, in my view, given that we had booked over the phone with no correspondence whatsoever, “entitled” to anything). To be clear I didn’t ask for the deposit back.
I have been travelling to Provence for over 10 years, and have stayed in accommodation that cost between £30 and £500 per night. This lodge is WORST standard of accommodation I have seen in that time, and the owner’s attitude is similarly the WORST I have ever encountered (anywhere). Like the heading stays, if you want a nice (even just bearable) holiday experience, and a welcoming and helpful host, go somewhere, ANYWHERE, else.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank JayKayAberdeen
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 27, 2010

We initially planned to stay in Avignon but after visiting we decided to look outside of the city and found Martinet on the net so thought we'd take a look. It really is a stunning chateau and the grounds are beautiful, it's hard to resist when you first arrive, the room & bathroom were so spacious and we loved the idea of a pool. So we booked in for two nights.
It was lovely sitting outside on the big balcony with the views for breakfast and loved relaxing by the pool :-) but we felt like we were tip toeing around the place cos the atmosphere is quite cold and lacks that something special. I can certainly see why people love it, but it wasn't for us.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Yes, your stay here will cost more than the usual amount you spend on rooms but it represents fantastic value for money. If you want an experience of a lifetime try this place. The photographs do not do it justice. The reality is so much better. It is like staying in a stately home. Raymond and Francoise de Vries could not have been more hospitable. Everything is worked out to the last detail. We did not have dinner there because we had not made prior arrangements but we were directed to a fantastic restaurant a few miles away. If you are travelling to Provence plan a stay here into your itinerary. You will not regret it and the memory will last a lifetime.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto Canada
Reviewed June 2, 2010

If you’re looking for a once-in-a-lifetime experience then here it is. This beautiful country estate is owned by the gracious Françoise and Ronald de Vries. Even though the 18th Century, antique-filled Chateau is grand in scale, the hosts have made it feel like a home.
The superbly maintained grounds provide a quiet oasis for the weary traveller. We enjoyed the tranquility and the superb breakfasts.
Well situated near Avignon, Chateauneuf du Pape and Carpentras, Chateau du Martinet was one of the highlights of our 3-week trip to France. We would recommend this gem to anyone who wants to feel like royalty without breaking the bank.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Warsaw
Reviewed August 1, 2009

My wife and I just returned from a trip through Provence, with our final 5 nights at the Chateau du Martinet. The Chateau is a marvellous place, which we found almost by chance, having stayed a hotel in a nearby town, seen it in a guidebook and decided to pay a visit. We are sorry that we did not find it earlier, as we we have gladly stayed much longer. The Chateau is a large palace, beautifully restored with extreme attention to detail and very high standards by the owners, Mr. and Mrs. de Vries, who run it as a bed and breakfast. Everything was perfect from beginning to end. Our room was very large, extremely comfortable (a true king size bed that was very comfortable), with a bathroom so large and well equipped that we almost cried from joy. The Chateau itself is truly stunning, with a grand salon perfect for an aperitif, a beautiful library and an originally decorated dining room. The swimming pool (which we enjoyed every day) was large, very clean, and the water was warm and smelled the least of chemicals from all three hotels that we stayed in Provence. There are ample trees for shade around the pool, under which you can comfortably put a lounge chair, and feel like the entire 36 hectare park belongs entirely to you (absolutely splendid!). Next to the pool is a cute orangery, with kitchen facilities, changing room ,showers, etc. - very well thought out to provide full comfort and possibilities for the guests. Finally, we thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Mr. and Mrs. de Vries, who are so kind, warm and welcoming, yet thoroughly professional and paying attention to every detail for the guests' comfort. On request Tuesday's and Friday's they offer a dinner in the Chateau, which we highly recommend, as it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, especially the aperitif together with the owners (we would have preferred if they had joined us for dinner too just to continue the very pleasant conversation!). I travel extensively for business in top hotels in Europe, and my wife and I try to pick exceptional places when we go on holiday, and the Chateau du Martinet met and exceeded our very high expectations based on standards we have seen at other places (for example Four Seasons). I would wholeheartedly recommend a stay there to anyone who asks, even the most demanding traveller. What we enjoyed most (in addition to all I described above) was that the Chateau has only a few rooms and with such huge grounds, there is no way that you would ever feel crowded there, in fact we felt like we finally found complete peace and tranquility and were able to thoroughly relax. I will just add that this is a real review by a real person, I have no association with the Chateau or the owners, and this is the first time I am writing a review on Trip Advisor. My wife and I so much enjoyed our stay that I just felt compelled to write something. We were very sad to leave and would definitely stay there again if in Provence. We also found it really excellent value for money when comparing to similar hotels of such standard in Provence.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carpentras
Chateau de Mazan
#2 of 2 in Crillon-le-Brave
Hotel du Fiacre
Hotel du Fiacre
#4 of 9 in Carpentras

Been to Chateau du Martinet? Share your experiences!