“friendly and lovely!”

Ranked #46 of 55 Avignon B&B and Inns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
pyrenees orientales, france
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Reading the description of the hotel and not knowing the city I thought it would be at a walking distance to the city centre and its famous buildings. Already to walk to the city-wall is too far.
The room didn't have a door to the bathroom as it was very tight!!!
Eating out in the evening is not possible in a walking distance either (only choice a poor pizzeria) and the quarter isn't pretty either - you are almost afraid of walking after sunset.
The nearby parking isn't there either, you have to leave your car on the street which means- considering the surroundings - that you have to empty it completely even if you stay only one night.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank clouds07
Gütersloh
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Run by to young people who speak excellent English and very friendly and helüful.

20 minutes walk into the Old City of Avignon but there is a Bus Service

Very good for the price

Room Tip: Booking.com
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ilspago
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2010

we stayed for one night and found the young staff willing to answer all questions asked. Having never written a review before I feel I must tell you of my experience.Some time later and during our cycling holiday we had everything stolen ie all money passports driving licence credit cards etc. We contacted a friend living in france to help. He suggested the hotel maybe prepared to give us cash if he gave them his credit card.
The hotel were more than happy to help! Also they took in our rental bikes as the bike hire shop was closed on a sunday. The hotel even arranged to have the bikes returned!
All for just one nights stay.PS other hotels refused help.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank johnakhurst
Bordeaux, France
Reviewed November 22, 2010

Recently I reserved a room and we were left lock out of the hotel with my husband and 2months old baby when we arrived at midnight. We called to say we will arrive late and in the end when we reached and pressed the bell for good 20mins, nobody came. I called many times too and there was no answer.

1 week later I wanted to see if my money could be refunded back as my credit card was charged. To my disbelief and anger, the hotel claimed that we were not there, because they checked the video tape from the security camera and did not see anything. They also claimed that the bell was working properly and if we were to press they will hear it.

On that day, it was very cold and we were with our baby, there were no reasons for us not to be there and find another hotel at the very last minute. The customer officer at booking.com whom took my call and the hotel 10mins drive we went to are definitely a good testimonial that we were there but the owner of the hotel insisted that they did not see us from the security tape and the bell is working properly and that we did not press the bell. Also, the owner told me it just so happen that the pin code for the hotel door did not work on our arrival.

Utterly disappointed. If they refuse to refund me because of policy, I can understand, but to claim that we were not there really make me peeved! :(

Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank naivesg

Travelers are raving about these Avignon hotels

Leeds
Reviewed May 24, 2010

Hotel Mistral is a small hotel just outside of the old town of avignon. Location-wise it's an easy 20 minute (timed) walk from the wall of the old town. There's not much to do or available in the area so it's not the best of locations. There is a bus stop close by however and the buses do take you in to the centre every 20 mins or so for 1.20 euros.

The room itself is clean and comfortable, if a bit spartan. There was a TV in it but it only provided 8 channels all of which were french. There was one of those electric shutters by the balcony to block out the sun and there was also A/C in the room. The bathroom was adequate with the shower being one of those small cubicle varieties. So, just as they say in prison, don't drop the soap! You'll find it difficult to pick it up - particularly if you're tall. The position of the wall attachment for the shower head means that the shower stream of water will just touch the top of your head if you're 6' tall or more. If you're any shorter the water might miss you completely and you'll be forced to hold the shower head in your hand.

Breakfast is a typical french affair. At 7.50 euros it's not a particularly good value but there is no place in the immediate area that can provide breakfast. You'd have to take a bus or make a 25 minute walk to get breakfast or drive if you have a car.

The owners are this young couple who happen to speak 5 languages between them. The husband is really friendly and has been all over the world. He's always good for a story or two. They are also the proud parents of the smiling-est, laughing-est, happiest baby I've ever seen. Keep in mind though, that as it's such a small hotel and it's just the two of them service can suffer a bit. For example, they close between 12p and 3p while they take lunch and shop for supplies for the hotel and run other errands. If you try to check-in during this time you may have to wait a bit.

Overall though I'd say it was worth the price. For me the only let down was its location. I spent so much time walking to and from the hotel that I didn't enjoy my trip to Avignon as much as I might have.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank sudders08
milano
Reviewed January 13, 2009

We've been in Mistral for 5 night and it has been a very nice stay.
The hotel changed owner just two weeks before we arrived and that's been a great improvement, i guess!
The young coouple who own it is very nice and friendly, helpful and both speak various languages. The hotel is going to be renewed so i expect it's going to be much better soon. It's very close to the centre (we had a car and in 2 mins we arrived to free car parking just outside the old town) and all the road to the most important city in Provence are very close, too.
We regret we didn't have breakfast every day at the hotel but just the last two, cause it was pretty good with croissant, bread (fresh crispy french baguettes!!), hot chocolate, jam and enough stuff to feel onesefl full for a few hours.
We have been thinking to go back to Avignon in spring and it would ben nice to go there again and see how it's gonna change..

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple