“Excellent in every way!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Avignon
Thames Residence Hotel
Ranked #19 of 68 Hotels in Avignon
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Originally booked for 3 nights, followed by 3 in Nîmes. After a briefing from Philippe, the manager, and sampling the room for 24 hours, we decided to cancel Nîmes and use Thames Residence as our base for all 6 nights. So glad we did!

The room had everything we needed; lovely bathroom with tub and separate shower, super sized bed with plenty of soft pillows, sitting/dining area, and a mini kitchen complete with fridge/freezer, dishwasher, microwave, toaster, coffee and tea making and enough utensils to prepare and eat simple meals.

Philippe provided us with brochures, restaurant recommendations, car parking arrangements, touring advice... and even saved us when we accidentally locked ourselves out of our room on our departure day (don't ever leave your hotel room with one key left in the lock on the inside!).

The Thames Residences are housed in the Grand Hotel building, but run independently. The office is located down a passage just to the left of the Grand Hotel reception desk. The shuttle bus from the TGV station (€1.60) stops almost outside, just walk 20 metres back. The room looked out onto the 14th C. ramparts of the old city, but double-glazed windows blocked any noise.

So much more, too.... great WiFi (included), use of the pool, secure parking in the basement (additional fee, but discounted from public rates), free phone calls worldwide to fixed lines, safe in the room.... I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
PHILIPPE D, Responsable réception at Thames Residence Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

Dear David,
I am really surprised seeing you wrote so many reviews at www.tripadvisor.com and visit so many countries all around the world ! Congratulations ! Congratulations also for having so many people following your advices ! making lot of travel from Australia to Europe, you certainly are an appreciate reference for all tripadvisor travellers and I am really happy with all my team having a so nice review about your stay ! I hope next ime you will visit us in Provence, I will be able to propose you a suite or apartment with balcony or with terrace, which will be a must for your stay in south of France, because nobody could imagine how nice it is to have a nice rosé wine de Bandol or a nice red Chateauneuf du Pape wine with some cheese and nice bread from Carré de blé, or with the famous red wine bread ! Thank you very much for sharing all your experiences with all the community of Tripadvisor travellers ! Thank you for staying with us and for your contribution for letting people know about our suites, our apartments, our services !

Reviewed July 24, 2014

Philippe, who manages The Thames, was a superb host. He helped us immensely. He set up a car for sightseeing the next day and gave us restaurant suggestions as well. He personally showed us to our room and explained how everything worked ( TV & phone). The room was great too. Very comfortable bed. We would definitely return.
Bill & Marsha

Room Tip: Leave it to Philippe
3  Thank g550guy
PHILIPPE D, Responsable réception at Thames Residence Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2014

Dear Bill and Marsha,
Thank you for taking your time for leaving a review about your stay in Provence with us on tripadvisor.com. I It is a pleasure to read that you found evry thing great during your stay and I have to say, we aren't the only one making your stay sucessfull. Our restaurant's partners L'Essentiel, Hiely Lucculus and Christian Etienne or Olivier from CO2 Cuisine d'Olivier, all of them and more contribute also to the success of our guests stays and I am here now for thanking them for doing the best for welcoming all our guests. I hope welcoming you in the future again for a wondeful wines' tour and the "must" now, for a provencal cooking lesson at the Marmiton or with Julien Charvet from Concept chef at les Halles ! Wonderful time for wonderful holidays in wonderful places with wondeful hosts ! Thank you again for staying with us and for sharing this with all tripadvisor's community !

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Yes, the other reviews are true--this is a wonderful place to stay in Avignon. Philippe is a warm and welcoming host, and his information about our room features as well as advice about what to see in the area was so very helpful. He truly sets a high standard for hospitality and kindness to weary travelers! Our little apartment was just right for our mother-daughter duo, consisting of : a living room with comfortable sofa, chair, coffee table, shelving and TV, small galley kitchen tucked into a closet with refrigerator, cooktop, dishwasher, and everything needed for preparing meals, small dining table and chairs for two, bedroom with very comfortable bed, and a very nice bathroom. Everything was clean, thoughtfully decorated, updated,and well taken care of, with lots of features to ensure the comfort of guests, such as fluffy bathrobes and slippers, a great little Nespresso coffee machine, decent WiFi, and a phone with free international calls. Directly outside our living room was a small sheltered terrace with table and chairs, very nice for sitting. The location of the hotel is fantastic, right across the street from the walls of the old city of Avignon; we could walk into the city within minutes. Car parking was conveniently located directly underneath the building, with access to the hotel from the garage. (Just make sure to book parking when you make your room reservation.) So what was not perfect about this place? Only that we did not stay long enough! Thames Residence Hotel was, hands-down, the best place we stayed in during our 9 day visit to France. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Our room was south-facing, away from the main road and the city walls. We could hear some traffic...
2  Thank kctraveler21
PHILIPPE D, Responsable réception at Thames Residence Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Thank you very much Marion and Ben for taking time for writing a review about your trip in france and all marvelous you visited. All my team and myself (and my labrador female dog too) are very honored that our hotel was the best place during your travel in France. We will hope that more and more hotels welcoming guests will be more and more efficient, giving the best they can to their guests when they are in ! There are so many places which look nice, where people promise lot of think and services, and when guests arrived, there is nothing anymore, spoiling holidays of their guests ! We hope all this will change in the future and that all hotels giving the best they can will be recognized as the best ones ! And Tripadvisor will contribute to this I hope for a long time, giving all travellers the way of sharing their good and even bad experiences. So, thank you very much again for your nice review and I hope it will be very usefull for all other travellers who will read your reviews and thank you too for your help for making the best choice of hotels !

Reviewed July 18, 2014

This is a pleasant hotel, clean and comfortable, though perhaps lacking charm and style. Philipe is quite knowledgeable about the city. This is a good place to stay during the wonderful theater festival. There is a small outdoor pool, nice to cool off when temperatures hit 36°, as they have this July.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ramparts have a better view but are noisier.
2  Thank PacoParis
PHILIPPE D, Responsable réception at Thames Residence Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2014

Thank you for your review and for sharing your experience with other travelers. I just saw today that the answer I wrote following your review last July was rejected by Tripadvisor in July ! Staying during the Avignon theater festival isn't the same of course that staying at the Cannes festival, with all the luxurious hotels you might find on the Riviera ! It isn't the same public, it isn't the same guests, it isn't the same stars, it isn't the same luxurious hotels and palaces ! In Avignon, there are only 2 five stars hotels and 5 four stars hotels, and compared to the Riviera, more than 100 five stars hotels between Saint Tropez and Monaco, and 300 four stars hotels ! So, I agree totally with you, it is totally different staying in a palace there for 3000 euros per night and staying in a palace too in Avignon for only 800 euros per night ! Same for 4 stars hotels like us, Grand Hotel, Novotel, Hotel de l'Horloge and hotel des Frenes ! But leaving our passion to welcome all guests, you get all our facilities, services and recommendations like all our guests ! So, I hope you had nice time in Saint Tropez and Cannes last July ! And feel free to call me when driving in south again and we will try making you forgot the 2 nights you spent here last July too !
Best regards
Philippe

Reviewed July 16, 2014

We travelled as a family of four, and while compact, the rooms were clean and well appointed. Philippe, the manager, is very helpful: my two young children loved his suggestion to visit Haribo's (a confectionary museum) and the adults appreciated his advice on the local wine. It is a great base for day trips in Provence. Having free international calls was handy: we called Australia during one of the World Cup matches. I found this place on TripAdvisor and I would happily recommend it to others.

1  Thank SPJW
PHILIPPE D, Responsable réception at Thames Residence Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Dear Suzanne,
I am really happy having news from you and all your family ! The flight to Australia is so long trip that lot our guests from Australia, New Zealand, and Asia stay generally more than 10 days in Europe, most of them 2 or 3 weeks in Europe, that I am very worried about them since yesterday ! Yes, we love our guests too, even if we don't write it often ! They loved Provence, they loved Avignon, they loved their stay with us, but we, al the team and I and my female labrador too, we love our guests, all of them and we love your family ! You certainly heard about all news about the Malaysian plane shot down by a russian missile sent by the ukraine separatists and so many people died on this flight ! Therefore, I try to contact all our guests staying with us since 3 weeks ago for having good news from them, guests from Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, SIngapore and Jakarta ! I hope they all are in good shape with their family ! I am very anger to see that some people can shot down a plane with a missile in their hands given by russian crazy army people who wants to light on crisis in Europe like they did it on June 28th 1914, 100 years ago, killing the Archiduc in Sarajevo ! Russia is doing a bad choice helping all these kind of problem we heard, taking Krimee, helpinh Syria, and so many other unbelievable countries ! Hopefully, you are in good health and I hope all your family and friends too ! Thank you again for staying with us, thank you for having written a so nice review, and I hope to welcome you again in the future when "the world will be a little bit less crazy" ! Let me have a warm think for all families affected by this horrible war crime, all these families crying their lost relatives, all these families crying their anger in silence ! God bless them all !

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Phillipe the anfitrion, was very kind with us, worried about details, like our wedding anniversary date, with distinction and kindness. Our stay was way better than i thought. The only trouble we had was the internet connection. The room was big enough for our family. If im back to avignon, dont doubt going again to Thames. Congratulations for the way you treat the clients, it was wonderful!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
PHILIPPE D, Responsable réception at Thames Residence Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Dear Paulina,
Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Provence ! Thank you also for your nice review about Thames ! According your mention about the wifi network you couldn't get with your BlackBerry phone, I will have to remind first, that each suite, each apartment at Thames Resort Hotel has its own private and secure wifi network, network with its own password, and second, that I certainly didn't insist so far saying that the password has to be written as it has to be, figures as figures, small letters as small letters, capital letters as capital letters ! If there is any change in one small letter instead a capital letter, you would never go through and will have trouble to get in ! For such trouble to any other need of help or assistance, I am here 24/7, and for resolvin such problem, all our guests has my personal mobile phone for contacting me, anytime, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week ! It is easier for me resolving such trouble of password ! Having a real nice internet access is a basic service to provide and I am really sorry, you didn't have it with your BlackBerry mobile phone ! I am confused I didn't convinced you letting me know this trouble before the day you left ! For your next stay with us, I will make sure you get the connection on your BlackBerry phone !
Waiting for welcoming you again in Provence,

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Good location, near bus stop and Main Street. You can enjoy in five star hotel environment but cheaper room fee., Nice reception, Warm room, I really like the hotel. The manager always provide the best information, free telephone, nice kitchen. He provide the Nexpress cafe, that's very good.

• Stayed: June 2014
PHILIPPE D, Responsable réception at Thames Residence Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Dear Vivi,
Thank you very much for your review about your stay with us ! Perfect means top hotel and I think that is the combination of a good location, nice and warm suites, nice services, nice welcoming which make it great ! I hope lot of other hotels will get same reviews like this ! You were surprised having Nespresso machine in your suite and since more than one year, we offer Nespresso every day to our guests, not only one time when you bought 100 dosen like at the Nespresso shops ! And George Clooney, the ambassador of Nespresso in Europe and Asia will still say : What else ? I will answer George we offer finest ceulan and Earl grey tea to our guests too ! They will have their Nespresso after lunch or diner, their tea at 5PM ! What else ? will ask George again ? be patient and wait a little bit ! We offer Nespresso dozen last year for January and made it every day since this time and still today ! But today, you get some wonderful tea too ! More services, more facilities, more and more !
Thank you Vivi for letting travellers know about Nespresso nd from now, for the tea ! Waiting for welcoming all of you again in Provence !
Cheers !