“No More, No Less”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Avignon
Hostel and Camping Bagatelle
Ranked #19 of 23 Specialty Lodging in Avignon
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We recently camped here for three nights, back packed in with our tent. It was okay, nothing fantastic. Our site had little grass but was flat and free of rocks. When we arrived our neighbours were very friendly and helpful. Our site was next to a concrete wall on the east side which we saw as a blessing because it provided some much needed shade from the early morning June sun. However on the other side of the wall was a private pool which was quite loud during the day (children screaming, etc) and very loud with an event the Friday night.

The reception for camping was not exactly fantastic but everyone else working at the campsite and hostel that we encountered was very nice. There is wi-fi but apparently it is paid however a visitor at the hostel informed us that the hostel reception (different from hotel reception) was giving the password for free.

The washrooms were very clean and smelled good (like shampoo) except a very big surprise for me coming from Canada on my first stop in France - the toilets have no seats! I luckily quickly discovered that there is a handicap washroom that DOES have a seat so don't be discouraged!

To get to Avignon you have to climb up some stairs and cross the bridge which isn't great in the heat but there was a great breeze which made it bearable.

It wasn't horrible but it wasn't fantastic, very cheap compared to Avignon's many expensive options.

Many friendly cats on the property.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed here while cycle touring.the campsite is fairly close to town (10min walk). The tent sites are shady, but there is very little grass and almost all sites were dusty bare earth. The toilet block was also pretty average!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed August 6, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. We have travelled around Europe for 4.5 months now and this place is the worst by far. The two nights we were here the entire place was taken over by school kids. The noise was terrible and no noise control here as they went all night both nights. After complaining to the staff after the first night her attitude was terrible, like she has done what she can and had a terrible attitude like she couldn't give a crap about it really. Checking in was terrible, they were so disorganised and wouldn't of known if there backsides were on fire, we waited 2 hours before they would ever look at us. Also we ate here and the food was appauling. Just an example I got given boiled beans that would of been so overcooked and old that I wouldnt of fed them to my dog. All the food here was terrible.

If you are game enough and stay here then expect little or no sleep especially if you are a light sleeper like me. My bed was the worst bed in the entire place I am sure, so flat and uncomfortable and creaky that others were complaining but I couldnt do anything about it. Also be very careful in the showers as they cubicles are tiny and getting out of them wasn't fun and I ended up slipping and hurting my arm, shoulder, head, knee. I was so lucky not to knock myself out as I hit my head on the floor as it was slippery. My injuries could of been worse but I am grateful I was able to walk and continue my trip. I didn't report the accident because I knew they wouldn't of cared as the staff aren't nice and abrupt and lazy. (except for one girl in the restaurant).

This may sound a bit harsh to you? but this is review is 100% honest, I DO NOT sugar coat any of my reviews. Its a cheap campsite for a reason, GO ELSEWHERE, you will thank me later I am sure.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Butterflygirl54
Reviewed November 10, 2009

I camped here, in a massive dirt site with not too much rubbish from previous occupants strewn around. My neighbours appeared to live on site (or had been travelling a little too long). The toilets were distressing for a girl: no seats and the smell of urine was so strong. That said there were constantly women there cleaning.
The location was stunning: just on the other side of the river from the Pont d'Avignon so it had its merits.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2008

"Bagatelle", I believe, means "trifle", and this, it is not. It is in a fabulous location and, while basic to the point of being spartan, it is exceptional value if one considers that the hostel rate is under E16 per night and includes breakfast.

I shared my room (2 bunk beds) with 3 other women, toilets and showers down the hall. The door to the room squeaked and, when I complained about it the next morning, they promptly lubed it so that any late night run to the bathroom did not squeak the others awake.

I found the staff friendly and hospitable. Would not be surprised if they get a little terse during high season - I was there in late Sept. so they were not very busy.

I would stay there again, if my budget demanded it.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 5, 2008

I booked a single room half board in the Hotel part.
The room was basic but massive. There was a double bed and shower and sink in the room with toliet in corrider.
The breakfast was OK, the evening meals were great (3 courses).

The best thing is the location, you are 10 minutes walk to the city walls of Avignon.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank skiing100
Reviewed September 30, 2007

That "hostel" doesn't deserves the name. I was there with some guys for sight-seeing south france.
But this was the worst hostel i ever was!
The romms were small and delivered with beds till it was full. There was hardly any air to breath, and i'm not exaggerating. We were there with about 30 persons any every day other groups moved in. But all of them were noisy and no security stopped them screaming around (at night, after 11 PM).
One night the fire alarm rang and the security man walked calm through the halls as if nothing happens instead of acting!
We felt like in a prison, everything was unlovely, no pictures on the walls, old building.
The breakfast was very spare.
I'll show some pictures of the "bathroom" later.

By the way, there was neither swimming pool, like it is said in the description nor a bathroom in the room itself (we had booked 6 rooms, none of them was with a bathroom).

I never want to go back there, i'll hope some of you follow my advice, there are so much more other, nice hotels near/in Avignon, try them!

• Stayed: May 2007