Hotel le Medieval
$128
Auberge de Cassagne & Spa(Le Pontet)
$224
$199
Hotel de l'Horloge(Avignon)
$106
$102
Le Magnan Hotel(Avignon)(Great Value!)
$90
$244
$233
$745
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsno liftles hallesgreat locationplace piemedieval townthe hotel managerminute walk from the hotelhotel is locatedwould definitely stay here againyogurttea and coffeesmall kitchenpope's palacevisit avignonroom was largeold cityluggage
Reviewed July 21, 2009

While we had wonderful interactions with a morning clerk, the man working in the afternoon when we arrived was exceedingly rude and greatly colored our visit. Be forewarned, driving to this hotel, within the walled city of Avignon, requires VERY EXPLICIT directions - not forthcoming from the clerk we spoke with. We finally arrived to drop off our luggage, after 20-30 minutes of trying to get there on very narrow one-way roads. The clerk gave us a map to the car park and drew a sloppy line with a highlighter to show us how to get to the car park. The line fell between two streets, and you guessed it - we took the wrong one. We ended up in narrow alleys too small to turn the corner, and after another 45+ minutes of attempting every possible maneuver, we ended up backing out and depending on the kindness of a workman going off shift, to lead us on the 7 min. circuitous route to the car park.

We returned to the hotel (steaming), only to find the same clerk in a shouting match with a French woman and telling her to go elsewhere if she wasn't happy about something or other. He had said the same thing to me when I asked about alternative rooms to the 4th floor walkup he showed me. Did I mention that after moving in, the toilet didn't work and that I had to climb down the 4 flights of stairs to get the key to another room, and get the fifth degree from him about what the problem was? He later huffed and puffed up to the room and acknowledged that the toilet was indeed broken and gave me a key to the room up a few more stairs. I had assumed he was only rude to non-native speakers.

A great location, adequate rooms but prepare for the abuse.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SandyK03
Reviewed July 17, 2009

I really enjoyed my stay in the Hotel Medieval. The quaint hotel is right in the heart of Avignon. The staff make this hotel with their friendly, welcoming and helpful attitudes. The rooms are basic but clean. The reception area and courtyard are lovely.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 7, 2009

I stayed a couple of nights in the Medieval and thought it was great. It has that rare and precious thing not often seen in French hotels: the single room. Room decor a little dated but for 53 Euro a night I wasn't complaining. Reception staff were very helpful and there is a nice little courtyard garden. Had no trouble finding it and it's just five minutes' walk from the pope's palace: turn right coming out of the hotel, walk up the cobbled street and keep walking. You come out under the archway to the right of the palace as you face it. A great experience and I'll be back.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank ChicChantal
Reviewed July 6, 2009

There is a bit of irony in writing a glowing review for a hotel - after a point it's so good that you dont want to tell anyone about it, just because it makes it that much harder to find a room when you go back. Nontheless, our trip to Avignon was so greatly enhanced by our stay at Le Medieval that it only seems fair to share it with others. The biggest challenge in writing this review is finding areas to critique; if I'm too positive you're going to think I'm getting paid to write this (I'm not).

The Medieval is very well located, somehow managing to be off of the beaten path, yet central to everything in the city. By foot, it's 5 minutes from the Palais Des Papes, 3 minutes from Place Des Horloges, 2 minutes from one of the best meals I've enjoyed in France (and I say this as a foodie who used to live there) at the Vache Aux Carreaux. In short, it is close enough to enjoy all that Avignon has to offer, without creating a claustrophobic sense of drowining in the tourist mayhem along the main drag.

Perhaps the biggest and most plesant surprise of the stay was the staff. Michael is fluent in both english and french, and is an extraordinarily valuable resource for first time visitors. Full of honest and insightful input into things to do/places to eat/what to avoid in the city, his efforts to make us feel welcome are more the provenance of a 4 star hotel. Andre, a fluent french speaker, managed to communicate quite effectivley, and had a great sense of humor. My partner and I showed up with no plans, no idea of what to do, and about a million tons of baggage, and the staff at Medieval helped us get set up comfortably, and find some great activities, incluiding a phenomenal trip to taste wines at chateauneuf du pape.

The room was everything that it needed to be for a two star, but greatly enhanced by a view out the window to see the Palais Des Papes. While there is no elevator, it was completley worth the hike to the top floor to enjoy this amazing view. Amenities included big comfy bed, a small TV, and a great shower. The air conditioning was not always as cool as we could've liked, but it was *very* hot and I'm a lightweight from a city where it rarely goes above 65 F.

The hotel itself is nice - it was once the home of a Cardinal, and has a great medieval feel to it. There is an area where you can enjoy a picnic lunch (visit Les Halles to do your shopping the as a local would, and be sure to sample the fabulous wines of the region), a comfy waiting area, and a little kitchenette for breakfast. (we didnt have the breakfasts, so no comment on that, but it looked cute.)

In short, we had a phenomenal time at this place, and think you will, too. It's a two star hotel with four star service, in a great location.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank evangerber
Reviewed May 22, 2009

This was a great little spot with an enthusiastic staff, especially Mike (who spoke great English). The room was clean and overlooked a cool little courtyard. Quiet area but close to everything. I definitely had a great experience here. The in-room , free WiFi was a big plus.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo