“Nice little hotel in Avignon...we'll be back!”
Review of Hotel le Medieval

Hotel le Medieval
Ranked #26 of 68 Hotels in Avignon
Reviewed July 14, 2011

This is a rather out of the way little hotel in Avignon, France. The rooms are suite style with ovens and small refrigerators. The beds were large and comfortable compared to many small hotels in Europe. All in all it's a very charming establishment. They have an English speaking person on the desk most evenings who is quite knowledgable about the area and very friendly. I will note that it is not handicapped accessible as you need to take stairs to the rooms. Parking is not free, but hotel patrons get a 20% discount at the local garage. It's very close to the main attractions in Avignon (especially the Palais de Papes).

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelingScientist13

Reviewed May 23, 2011

Only about 18 minute walk (slowly) to the train and a 3 minute walk to the Palais Des Papes. Amazing location yet on a quiet street. We would definitely recommend it and go back also!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Palais Des Papes.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Ankoo
Reviewed July 27, 2010

I arrived at Le Medieval after days of backpacking around Provence, exhausted, hot, sun burnt, and a little tired of speaking my gradeschool through college broken french. The receptionist who was working behind the desk at my arrival was OUTSTANDING. He was pleasant and funny and made me feel so welcomed - he also ordered a taxi for me for very early the next morning which did arrive exactly when we had requested. My room was large, and comfortable however did not have air conditioning. They did provide me with a large fan that worked fairly well, however I did shut the windows because my room was located on the first floor, and the only con, the hotel is located on a fairly loud and dirty street - it smelled slightly like a NYC subway station. (My shower was not on a timer, contrary to the earlier review.) Other than that, my stay was short but very pleasant!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 7, 2010

We loved this place. Centrally located (2 minutes on foot to the Palais des Papes, Place de l'Horloge and Place Saint-Pierre) and pleasant rooms. Yes, the shower is timed, but we appreciate the hotel's proactive approach to water conservation. The hotel appears dark from the outside, but its beautifully lit with natural light inside due to its gorgeous marble staircase reflecting light from the courtyard. The staff was very attentive and accommodating - and they were very gracious about storing our tandem (we were on a 2 wk cycling tour through Provence) in their private garage.

The one con I have is their breakfast - we were told by the receptionist to reserve our breakfast early because they "only serve the freshest ingredients". Well, they don't - our jam and yogurt were in plastic disposable containers and our coffee was reheated. Skip the hotel breakfast (7 Euros) and have your morning espresso and croissant at the patisserie in Place Saint-Pierre instead.

Despite their crappy breakfast, we had a wonderful stay and totally recommend Hotel le Medieval

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tarinay
Reviewed October 13, 2009

This hotel has been written up in several guide books and gotten great reviews. So I went. Yeah, I know it is a "budget hotel" - but still - I expect more I arrived at 9:30 pm to a dark hotel that was locked - but the night watchman was there with my key. My room was on the first level and it was also very dark going up the stairs and into the hall. ( Does the place have to look so ominous? Once inside. I thought my single room was quite cramped. The single twin bed barely fit the room. The sheets didn't match - and the bedspread was old - they didn't even try to make the bed look nice. One tiny beat up pillow with a flimsy pillow case. The furniture was old and seriously could use replacing. The armoir was too short to hang my coat or jacket in. The floors were old linoleum. The lamps had the lowest wattage bulbs that are made. I mean, come on!
Breakfast was corn flakes type cereal, commercial baguette, juice, tea, coffee or hot chocolate, canned fruit cocktail. 7 Euros.
If the place is always booked and it is so popular - maybe an upgrade of the rooms are in order. Yeah, it was sortta clean. But I wont go back. Lots of other choices.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank cordelia11
Reviewed September 24, 2009

Price is cheap, service is good. Hotel facilities are very old. Overall i didnt like it. LOL

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EvilCatCat
Reviewed September 1, 2009

The short walk to the Palais des Papes means that this very adequate little hotel is located in the narrow back streets of the medieval city. I would advise parking at the well sign-posted "Palais des Papes Parking" (it's about 10 Euro for 24 hours) and walking the 5 minutes or so to the hotel - much preferable to negotiating the narrow streets.

The rooms are clean and comfortable but, naturally for a hotel of this class, basic. I found the staff to be charming and welcoming (with a special mention for Michael at Reception, who was delightful).

The location is hard to beat - a five minute stroll to the Palace and the heart of the old city with many restaurants and bars, but in a quiet side-street with none of the noise so often found in French cities.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family