Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

from $63.40
from $126.70
from $149.80
3,295 results
All reviews audio guide pope's palace catholic church light show impressive building worth a visit fascinating history middle ages take your time modern art visit avignon rooms tablet vatican frescoes furnishings grandeur
Reviewed 2 days ago

I had reservations about whether to tour inside as I was told that the rooms are quite bare. However, to my surprise, they've used the best of technology to bring the place alive. You get a personal I Pad and earphones. As you walk around and hear the explanations, you place the I Pad on a position in the room and suddenly an image comes to live as the room originally looked centuries ago. You move the I Pad up and down and round and you have a full 360 degrees view in bright colours. Amazing and magnificent. Without doubt the best I've ever seen. I presume they'll be using this technology in other places, but this was the first time I came across it. A superb experience

Reviewed 4 days ago

I went with my family to the Pope Palace in Avignon last summer and I was stunned ! It's amazing how after all these years, it's still beautiful and it's really impressive. The walls are huge and the seillings are painted with beautiful designs on them. I learned a lot of things about France's history that i didn't know.
But the first thing I noticed when I arrived at the Palace, is how cool of a movie set that would be. I would totally imagine a historical movie or even a action sequence being shot on the giant walls.

Reviewed 5 days ago via mobile

A must when you visit France. It’s just a 2 hour in train away from Paris and it’s an amazing piece of architecture, with an awesome view. It’s a little complicated to get to the Palais des Papes from the TGV station but it is worth it. It’s better to buy your tickets online, there is no extra fee, it is the same price and you skip the ticket line. If possible buy the Palais and Pont ticket, because separated is more expensive. Don’t miss the virtual tour, is so helpful!

Reviewed 6 days ago

This is a must do when visiting Avignon. The virtual reality iPads bring the Palais to life. A fascinating time in history and quite an amazing architectural and cuktural experience.

Reviewed 6 days ago

Palais des Papes [The Palace of the Popes] is the largest surviving Gothic palaces in Europe and one of the most fortified. It is a great place to visit when in Avignon

Reviewed 6 days ago

What can I say about the papal palace. We had high expectations, it was the reason we came to Avignon--and it delivered. We spent a half day wandering through the rooms, courtyards, towers, and exhibits. The audit guide is very informative, and the little tablets that come with it show you how a room looked in the middle ages full of paint and furniture, and had learning games for kids to play as they went from room to room was really neat and entertaining. Our friends and us all went at separate times, and all enjoyed the experience.

Reviewed 1 week ago

As part of a Road Scholar trip, my wife and I toured the Palais des Papes. We had the advantage of a personal guide for our group and heard so many stories about the era when there was a pope in France and also when there were two popes at the same time. There are many rooms but the ones I liked the most were the huge hall where food was served and the stairs to the top where one could see the countryside for miles in many directions. I have many photos but they are similar to the ones on the web site for the palace. We took our time going through the castle after the tour guide left us. Be sure to visit the park right next to the palace (when facing the castle by the center where all the tents with souvenirs are sold, head just left of the castle up some stairs for a beautiful overlook of the famous bridge and the surrounding countryside.

Reviewed 1 week ago

visiting the palace with the modern tablet and guide makes the experience better. you can see the rooms as if you were visiting them in the 14th century.

Reviewed 1 week ago

I lived in the area in 1981 and have not been back to Avignon since then. My only memory was of eating steak and chips at one of the restaurants outside the Palace.

We visited on a very wet day. The technology needed for the self-guided tour was up to the minute as we were all issued with iPads and there were certain points in each room where we scanned the bar code and it gave further information. As it was all self-guided, we could take it at our own pace without fear of "information overload".

Had the weather not been so wet, we could have enjoyed views over the river more and possibly had lunch in the cafe.

As the major sight to visit in Avignon, it was well worth the entrance fee.

1  Thank lillibet12309
Reviewed 1 week ago

This is a beautiful old series of buildings in the center of Avignon. The square was lively and full of musical performances and places to sit a relax. The old architecture was magnificent and inspiring. Attended a performance during the summer festival there and while crowded was sell set up. Lovely town full of history and great places to stay and eat.