“well located, good 3 star”

Mercure Pont d'Avignon Centre
Ranked #12 of 69 Hotels in Avignon
Reviewed October 1, 2010

this is a fine 3star hotel, the location is superb, a minute stroll to Place d'Horloge and all the restaurants off the main drag. Stayed for 2 nights and it works...good value, location and very effecient staff at reception.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank molslols

Reviewed September 21, 2010

Stayed 2 nights in #225, a corner room. Room was very adequate & comfortable, and extremely quiet. Hotel location is great -- 2-3 minutes to Palais des Papes and town center. Excellent breakfast at 13 euros -- 2 for 1 if you are 55+. Front desk very helpful.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Foodiehiker
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I arrived very late at night after a long journey nd the gentleman night receptionist sat there with no offer of help with bags . I had to walk 10 steps down a staircase with a bag in each hand.Check-in was quick and I was given a room on the 1st floor.Looking forward to a good night's sleep, I went into the room and was disgusted by the most unpleasant smell,like that dead rats! Not having the energy to go and struggle for a change at that hour of night, I decided to sleep and hift in the morning.It was the most dreadful night of my holiday !! I kept waking up in a state of claustrophobia and nausea.
The morning staff probably knew about the room and shifted me to another one as soon as I approached them. The public area also has a strong musty smell, except the refurbished breakfast room and bar. Food at the breakfast buffet was good but the coffeee machine was broken for 3 days out of the 5 that I stayed, as a result getting a hot cup of fresh cofee was impossible.
I would not stay at the hotel again if it is not for its unmatched location besides the Palace of the Popes.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Polka13
Reviewed July 18, 2010

This was the perfect, functional hotel located right within the city walls - right next to the Pont d'Avignon and just a couple of steps away from the Cite des Papes, restaurants and shopping. The rooms were small, basic but comfortable and functional. This is exactly what we wanted since we did not intend to spend too much time in the hotel room (and you shouldn't either if you are going to the lovely city of Avignon). The staff were perfectly nice. I really appreciated the fact that there was a secure area for our luggage after we checked out.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MagicalRhyme
Reviewed July 8, 2010

Having stayed in a couple of other hotels in previous years in Avignon, we found this one won hands down for location.
We had a room on the second floor, looking out on the city walls. We found the room to be a good size with plenty of hangers and adequate shelf and table top space. All was clean and the decor was in a reaonable state with a few marks and scratches. The bath had seen better days though.
While we were there, for four nights, we had no trouble with noise, lack of hot water, or the air conditioning.
Breakfast was a serve yourself buffet with a fairly good selection to choose from and was located in a very pleasant conservatory setting.
Overall it was standard Mercure, with a premium charge because of the popularity of Avignon.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Geoff & Barbara
Reviewed June 24, 2010

Ah, to live near the Pont d"Avignon! nice room, but water in room was not hot 3 of 4 days, aironditioning didn't work 3 or 4 days. Noise from construction above our room 9 - 6 each day. internet computer for guests not working all 4 days. Had to drag heavy luggage up stairs to Registration. Our guaranteed room rate was not honored until we procuced an e-mail confirming the rate. Location was excellent. Room was quiet at night. great breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CintiKidCincinnati
Reviewed June 11, 2010

I stayed four nights in this pleasant hotel. It is right around the corner from the Pont d'Avignon, and just down a few stairs from the Palais des Papes, and a few blocks from the central squares of the old city. Reading the reviews from mid-May, which complained loudly, I was a bit concerned, but I had no problems. The hotel is clean and comfortable, though not luxurious. It has a modern feel, so it's not for you if you want something with old-Europe character. Some earlier reviewers mention river views, but you may need to request such and they may cost more; my room faced out onto their little courtyard. It has an underground parking garage, great for auto travelers. In room wireless high-speed internet, important for me. The desk staff were pleasant and helpful, e.g., I asked them to help me book an excursion. I did not use their restaurant or bar; for breakfast, I walked a few blocks to a boulangerie and had a pleasant croissant at an outdoor table, for lower cost.

One potential drawback: on the other side of the courtyard is a high wall; beyond that high wall is the Place de Palais des Papes, a large open square where, on the nights I stayed, they had set up a huge stage and sound system for a public concert. Fortunately these concerts wound down by 10-11pm, in my case, but watch out for such events on the dates you might choose. Other than that, this hotel is in a quiet section of town.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business