“Perfect studio apartment for touring dance stage manager”

Autour du Petit Paradis
Ranked #5 of 56 Avignon B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 28, 2011

I spent the month of February in Avignon with my dance company for at the annual Festival Les Hivernales sponsored by the Centre de Developpement Choreographique. After spending five days being miserable in the rather abysmal accommodations that had been arranged for me—a dingy flat with no internet and no shower a mile from the center of town—I struck out on my own to see whether I could find more comfortable and convenient accommodations that I could afford for an extended stay on my modest tour compensation.

I visited six Avignon hotels on my list of potentials gleaned from my internet research. Of the first five, none were ideal; I had mentally decided to settle for a hotel with a half-fridge that had WiFi available in the lobby if the last place didn’t turn out to be better.

On the sixth try, however, I found the ideal solution: The Autour du Petit Paradis turned out to be absolutely wonderful for me. The owners Sabine and Patrick were friendly, welcoming, and the consummate hosts. They rented me a studio apartment that had everything I needed: A full kitchenette with fridge, hotplates, microwave, sink, dishes, pots, etc; a large, comfortable bed; a real shower; and free WiFi internet access right in my room (which turns out to be a rarity in Avignon, and is absolutely vital for a business traveler like myself). I had a lovely large window that opened up to let in fresh air and the view of the street outside the hotel; and I had full control over the temperature in the room via a digital thermostat.

To my amazement, my studio at Sabine and Patrick’s place was not only the most well-appointed housing option I looked at; it was also closest to the theater at which I was working, and it turned out to be the most affordable option as well for my lengthy stay. Sabine and Patrick bested the price of my next least expensive option by a fair amount.

I recommend the Autour du Petit Paradis to all travelers visiting Avignon, for professional or personal travel, who want to enjoy the benefits of an immaculate small-business hotel run by the friendliest, most personable people you could hope to meet. Sabine and Patrick are both fluent in English and take very good care of their customers. They even picked me up at my former accommodations to drive me back to their hotel, and at the end of my visit offered to drive me to the train station, to save me having to schlep my heavy bags on foot.

Avignon has two wonderful annual performing arts festivals: the February Festival Les Hivernales, and the much larger Festival d'Avignon during the month of July, each showing works in theaters all over Avignon. If you're taking part in either, as a member of a performing company or as an audience member, enjoy making this great little hotel your home base of operations.

All in all I just can’t say enough positive things about this little gem of a place, and the wonderful couple that own it. Certainly it’s the best housing experience I’ve ever had while on tour.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed March 14, 2011

As a sole woman traveller with no car, Autour du Petit Paradis is ideally located inside the old walls, in a quiet street within easy walking distance of local trains and buses to other Provence locations as well as the local attractions. In a beautifully renovated old building, my studio had everything I needed and was tasefully appointed. One of the best features of this place are the owners, Patrick and Sabine are open, friendly and happy to make suggestions about where to eat and what to see and how to go about it. I loved coming home to AdPP after a day's wandering.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 4, 2011

We had a lovely stay at the end of February. The house has been completely renovated and tastefully decorated. The interiors are very relaxing. We stayed in a one-bedroom apartment and other family members stayed in a studio apartment. Both apartments were fairly spacious with comfy beds, clean and pleasant bathrooms, and small, well-equipped kitchens. There's a quiet courtyard inside the building where guests can sit and soak up the sun - which was possible even in February!

The location is excellent. We travelled by train and it's about a 10 minute walk from Avignon railway station and the drop-off point for the shuttle bus from the TGV station. The central location meant that everything we wanted to see was in walking distance, but it's tucked away in a quiet street, so we heard no noise at night. Just round the corner is a gourmet food hall, open every morning apart from Monday, as well as a couple of bakeries and a small supermarket. There's also a small playground - good for our little son. In fact we found Avignon a good place to explore with a toddler as there are pedestrianised streets, big squares to run around, parks, playgrounds and duck ponds.

However, the best bit about our stay was the hosts, Sabine and Patrick. They were very welcoming and helpful during our stay, and gave us a wonderful surprise - presents for our son, who was about to celebrate his second birthday!

We highly recommend Autour du Petit Paradis and wish we could visit again soon.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 23, 2011

We had a wonderful six days in Avignon, renting one of the studios in this beautifully renovated, stylishly decorated property. The studio was lovely and warm in a week of cold wind, well-equipped with all we needed. Extremely comfy bed, excellent bathroom with great shower, perfect small and efficient kitchen packed with everything - including a fancy coffee-maker AND a cafetiere! They have thought of everything. Obviously lots of care has gone into the tasteful decor - all coordinated in lovely colours, extremely chic, elegant and well-maintained - a delightful place right in the centre of town. With extra touches such as plenty of information on local attractions, trains and so on, big bowls of sweets here and there to take as you like, not to mention the warm welcome from Patrick and Sabine, I recommend it highly for anybody! Would love to go back some time.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2011

Travelling solo can often be a daunting experience, and where you stay and the people you meet are of utmost importance. Sabine and Patrick's warm spirt and generosity were heart warming from the start. Always welcoming, with an abundance of ideas and suggestions, and great insight into the local area. The hotel was beautifully renovated in the style of the region, with exquisite attention to detail. The area and its surroundings were beautiful, with plenty to see and do, enhanced further by the wonderful warm reception of the local people. I would definitely return!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 7, 2011

My partner and I stayed at AdPP over the holiday season in December and it was absolutely wonderful. First off the location was excellent for exploring all of Avignon and very close to the train station for daily excursions. Sabine and Patrick were most gracious without being too obtrusive, they politely made recommendations of local restaurants, towns to visit, and gave cost effective advice on mobility needs, i.e. taxis. The rooms were outfitted with basic needs for cooking, eating in, and relaxing. We ended up staying in 3 different rooms and would highly recommend the two larger apartments over the the smaller rooms. L+R

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 22, 2010

I am so glad that we made the decision to base ourselves in Avignon when travelling around the Provence for one week. And I am more glad that we decided to stay in Autour du Petit Paradis - it really made it that much better!

You would see lots of reviewers commented on Sabine and Patrick being very helpful - I don't need to say anymore except that all those reviews were true, and they truly made us feel very welcomed. Their attention to detail was amazing, and they really went out of their way to make you comfortable.

The location of the apartments is great - inside the Wall and 1 minute from a secured carpark (which costs around 12 euros per 24 hours), and the ground floor of the carpark building is a gourmet market, where you could get everything you need for a great meal. We went twice and loved it!

The room was well laid out and reasonably spacious. We got the duplex and it suited the two of us well. The only slight problem I had was that the toilet is downstairs, and the stairs are rather steep and narrow - so in the middle of the night it could be problematic if one needs to go to the bathroom.

Avignon itself is a great base for exploring the Provence. We had a car which we used for 5 days out of the 7 days - and you do need a car if you want to visit all the neighbouring towns. We had a couple of pretty big day trips, and were always very happy to come back to Avignon - it's quite special and pretty. We ate all our dinners in Avignon too - lots of top choices here, and a few top ones in TripAdvisor are quite near the apartment too, which was a bonus.

Oh and the free internet is always appreciated - we managed to watch a rugby game between the All Blacks (NZ) and England online, which was great.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple