“Silence of the LampChops”
Review of Opera Cafe

Opera Cafe
Ranked #169 of 631 Restaurants in Avignon
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I was debating between the LampChops and the Salmon... thank god I went with the Lamp Chops. It was easily the best Lamp Chops I've had in years.
My wife enjoyed her plate, but not nearly as much as I. Therefore, while my wife would have give this restaurant 4 stars, I happily give it 5.
If I were still in Avignon, I would return just for the Lamb, and would also recommend others to do the same.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

The food was OK, but not as good as it was priced or presented. Service was VERY slow.
We got there twice, since it was right next to our hotel and recomended by one of the staff, and was somewhat disapointed twice.
NOT recomended

Reviewed October 5, 2012

This was a meant to be dinner with a gathering of siblings and wives to celebrate a special birthday. We had come all the way from England for this! Having booked online for a party of ten and received TWO emails confirming the booking - we were very disappointed on arrival at the restaurant to find that there was no trace of the booking in their diary. A very off-hand waiter agreed that there was a table (luckily the restaurant was not full that night) and pushed several together to accomodate our clan. 20 minutes later having had no attention whatsoever and having seen three waiters watching sport on the wall television I got up to tell one of them - in French - that we were ready to order. When eventually the dishes arrived one of our party was unable to cut his meat at all - it being entirely made of gristle. The waiter arrived and removed it without a word and 15 minutes later another plate was delivered without a word of apology.
To cap it all one of our party was ill that night and the next day which he attributed to his choice of food that night.
We will not be visiting this restaurant again - a shame since when we were last in Avignon early in the year the lunch that they served had been fine. There is nothing like really bad and discourteous service and aweful food to put one off a place - and in France, too - of ALL places. Shame on you Opera Cafe!

1  Thank silverpye
Reviewed October 1, 2012

On the recommendation of our hotelier, who must not eat out very often, we decided to go to l'Opera. Big mistake.
Nothing clicks in this tacky, shabby place. Food was mediocre at best, waiter was aloof and unhelpful. or a brasserie, the prices were high. One of the AC ducts was hanging out of the ceiling, held up by a thread.
I had entrecote of beef - it was stringy, except for the part which was so tough it was was inedible. When I brought this up to the waiter, he shrugged his shoulder and brought us the bill.

1  Thank sarapalms
Reviewed August 20, 2012

It's well located near Palais du papes and in the very touristy centre, but the food is very good. We ate beef steak , cooked just right , the scallops a little too salty , good wine easy wine list.