“GREAT FOOD...iffy service.”

Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Food was outstanding, but despite having several French people in the gp to do the talking/manuevering, there was a lot of confusion, long waits, and charges for things thant shouldn't have been charged for. But definitely a excellent meal.

1  Thank craftyphd

Reviewed July 13, 2012

It has been around two years since we last went to l'Atelier , The reason for not going back earlier was that our last experience hadn't lived up to our previous ones. In all we've been six or seven times over the last few years since it received its first Michelin star, Depending on the time of the year you go you will be served local seasonal ingredients discovering ways of eating vegetables that you had never imagined. . Previously these were organic and I suppose that the produce that is served. today would be if it were cultivated in the restaurant's own vegetable garden. However I did notice that neither the olive oll nor the tapenade that was for sale was not organic, so I'm not sure about the other ingredients used in the dishes or touches.
We were surprised on our arrival to find that l'Atelier had expanded and is now three times bigger than before. The entrance is to the left of the restaurant and you are accompanied to the area where you will begin your culinary experience, Comfortable armchairs in a minimalist decor with the relaxing sound of a running fountain set the scene for your aperitif. We chose to order our wine at this point, According to the sommelier all the wines served at l'Atelier are from biodynamic vineyards, This is in my opinion the top end of organic farming, They probably contain very little SO2 which is responsible for headaches in sensitive people, We chose a rose at 45 Euros from the Languedoc area, We had 4 mises en bouche and were then escorted to our table,
The restaurant has doubled in size and is now composed of two rooms .This means that the dining experience is much more enjoyable and more intimate, whilst the number of diners has remained the same, Now about the food. I must say that since our last visit ,at the same time of the year , all the dishes we were served were new, It was a gastronomic journey of amazing flavour combinations. Every dish is beautifully presented , the work of an artist, For me a couple of the dishes didn't quite pull it off, but overall it was a fantastic culinary voyage. You may find that you don't have that much on the plate but by the end of the meal (95 Euro menu) even the heartiest of appetites will be satisfied, Your taste buds are continuously surprised and sollicited with each touche, Accompanying your meal the is a beautiful and very generous assortment of breads. I wanted to ask for a doggy bag but didn't because you want to taste all of them but have to excercise restraint if you want to finish your meal,The service was excellent and overall although 95 euros is a fair price to pay it is definintely worth it when you consider the work that goes into each of those plates of food. Congratulations Jean-Luc Rabanel, we will be back soon.

1  Thank PELISSANNE
Reviewed May 25, 2012

It is the best degustation menu I have had so far. The flavours, textures and quality is simply incomparable. Chef Jean-Luc is a genius and is combination of flavours and ingredients is simply out of this world.
the staff made this a truly delightful experience by introducing the dishes with care and testing my ingredient knowledge. Chef came out twice to check if I was enjoying the meal. Overall a truly special experience and I would not hesitate repeating if I got the chance.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

If you want to have a party in your mouth and a feast for your eyes, do not miss l"Atelier Restaurant and the cooking magic of Chef Jean-Luc Rabanel. We went to lunch and chose the 7-course meal. We had very high expectations and in spite of this, those expectations were exceeded. In a word - amazing.

1  Thank NeesyL
Reviewed April 9, 2012

My wife and I were in Rue Des Carmes looking for the famous chef's Atelier. We found the address, but all doors seemed barred. Down the street was a busy little bistro that bore the label NEXT TO JEAN-LUC RABANEL. We tried unsuccessfully to attract the attention of the staff, and our eyes caught a figure in the middle of the road carefully watching what was going on. I went over and asked him where I could find the entry to the Atelier Jean-Luc Rabanel. "Come with me and I will show you", he said. "I am Jean-Luc Rabanel". I tell you this to impress upon you the level of detail and the constant availability of this mercurial chef who has won 2 Michelin Stars and Gault Millaut's "French Chef of the Year" award. The interior of the Atelier is only a little more sophisticated than that of the Bistro, and rates a single crossed cutlery icon in the Red Guide. It is very busy, and not easy to get a reservation. The menu is quite restrictive and is not available either on the net or on the door outside. The cheapest is billed as "Seven Flavours" and costs 55 euros. The only other available is double the "flavours" and double the euros. One flavour approximately equals one plate, and you have no idea what is coming until it comes, but a discussion does occur at the beginning about allergies and dislikes. This takes place in an anteroom where some simple and rather weird bites are served: beetroot chips; fried plantain with two oriental sauces; warm potato filled with tuna and a light wasabi spread. These came with three warm bread sticks flavoured with different vegetables and followed by regular rolls. We were then shown into a more comfortable room where our "flavours" were served. 1. Red rice of the Camargues in the form of popcorn was dressed with various leaves and topped with a delicious herbal sorbet. 2. Ricotta cheese ice-cream swam in a soup of roquette with a crunchy biscuit containing Parmigiano. 3. Millefeuille of foie gras and mushrooms was dressed in flowers and pureed onions. 4. Cod on a bed of polenta, and tomato sauce with clams, was bathed in a gorgeous broth of pumpkin and ginger. 5. Barbecued fillet of bull was accompanied by a selection of roasted vegetables and a bearnaise sauce made at the table from 3 pots of ingredients. 6 &7. Two desserts that skillfully blended traditional ingredients such as strawberries, chocolate and almonds with inventive sauces made from ginger, tomato and pumpkin.

All of these dishes, except for the bull, were very small, but cumulatively they were sufficient to quench a hearty appetite. They varied from the interesting to the exquisite, and demonstrated Rabanel's acknowledged creative flair. But here is where we went wrong: not knowing what we would be eating, we accepted the option of wines by the glass to complement the meal chosen by the sommelier that added another 45 euros EACH to the meal. What we got in return were 4 small glasses ( 40-50ml) of ordinary regional wines ----- 90 euros for around half-a-bottle between us. This is not just ungenerous; it is daylight robbery, made worse by the fact that water was charged at 5 euros for two, and coffees another 8 each. The quality of the kitchen forces me to rate this establishment as VERY GOOD, but I cannot with any conscience recommend it.