“Everybody raves about this place but we don't get it”
Review of Le Criquet

Le Criquet
Ranked #4 of 278 Restaurants in Arles
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Traditional and Provencale cooking Open wednesday to sunday, lunch and diner .
Reviewed October 5, 2012

From Rick Steves to Tripadvisor, everybody says eat here. So we did and we were disappointed. Maybe our expectations were too high. I liked my appetizer of goat cheese on artichoke. However, my sea bream was totally tasteless under a nice cream sauce. If you shut your eyes, you could not tell you were eating fish except for the texture. We had a better meal at Le Galoubet.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

One of the most memorable meals in our six-week European trip was at this restaurant. The food was fantastic, the surroundings cosy and the service was unaffected, efficient, and very friendly.
Highly recommended.

Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

While visiting Arles in my interrail honeymoon trip, we visited this restaurant following TA rating.
The place is quite close to the roman amphitheater in a small street where other similar restaurants are located. When you get in the feeling is that the restaurant is fully booked, but in south European restaurants is normal to get a tiny table very close to your neighbors. This was what we got and somehow it helps to keep the noise low, so that all your neighbors don't follow your conversation. Very atmospheric.
We were pretty hungry after a whole day walking around, so we went for the set menu of 27 €. As starter I went for the octopus salad and my wife for the fish soup with toasted bread, garlic, cheese and alioli. Both were very nice and generous portions. For the main course, my wife chose lamb while I picked duck breast. In order to reproduce the feeling I will just write her words 'the best place I've ever been'. The meat was very very soft and tasty. Maybe the smallest minus were the deserts which didn't look too special compared with the starter and the main dish. We shared a liter of the house rose wine and with coffees the bill went up to 64€. Absolutely value for the price. The service was alright even they tried to speak French most of the time, but maybe it belongs to the thing. Without any doubts a recommendation!

1  Thank Victor R
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Le Criquet was recommended to us by our host at Le Regence Hotel. We didn't have a reservation but we were lucky enough to get the last unreserved table outside and it was perfect! We thoroughly enjoyed our choices on the set menu. I had the best beef carpaccio I have had anywhere in the world (PERFECT!!!!) and then the lamb shank. My husband enjoyed the fish soup and the procedure the server explains to correctly eat it and the tagliatelli bolognese. This meal was out of this world!!!! The service by two young ladies that apparently are here every night was also wonderful. I thoroughly recommend enjoying dinner here but make a reservation so you don't miss out!

Reviewed September 12, 2012

I was visiting Arles for the evening and hadn't looked up any places to eat prior to arriving so wandered around looking. We found a great looking place, off one of the more central streets but it was fully booked. I asked the owner to recommend somewhere and he mentioned le Criquet immediately and even phoned through for a reservation for us (I wish I could remember the other venue's name, to credit the very helpful owner)

We all opted for one of the set menus (19 or 27 euro) and had drinks and coffee afterwards. The food was great and traditional, using local Provencal ingredients (rice, beef, fish etc) and there were no complaints from anyone I had an excellent octopus salad, followed by local beef casserole. The fish soup was delicious and the lamb shank main, very well cooked. The staff were fairly friendly and although they spoke English to other diners, they only spoke French to us, unless confirming something confusing and we appreciated that. Finding decent, varied vegetarian food is a challenge in my personal experience, but one of my companions thoroughly enjoyed his meal (pureed Aubergine then pasta main).

The only criticism was that it was a little expensive and drinks weren't cheap, but it seemed that nothing in Arles was!

2  Thank skootx