“Very good hotel in nice old building”
Review of Hotel Du Musee

Hotel Du Musee
Ranked #6 of 56 Hotels in Arles
Middelburg, Nederland
“Very good hotel in nice old building”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

This hotel is situated in the centre of Arles. The old roman remains and the numerous shopping streets are all easily reached on foot. The historical building has many nice details. Rooms are well decorated and comfortable. We were well received by the owner who helped us with a restaurant reservation. Our bicycles were allowed to stay indoor. There is a nice lounge and free WiFi. The breakfast was very good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank M V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel du Musee with some friends. The hotel was not difficult to find, and walkable from the train station. The location is great for walking around Arles, and is near most of the sights and decent restaurants.
Both rooms were nice, but there are definitely stairs to schlep your bags up. Some of the rooms have recently been refurbished and there are street or patio views. There are some common public rooms and a patio. Breakfast is additional, but is quite good. (There are other places for breakfast and the weekly market has some choices)
On the whole, a place I would revisit, the staff was quite welcoming and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anna H
Australia
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and found the place to be centrally located and quiet. The rooms are old and dated but overall good value for money. We stayed on the second floor which is quite a hike if you have bad knees. Ok

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chaddy65
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We found this hotel in one of Rick Steves' book and we were not disappointed. We located the hotel without too much difficulty. It is across the street from the Musee Reattu, which we did not visit. The manager kindly parked our car for us as the website said the parking garage was difficult to park in. He also brought the car out of the garage for us each day. One does not need a car in Arles but we made a day trip to the Carmague. Back to the hotel. The two of us had a room for three with a double bed and a single bed. The room was large enough for three so it was spacious for two. Not surprising the bathroom seemed like an add on. It was roomy by European standards. The funny thing was that the floor in the hall leading to the bathroom slanted down into the bathroom. At the shortest point my husband's head touched the ceiling. (He is 6ft 3) He hung sheets of paper from the ceiling to warn him to duck. The ceiling in the bathroom was a "normal" height. We got a good laugh from this situation. The courtyard was a lovely place for breakfast with many flowers. The food was above average. There was an extra charge for the breakfast. There were many choices and all very fresh. We enjoyed visiting with the other hotel guests. We found the hotel management pleasant and willing to answer questions. The hotel was in a good location for walking to the many interesting sites in Arles. I would definitely stay there again when I return. .

Room Tip: The room for three was spacious...good choice for two people.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NorthbrookTraveler
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I suppose that when you pay 65 euro a night for a room, your expectations should not be very high, and in this case I was not disappointed. This property was recommended by Rick Steves in his book on Provence, and it was fairly accurately described

The property is a little difficult to find, but not too bad. Arles has signs pointing the way to most hotels, so if you know the general area of the hotel, just look for the signs. It is about a 12 minute walk from the train station

Under the best of circumstances, hotel rooms in Europe are small. My room was billed as an accommodation for one. They were right, two people would have been too many. Actually, the room was functional enough for one. The bathroom, however was tiny. The sink was so close to the toilet that I had to unnaturally contort my body to sit down. Getting up was worse yet. I am no slim jim, but I am not that big a guy either. I have to wonder how a bigger man would be able to use the toilet, not to mention question just how sanitary it is to have the toilet so close to the sink.

This hotel s a bargain compared to some of the similar sized rooms I have had in Paris and Florence however. Breakfast was good. Many choices. All seemed fresh, except the fruit, which came out of a can.

My bed was comfortable, and the room was free from street noise

Generally speaking I find the French easy to engage. The trick is that I have to approach them. As a rule they do not seem to be the types to go out of their way to reach out to a stranger. In this case, try as I might, the owners and operators of the inn were just not the engaging types. There was little to no interaction with any guests, at least not that I observed. Maybe it was because my French is limited to a few words and or phrases.
Just one general thought on the region of Provence. I am used to going to Paris and having almost everyone speak some level of English. The opposite is true in Provence. All I can say is; brush up on your French. English is hardly spoken here. I was in many stores and restaurants where no one knew how to speak English. Personally, I enjoy this challenge as it helps me learn more of the language and culture of the area I am visiting. Not everyone will enjoy that element of Provence

Overall, this is a decent place. You do get what you pay for….

Room Tip: The wireless barely reached to my room, number 19. With the windows open, and sitting next to them...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank KLPhillips
Sebastopol, California
Reviewed January 6, 2013

A very cool and quaint hotel with winding halls and stairways, a great room with fireplace, couches and internet station and a lovely courtyard. Some walls looked to have been made of stone liberated from a Roman ruin. Room was a bit sparse but spacious by European standards and the bed and heating were good. Bath was the “open” style with a wand and no curtain and the Wi-Fi seemed to go off and on but was good when on. Continental breakfast was more than enough with fresh bread and croissants. Everything was as clean as a whistle. We enjoyed our stay and would do so again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jmwooley
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I visited Hotel du Musee, a 2 Star hotel in Arles, south east France, in mid September 2012. The hotel is located in the older, historic part of town within easy walking access to the local tourist spots and restaurant’s. The Rhone river which runs through Arles is a few minutes away and the Roman Amphitheatre is about a ten minute walk.
Hotel du Musee is about 300 years old 'so you guessed it' there is no elevator, so its a steep climb to the third floor. The Lobby area is small and clean and supported by helpful staff. I paid for a double bed room which for me alone was ok but for two people would be dreadfully small. On the plus side the room was clean and peacefully quiet at night. Breakfast which was included in my room rate was above average and served in either the cute courtyard or for me in the warmer dining room.
Overall I thought Hotel du Musee was a pleasant two day stay which I can recommend to other travellers

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo