“you get what you pay for”
Review of Hotel Du Musee

Hotel Du Musee
Ranked #5 of 56 Hotels in Arles
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I suppose that when you pay 65 euro a night for a room, your expectations should not be very high, and in this case I was not disappointed. This property was recommended by Rick Steves in his book on Provence, and it was fairly accurately described

The property is a little difficult to find, but not too bad. Arles has signs pointing the way to most hotels, so if you know the general area of the hotel, just look for the signs. It is about a 12 minute walk from the train station

Under the best of circumstances, hotel rooms in Europe are small. My room was billed as an accommodation for one. They were right, two people would have been too many. Actually, the room was functional enough for one. The bathroom, however was tiny. The sink was so close to the toilet that I had to unnaturally contort my body to sit down. Getting up was worse yet. I am no slim jim, but I am not that big a guy either. I have to wonder how a bigger man would be able to use the toilet, not to mention question just how sanitary it is to have the toilet so close to the sink.

This hotel s a bargain compared to some of the similar sized rooms I have had in Paris and Florence however. Breakfast was good. Many choices. All seemed fresh, except the fruit, which came out of a can.

My bed was comfortable, and the room was free from street noise

Generally speaking I find the French easy to engage. The trick is that I have to approach them. As a rule they do not seem to be the types to go out of their way to reach out to a stranger. In this case, try as I might, the owners and operators of the inn were just not the engaging types. There was little to no interaction with any guests, at least not that I observed. Maybe it was because my French is limited to a few words and or phrases.
Just one general thought on the region of Provence. I am used to going to Paris and having almost everyone speak some level of English. The opposite is true in Provence. All I can say is; brush up on your French. English is hardly spoken here. I was in many stores and restaurants where no one knew how to speak English. Personally, I enjoy this challenge as it helps me learn more of the language and culture of the area I am visiting. Not everyone will enjoy that element of Provence

Overall, this is a decent place. You do get what you pay for….

Room Tip: The wireless barely reached to my room, number 19. With the windows open, and sitting next to them...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank KLPhillips

Reviewed January 6, 2013

A very cool and quaint hotel with winding halls and stairways, a great room with fireplace, couches and internet station and a lovely courtyard. Some walls looked to have been made of stone liberated from a Roman ruin. Room was a bit sparse but spacious by European standards and the bed and heating were good. Bath was the “open” style with a wand and no curtain and the Wi-Fi seemed to go off and on but was good when on. Continental breakfast was more than enough with fresh bread and croissants. Everything was as clean as a whistle. We enjoyed our stay and would do so again.

3  Thank jmwooley
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I visited Hotel du Musee, a 2 Star hotel in Arles, south east France, in mid September 2012. The hotel is located in the older, historic part of town within easy walking access to the local tourist spots and restaurant’s. The Rhone river which runs through Arles is a few minutes away and the Roman Amphitheatre is about a ten minute walk.
Hotel du Musee is about 300 years old 'so you guessed it' there is no elevator, so its a steep climb to the third floor. The Lobby area is small and clean and supported by helpful staff. I paid for a double bed room which for me alone was ok but for two people would be dreadfully small. On the plus side the room was clean and peacefully quiet at night. Breakfast which was included in my room rate was above average and served in either the cute courtyard or for me in the warmer dining room.
Overall I thought Hotel du Musee was a pleasant two day stay which I can recommend to other travellers

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank rekrabn
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband, my two teenage children and I stayed in a quad room at Hotel du Musee in August 2012. We were very pleased with the hotel. The courtyards and public rooms are charming and very clean. Our room was large with a huge closet and bathroom. The breakfast was a reasonable value and every afternoon we purchased table wine from the hotel for an absurdly low price and sat in the lovely courtyard relaxing. The location is quiet, the WiFi and AC worked well. The owners printed out tickets for us (for free) that we had purchased online. For 4 persons in a quad room, the price was a great value.

The location of this hotel is ideal, within easy walking distance of all major site and the train station. However, as mentioned by other reviewers, it is approximately 1 km from the train station so if you have a lot of luggage you might want to get a cab. In addition, there are many stairs in the hotel. This was not a problem for us but if you have trouble with stairs ... be forewarned.

Arles was one of our favorite stops on our trip and Hotel du Musee was part of our great experience there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We enjoyed this hotel very much. It is in a great location for walking all over the old part of Arles, which we used to great advantage in the short time we had there. It is a little too far from the train station to walk with bags, so we took a cab for the short trip. The hotel itself is clean and nice, with well-appointed rooms, a good breakfast room and a lovely common room. Perhaps the most appealing part is the lovely courtyard. Our room was up some steep stairs, which could be a problem for those with any mobility issues. All in all, a lovely hotel at a reasonable price. We would certainly stay there again.

3  Thank DonD223
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We recently stayed 4 nights at Hotel Du Musee, and found the accommodations to be very nice. Our room looked out on the courtyard, which was a pleasant view. The location of the hotel made it easy to get to. We were travelling by train, so we walked everywhere, and were pleased with the location - plus it is close to several good restaurants. The room was quiet and clean. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

1  Thank Janet and Richa... K
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We had high hopes for the Hotel Du Musee but were disappointed overall. The hotels courtyard is as beautiful as it looks on the website but the rooms are very standard accommodation. Rooms on the upper floors are reached by steep, narrow staircases so those with limited mobility may have difficulty with access. As advised in other reviews, there is an unpleasant smell at times.

The hotel is quite hard to find and situated in a narrow locked street (entry by residents code). Also the hotel advertises that it has secure parking, so if you are driving make sure your carpark is confirmed as there are only 4 parks available for the whole hotel. We also noted that there was only very limited public carparking in proximity to the hotel and most of this was metered.

On the upside, the town of Arles has an interesting history and the hotel is in walking distance to many of the sites.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family