“Chic Boutique hotel with incredible service”
Review of Hotel Particulier

Hotel Particulier
Ranked #19 of 56 Hotels in Arles
Reviewed January 8, 2009

This beautiful hotel is tucked away like a rare gem ready to be discovered. The hotel has a new look that hasn't yet been added to the web site -- fresh white with the strength of black accents punctuates the entire hotel. Madame, who owns and runs the hotel, has incredible taste for luxury, tranquility and service. The restaurant opened at the beginning of November with a chef who served second in command at a Michelin star restaurant in Cannes. Service at the hotel and restaurant are both personal and outstanding. The grounds and rooms are exceptionally clean and lovingly tended. Indulge in a massage while at the hotel - the masseuse is wonderful.
This is a tranquil and romantic hotel - not to be missed.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank OurTimeNow

Reviewed September 26, 2008

L'Hotel Particulier is French perfection. I absolutely loved this place! It is a little hard to find, but what a hidden gem once you do. From the moment the doors open, you feel like you are in your own private gorgeous French villa. The rooms are beautiful, the grounds are stunning, the staff is friendly and the food is divine. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2008

As we walked into our room I looked at my wife, she was crying. tears of joy!!

I alway think background of the writer is important, so: We are frequent travelers who have stayed in some very nice places, including San Ysidro Ranch- Santa barbera, Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni- Bellagio, Miraval -Tucson , well, you get the picture. we are not demanding but do notice detail.

anyway, I must say, without a doubt this is our all time favorite hotel. it is small a cozy, with a very romantic, European courtyard. It felt like we were staying in our own chateau in the south of france.
there are two wings of rooms, the traditional wing (for lack of a better term) and the modern wing. we were in room 1 on the traditional side. it was an enormous room, with high celling, a four poster bed, sofa, two chairs and two small desks. the bathrooms bad both a shower and a separate claw-foot tubs. we had a small garden terrace outside of our bathroom, and two enormous French doors that opened to the center courtyard. Outside of this we had a private (meaning for just us, but continuous so visible to the pool/dining area) patio with a table and chairs and bench by the small rectangular pool. (we were unsure if it was a pool or just an elaborate fountain, but two groups of people went in to it).

the staff was very nice, and tried very hard with the language barrier. (my wife speaks some french)

we loved our stay and will definitely be back. if you are in the area, I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank goofy_md
Reviewed May 28, 2008

this grand home is now a lovely hotel that is impecably furnished. The service was lovely and the room beautiful. Arles is amazing and this is a must stay if you are coming to Provence.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2008

We based a week-long visit to Provence in Arles in April and stayed at the Hotel Particulier. My husband's aunt and uncle had spent a week there last May and highly recommended it. We were a party of 3- my mother-in-law, my husband and me, and we had their "2 Bedroom Suite", Room 14. It was located in a building at the rear of the property on the top floor, which, from reading other reviews, sounds VERY different in decor. The rooms were very modern, basically solid white in decor. We had a very large bathroom with both tub and separate shower that included massage spray and rainfall showerhead. The room at the top of the stairs where my mother-in-law stayed also had a bathroom and great rooftop views of Old Town Arles. The bed was very firm, which did not bother me, but might bother some people. There was a mini-bar, hairdryer, and robes.

The L-shaped courtyard is very peaceful, and the lap pool looked inviting in spite of it being a bit cool for swimming outdoors. I would recommend the little indoor/outdoor room in the rear of the property in the evenings (L'Orangerie?). They light fires in 2 fire pits and there is music playing in the background. The chairs are large enough to seat 2 who want to cozy up to each other. Apparently the hotel offers a coffee service as there were menus all over this room as well as the gathering room on the first floor of this back building, but no one approached us to see if we wanted coffee. The gathering room in this building was also very modern in decor with old Laurel and Hardy movies playing on a wall over a fireplace., set to strange music. Again, I think this building is very different than the front of the property.

We did have dinner one night at the hotel. Honestly, I was disappointed. It was very expensive (a 50 euro menu, an 80 euro menu, and carte items as well), but they had numerous substitutions and the food was mediocre.

We did not have breakfast due to the expense, and also there were so many little cafes within walking distance and we wanted to experience the true neighborhood cafe feel.

The hotel is in a great location, but almost impossible to find. If you miss your turn at any point, you may find yourself wandering the TINY streets of the old village where even small French cars can barely make the turns. Also, the staff will require you to leave your room key with them whenever you leave the premises, which I did not really like doing.

Finally, the hotel assessed a charge of 180 euros for the second bed in the suite. After pointing out the fact that we were in their advertised "two bedroom" suite, they removed the charge.

I am not sure that I would stay here again, but I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a quiet, intimate destination. It'd be great for an anniversary trip. I'd try to stay up in the main building, though.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 12, 2008

We stayed at the Hotel Particulier for 3 nights, planning a trip in Provence, visited Harles, Avignon, Camargue......
We were more than pleased, quiet and beautifull place, kind of a boutique Hotel. Better get there with GPS because it's a bit complicated to find. We travelled with our 2 girls and had a 2 room unit with stairs. Highly recommended.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed September 28, 2007

the Hotel was beautiful--calm, serene with a great courtyard. The room was huge and very clean--nice bed linens, nice towels, great bathrobes. Plenty of room. It was very clean. It was the best hotel on our trip.

It was also very convenient to walk into centre ville. All the restaurants and cafes were within walking distance.

They had free internet which was nice.

The resturant recommendations they made were very good.

The hotel was a little hard to find.

The room rate was reasonable for a hotel of this quality. However, everything else was extremely expensive.

They charged around 20 Euros a day for parking (don't remember if it was 18 or 21 exactly). That was not mentioned anywhere when we were making our reservation. We were there for 4 nights--so an extra 80 Euros adds up. There was a parking garage in the center of town that was 5 Euros from about 5PM until 10AM the next morning. Considering we were using our car during the day to drive and explore the area--there was no need to pay 20 Euros a day to park our car there when this garage was so close.

The courtyard at the hotel was gorgeous and calm. They have a nice lap pool. However, food and drinks were super expensive. I know you expect to pay more at a hotel. We very much would have sat in the courtyard for breakfast or drinks--but to pay three to four times what I would pay when I could walk two minutes to a cafe for the same glass of wine?

Overall a great hotel and I would return. Just be prepared for things at the hotel to be expensive and/or be prepared to leave the hotel for breakfast and drinks.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple