“Perhaps for some”

Ranked #14 of 56 Hotels in Arles
New York City, New York
“Perhaps for some”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

Our "deluxe" room in the annex building had concrete floors that were so uneven they gave me vertigo. The minimal furnishings are uncomfortable and impractical, with no place to put anything down, or even a rack to set your suitcase off the floor. The bathroom is also ridiculously cramped and poorly designed. While the outdoor courtyard was lovely, the area around the hotel seemed a bit seedy and remote. The service was pleasant, the room was clean, and the hotel looks pretty, but I didn't find it to be a particularly enjoyable place to stay.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sue S
Catherine P, Responsable réception at Hotel Particulier, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear Madam, Sir,

We thank you for your remarks that are important for us.
Firstly we would like to point out that our house is dated from the 17th century and represents a mix between contemporary and antique furnitures.
You were up graded a prestige room instead of a classic room, the floor, due to stric norm, has been refurnished in special way, because Hotel Particulier is ranked historic house.
We can imagine that some guests enjoy that and others not.
In any case we still remain at the disposal of our guest to find together a solution to solve their matter.
Why don't you come at the reception desk asking for a new room?
And why did you left our house just saying that you've got a personal problem?

We are sorry that you left with these feelings and do hope to welcoming you another time in our house.

Kind Regards
Catherine Reception desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Del Mar, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

As can be seen by my profile, I am a trusted senior contributor who enjoys luxury travel. In my 30 years of travel I have never before encountered a property like Hotel Particulier. The property looks nice on their website but I unfortunately ignored the other reviews that they are unethical. I booked two nights on their website (on March 5th) for a June 14/15 stay. They charged my credit card 50% (over $600 US). On March 23rd I needed to cancel the reservation due to a change of plans. I did so on their automated reservation system. After noticing that the $600 was not credited on my credit card, I contacted them. They emailed that regardless of the fact that I canceled TWO AND A HALF MONTHS PRIOR TO THE BOOKING DATES that it was their policy to KEEP THE 50% ($600 US). This policy was stated nowhere on the website, nor in my confirmation of booking. When I presented this fact I received extremely rude responses from hotel staff Catherine and Mikael. After several failed attempts, I have had to get American Express involved. This was one of 15 properties that I booked for a 9 week vacation in Europe. This is the ONLY property I encountered this vacation (or ever in my 30 years of travel) with such rudeness, disregard for hospitality and unreasonable policies. I don't know who owns this property but I would seriously recommend that they review the basics of the hospitality industry and fire their rude staff. I hope they realize that their inexcusable actions have alienated a potential, future guest (and hopefully prevented anyone who reads this from booking!!). I can only hope that this review saves another guest from a similar, extremely unpleasant and expensive encounter. Please contact me through TripAdvisor if you have any questions about my experience with this property.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
14 Thank LoveTheLuxeLife
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

This is a very good hotel if you are looking to base yourself somewhere centrally in Arles. It is close to the Place du Forum and many of the other sites of this lovely town. It has the strong advantage of being in a quieter area and yet everything else is on your doorstep.

It could be a little tricky to find, but our GPS worked well and the final few streets are a little narrow, but not too bad if you have driven in France.

From there on it was delightful. The entrance, with the smell of a large jasmine bush is very welcoming and the staff are always on hand.

We were upgraded to a junior suite with a view of the gardens and pool and the room itself was a set of rooms, very large in size, all with well appointed furniture and good Hermes bathroom products.

We didn't have breakfast as we felt that at €23 per head it was a little high, but the menu itself looked good.

Private car-parking can be arranged and is useful for the area, but has increased from €18-28 in 1 year, so you may want to consider your options.

In the summer I imagine the gardens and pool would feel a little crowded but in May it was perfect.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChrisAlner
Mauritius
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 1 night in this hotel while visiting the south/provence region of France. We loved it, from the welcome in the extremely narrow street in front of the gate to our departure, with much regret, the next day. The owner was there at our arrival, very courteous and professional establishment. The rooms are just perfect, ours had a lounge area opening on the yard with the swimming pool. The comfort is very stylish and the service top class. We were recommended a nice restaurant in the city by the lady at the reception, and it was really delicious. In fact we were there on the day of our 10th wedding annversary and this hotel made our stay a real special pleasure. The next day as we were heading towards St Remy and St Tropez subsequently, the lady at the reception gave us many wise advises, thanks to her we appreciated so muchnthe tarte Tropezienne and visited Lourmarin on our way! I wish we could come back to this so well hidden hotel and make it known to the ones we cherish.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FranceMauritius
McLean, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

We had hoped to stay at the renovated Jules Cesar, but when the reopening was delayed (surprise!) we ended up here. Anyone considering going here needs to seriously consider the pros and cons. On the plus side, you will love the feel of staying in a mansion. The gardens are relaxing. The staff people are all very helpful. The rooms are a photogenic delight and are very clean. And we enjoyed taking the expensive breakfast each morning in the garden. On the minus side, the place is nearly impossible to find. We had 2 different GPS systems that failed to guide us to the location. And unlike other difficult hotels to find, and I have experienced many, it remains nearly impossible every time you try. I cannot overstate this negative. A second negative is the functionality of the rooms. The rooms were apparently designed by a photographer and a designer as opposed to anyone who has ever actually stayed in a hotel! There is no place to put down one's toiletries since the oversized sink occupies 100% of the space in the bathroom. How striking! How impractical! The modern shower has no tray for soap or shampoo; I guess that would detract from the sleek style. There are no bedside tables because there are ceiling to floor chandeliers at bedside. How lovely! How impractical! In sum, this is an upscale hotel with unfortunately significant flaws. The owners should stay here sometime, if they can find the place. This is the opposite of an "average" hotel. Hardly average. But I cannot give it a 5 or even a 4.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Beaune
Nantucket, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

one guidebook describes the hotel as having the feel of a private aristocratic residence and I agree. Our room was in the converted stable, with vaulted ceilings, huge beams. The décor was more modern, all white, minimalistic with a huge wooden armoire. There was a separate sitting area with wrap around couch and table. In addition there was a private patio with two chairs, chaise and table overlooking the pool and garden. To enter, one rang the doorbell and you were warmly greeting by one of the staff. Your room key was left at the desk when going out so there was no need for do not disturb signs, etc. The staff knew when the room was unoccupied for twice daily housekeeping. The breakfast was expensive but the service was impeccable in a lovely setting, either in the garden or in the candle lit dining room. Table setting included antique silver and linens. The staff were incredible Concierge was very helpful in suggesting and reserving restaurants. We did this in advance of our arrival as local restaurants are quite small. My only disappointment was that the pool water was chilly but our stay was in mid April.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 300beachgirl
oxon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

A special hostellery behind enormous wooden doors down a quiet street in Arles. A lovely and stylish interior awaits you, a friendly welcome and wonderful comfortable rooms. in addition there is a pretty garden and tempting swimming pool.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Catherine P, Responsable réception at Hotel Particulier, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

We thank you so much for your kind reply.
Our guest's opinion is important for us and we still took care of it.

We look forward to welcoming you once again again in our house.

Kind Regards