WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #21 of 59 Hotels in Arles
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Unexpectedly comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Our arrival was less than promising in an area that was rather run down and unloved however the hotel is close to the town , you can park free of charge and there is a very pleasant pool which was much appreciated in the heat of August. there is a really attractive and cool dining area under trees and close to the pool but beware no one sprays for Mosquitos so if you react to bites you are in trouble! The rooms are smallish but clean, newly refurbed and with super clean en suites with shower over bath. air conditioning worked fine in our room which was important. the front desk staff were really helpful and pleasant and spoke good english. You can tell that this hotel used to be something, good management would make the bar and restaurant swing without the need to spend much money. We didn't eat in so cannot comment on dining. for the price and proximity we would definitely return. for parents with children go for the poolside rooms, ground floor.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ali H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2009

We could not have been more comfortable here, but perhaps you should decide for yourself whether this hotel would work for you. We stayed here a week with no complaints.
It is located in a post-war quarter with an admittedly uninspired architectural setting, but nthe rooms are cheerful and clean, and out room overlooked a VERY well cared for pool which no one hesitated to use during the day and which was quiet because it closes at 10 PM.
The walk over the Rhone to the old city is easy and short, simply across a bridge, perhaps 10 minutes to the Mairie. There is an Intermarche at the base of the hotel parking lot for those wishing to conveniently minimize expenses.
The breakfast buffet was fresh and generous: coffee, orange juice, baguettes, croissants, meats, cheeses, scrambled aggs, bacon, PANCAKES, jam, honey, sweetbreads. Sunny yellow umbrellas and tables in a courtyard.
There was absolutely free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, and a free computer in the lobby.
The room featured an HDTV which received, for english speakers, both CNN and the BBC. The room also has a safe.
The bath and WC are separate. The former is new and sparkling, with a combined shower/tub, twin sinks, hairdryer on the wall. Towels were changed each day.
The WC was more 2-star, in a separate closet. We did not spend much time there!
The staff helped us at every turn, from mailing post cards to lending us a scale to cope with RyanAir.
The facility was quiet at night, no trash anywhere, a playful young cat in the courtyard.
We did not eat dinner here, but next time we will!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
      Location
3 Thank phang
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2009

I'm lying in my room in the Mireille typing right now. I'm very surprised at the bad reviews this hotel has received. The room is small but clean and well-appointed (though I still can't understand why hotels don't use duvets rather than nasty counterpanes). The staff is extremely friendly. Yes, the hotel is in a concrete block in a characterless suburb but you do not want to drive into the Roman maze of Arles if you're in a car so it's perfect. Three minutes walk across the bridge gets you to the center and you also get fabulous views on your way. I just had dinner in the restaurant and it was half empty (just two other couples) but the food was superb. And I live in Belgium so I'm pretty picky when it comes to food. It was really good! I'm travelling alone so it suits me to eat here rather than traipsing into the city.The pool is shaded under trees in the garden and there are towels provided out there. I noticed that there are a lot of floating leaves etc in the pool but they seemed to be cleaning it this evening.
All in all I would recommend it. Oh yes, free wifi!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
      Location
2 Thank Eireann75
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2006

Very nice hotel in a lovely little French village. The room was small but very comfortable. Our room looked over a courtyard where breakfast and dinner were served. The swimming pool was a wonderful treat. Great service by both the front desk staff who couldn't have been more helpful and by the servers. The owner was a bit overbearing and sometimes testy, but don't let that deter you as the rest of the staff were really fantastic. Great value for money. Arles is a wonderful village and definately worth several days stay.

We would definately return to this place and recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank Grasslands252
london, england
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2005

Unfortunately I did not believe the previous, seemingly VERY critical reviewer of this hotel (my apologies to you, whoever you are!), as I had to make a last-minute booking and was feeling a bit anxious about finding anywhere to stay on a busy weekend in Arles. The hotel was every bit as bad as described! It is set in a truly horrible concrete post-war development on the other side of the river to the beautiful city of Arles, and there are even no views to be had of the city or even the river Rhone from one's concrete prison! Although the rooms - which the hotel upgraded without reference to me from those booked for 85 Euros to some at 120 Euros - were comfortable with nice bathrooms, the general feeling was of CLAUSTROPHOBIA. Plusses were the very pleasant swimming pool and the charming young staff. The manageress, however, seemed totally out-of-control, and when the computer blew-up with a blinding flash when she was trying to correct my bill, while the taxi (which she had actually ordered about an hour too early to get me to Nimes Aiprport at 8.15 am was waiting outside), I was not surprised. My alarm call, which I'd requested at 6.15 a.m., was also timed 15 minutes too early. I did not eat anything but "Petit dejeuner" here, but the "fresh" fruit juice was fizzy, and some of the breakfast loaves were stale. The Hotel Calendal recommended this hotel ... and I cannot imagine why!

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank ConstanceLondon

Travelers are raving about these Arles hotels

London, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2005

This hotel was an ugly concrete block, in a pretty little town in France. The staff deliberately put us in the most expensive deluxe room, when we booked. The dinner was awful; the waiters were so rude, that in the end we left. Also we seemed to be the only people who had made the mistake of staying there - the place was deserted. It is vulgar, tacky and they want to rip you off. As an earlier review mentioned, we found the owner rude and unhelpful too. DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL!!

• Stayed May 2003
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank PradaP
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2004

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in September 2004. Not a good experience compared to all other places we stayed in Provence and Paris during our trip. First, the room was very small, but it was clean. Second, the first night the maid entered (tried) our room at 6am even though we had the do not disturb sign on the door. I could forgive that, but the next day the owner bit our heads off (in french --we speak poor french and were a bit confused). We finally figured out she was upset that we were bringing a baguette in to our room --we planned to have a snack in our room later--No food in room! Finally, at check out we were charged for breakfast for two, for two days even though we didn't know about it, didn't eat it and didn't know it was NOT optional (11 euros per day per person). The owner wouldn't take it off our bill. Overall, I found the place cold and uninviting --there are much better deals for the money (we paid 80 euros per night), in better locations in Arles. I tried the Calendal when booking, but it was full far in advance. Stay elsewhere if you can.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member