“The Emperor's New Clothes”
Review of Musee Reattu

Musee Reattu
Ranked #14 of 74 things to do in Arles
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This review pertains to the current "Nuages" exhibit at this museum. Almost the entire permanent collection was removed to make room for this special exhibit. I must admit that contemporary art is not my bag. However, this exhibit brings the genre to a record low. I wish I could have heard the curator's talk. How in the world could anyone defend this nonsense? If the mark of artistic sophistication is to "oooo" and "ahhhh" over installations that are reminiscent of a shoddy freshmen foundations art class then this exhibit is a prime example. At some point the viewer must see the work for what it truly is: an embarrassing joke. Shame on the curator. Shame on the museum. To think we had to pay an extra 3 euros on top of the cost of the museum pass to enter! I gave this museum a "2" because it is located in a beautiful old building and has the potential to be a wonderful little museum. It is a wonder that anyone could bring together 56 different artists with such abysmally poor works. Skip this one unless you are into self flagellation.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I visited the museum when the permanent collection was not on view - a great disappointment. At that time modern art was dispersed throughout the museum. The exhibition was well put together which made it easy to navigate the building.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Perhaps I am old fashioned but this was expensive for art that could be done by my children. Gave us a laugh.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

The cloud exhibit was interesting and so is the architecture of the museum. Purchase a pass at the tourist office that includes this museum and other sights in Arles.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We paid 7 Euros each and it was worth it, especially if you like Picasso. Alot of Picasso's work and photos and a fabulous collection of dresses and costumes by Christian LaCroix.