“LE CALENDAL - EXCELLENT HOTEL”

Hotel Spa Le Calendal
Ranked #2 of 56 Hotels in Arles
London, United Kingdom
“LE CALENDAL - EXCELLENT HOTEL”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We had a brilliant stay at Le Calendal in August 2012. It looks like a traditonal French hotel, and has all the charm you would want in that respect, combined with a really high level of service that you normally only get in a top American place. It was just a pleasure to stay here: it's right in the centre but quiet (except for one night when there was a Pink Floyd tribute band in the nearby Roman theatre), the rooms are good, the food in the garden is great and all the staff without exception are friendly and helpful - they even sorted out our satnav which was way beyond the call of duty. Totally relaxing and enjoyable, this is a really good boutique hotel and a great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Martin S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
nyc
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We "rolled" into Arles on a completely empty tank of gas, truly fumes. The reason why and the mistake is acknowledged, and of no importance. What is important is that it was Sunday evening and gas stations are few and far, and none were open. When we rolled in, Audrey, at the front desk and her colleagues helped us immediately. They offered several choices to deal with our challenge, including following me to a very local gas station, and offering their prime parking place for the car to sit. On further notes, our room was clean and neat. The hotel had everything, free internet, laundry service, dining all day, spa and friendliness above and beyond the customary experience in France. We highly recommend Hotel Calendal to anyone. Thank you so much for your help and "destressing" this adventurer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank advddc
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed her a couple of night in July. The hotel room was average -no real complaints there. But there was a festival going on at the forum and we had a concert going on to late at night. Hard to sleep. Before I book I would enquire into this. I thought the breakfast was way overpriced for what was served (12 Euro). we didn't buy it.. Had a nice garden area in the back to sit which was nice. The free internet was also a plus..

1 Thank SteveS60
Roseville, California
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in July 2012 as part of a Rick Steves tour. The property is beautiful, built around an interior garden. Our room didn't have a sizable exterior window, but was otherwise huge by European standards. The hotel is right across the street from Arles' Roman colosseum and ampitheaters. It was a bit of a bag drag from our bus to the hotel, but nothing unmanageable. There are many restaurants close by with a variety of foods and a range of prices. Breakfast in the garden was especially pleasurable.

3 Thank gcjones
Boston, Ma
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My family stayed here mid-July and loved the location and conveniences of the hotel such as the breakfast options and the snack bar. The staff, especially Cecelia, was very friendly, helpful and professional. The price was very reasonable for the room and the food. You can pay an additional 8 euro per night to park your can in a garage nearby. Wifi and computers are available for free. Well worth it. Overall great deal!

Room Tip: Room #37 had a rooftop terrace that was awesome. You did have to go up a flight of stairs within the...
2 Thank TravelOverDee
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed July 25, 2012

The Hotel Le Calendal was a wonderful place to stay and explore Provence and the lovely town of Arles. The location alone was impressive, right between the Roman Arena and Roman theater, but the amenities inside were wonderful as well. There was free wifi which is very important to me, the bathroom was large and had a full sized shower (also important to me.) There was a spa attached to the hotel, but I didn't use it. The room I was in with my companions was a quadruple room and we all had a lot of room, which is exceptional for Europe. I felt the customer service was very good, and the grounds, especially the garden patio created a very relaxing and resort like feel. I loved this hotel and if I ever return to Arles, it is the only place I will stay. Also, if you are there on a Saturday, don't forget the amazing market!

Room Tip: We had a group of four and we stayed in room 18. It had a view down on the garden and it was quiet...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank art_girl_28
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Maybe after so many positive reviews my expactations were a bit high however there are some objective reasons of my ranking. So, one by one:
- hotel claims that they haму internet in the rooms, there is but it does not work almost (very poor connection)
- parking quite far away from the hotel, I asked several times to help me park my car but the answer was: "do it yourself, staff is busy". Another incindent happened when I park my car after arrival and ask where is the parking, I was told by man on the reception that I can leave my car in front of the hotel for night, in the morning however another lady from reception told that it is a mirracle that the car was not evacuated
- terrible flavour in the morning, once I woke up from because of that since we sleep usualy with open window and I don't even want to guess what was the reason of that flavour:)

However, there are some positive things that I were really impressed:
- perfect location, right in front of arena and antique theatre
- friendly staff excluding the situation with parking
- amazing atmosphere in the room, right from the painting of Van Gogh, in yellow-blue colors with the same furniture, unforgetable experience

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple