“Perfect in Every Way!”

Hotel Spa Le Calendal
Ranked #2 of 56 Hotels in Arles
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Here's what I wrote in my journal: "The friendly receptionist greets me, checks me in, and shows me the pastry-coffee-wine bar/cafe, the breakfast room, and the free computers, then takes my luggage through the garden and upstairs to a perfect little room overlooking the garden: double bed with blue headboard and white linens; blue & yellow walls, curtains, and cupboards. The bathroom (with both tub and shower) is tiled blue and white; everything is crisp and clean. Bright prints decorate the walls, and--with a small desk and comfortable chair--I'm at home! AND the room is quiet. I unpack, then go back to the lobby to send a message to [my husband] and order a chevre tart and a glass of wine."

The hotel is ideally located (next to the amphitheatre)--a 5- to 10-minute walk to most other places of interest and a 1- to 2-minute walk to shopping and nice little restaurants (Le Criquet, which serves traditional food, is excellent!). As a solo traveler, I felt entirely comfortable. Guests came from various parts of Europe and the U.S., and the little cafe was frequented by locals. At my request, the staff arranged for a 2 1/2 hour walking tour with a private guide, and the evening before I left, I enjoyed an amazing hot stone massage, given by a talented masage therapist in the hotel's spa. I'd booked online and was surprised at the reasonable room rates. I can't imagine staying anywhere else when I return to Arles; next time, I hope to stay for more than 4 days.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank DKL983
Write a ReviewReviews (1,423)

Reviewed May 31, 2012

Our stay at Hotel Le Calendal was absolutely delightful! It is truly a quiet oasis yet close to everything. And the staff could not be more helpful. Our room was fantastic and the breakfast wonderful. The restaurant recommendations were spot on and the staff gladly made reservations for us. This was our second trip to Arles and on our next visit - for we will be back - we will certainly stay at Le Calendal!

Reviewed May 30, 2012

What a charming little hotel in an amazing location! Our room had a private terrace overlooking the amphitheater and the coliseum. The staff were friendly, rooms were clean and the only thing we encountered was spotty wifi signals in our room. Not a huge issue as it worked most of the time and otherwise we went down to the lovely little seating area outside the hotel and enjoyed a glass of wine while accessing email etc. Very nice garden restaurant for buffet breakfast at 12e or you can have a coffee at the front along with pastries. Well recommended.

Room Tip: Citronelle room 4 has the private deck. Louder side, especially every once in a while when the schoo...
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Very happy with this location and stay. The only small situation was the bed was a bit uncomfortable but worth the small discomfort for everything else. The spa was great and worth the package.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for three nights. I had room number 47, which was located in a quite side of the property. The room is as shown in the pictures. The facilities are good. I could leae my bedroom door open to let some fresh air in.
I truly enjoyed my stay here. It's walking distance to everything, the staff are friendly and attentive. The spa facilities are hardly used, so I enjoyed the spa, the steam room and showers all to myself for two of the three days, which was simply awesome.
I would stay here again. It made my stay in Arles a memorable one.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Portia1972
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I really enjoyed the patio with the fountains and the shade, quiet breakfast...and the SPA, with the view on the Antic Arena !!! incredible...great service too, everyone was nice and helpful. The room was quiet and confortable... this hotel was a piece of peace ! super...

1  Thank pascLH
Reviewed May 13, 2012

I have stayed at four hotels in Arles over the years and this is by far the best, and the one I keep returning to. To say the location is ideal is an understatement -- from in front of the hotel you can see both the 2,000-year-old amphitheater and the Roman theater. Everything of interest in Arles is within easy walking distance. Inside, the hotel just keeps getting better. The rooms are comfortable and nicely maintained; the breakfast is plentiful and delicious (eggs boiled to order); the lunchtime restaurant is ideal for an easy, tasty meal. But I have saved the best for last – Cecile and her team are simply the most thoughtful and accommodating hoteliers imaginable. Their perception, kindness and flexibility would make it worthwhile returning, and I will. (I rearranged our itinerary specifically to stay at the Calendal.)

Room Tip: Rooms vary in size -- make your needs known at time of booking. Ground-floor rooms are available (th...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends