“Avoid new annex to hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel d'Arlatan

Hotel d'Arlatan
Ranked #24 of 56 Hotels in Arles
Avignon, France
“Avoid new annex to hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

I have stayed in the original building previously and enjoyed it very much. However, we were given a room in the newer annex and it was very uncomfortable, unattractive, and disappointing. The toilet seat cover was broken, closet and floor were dirty, towels very thin and non-absorbent, and the staff was indifferent. The older rooms were charming...newer room very cheap and unattractive. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the original rooms
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jonikc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We booked a room at the hotel d'Arlatan very last minute (the day before) without doing much homework and were very pleased with our choice when we arrived. The hotel is difficult to find and to access by car because the streets are so narrow, but once found it is impressive and ideally located for a pedestrian exploration of Arles. Our room was tastefully furnished, the bed was comfortable, ac functional, the bathroom quite large (despite this being one of the smallest rooms in the hotel). We enjoyed a late-night swim in the pool and wandering through the courtyards. The one thing I would caution is that the breakfast buffet, though really quite a spread, is 15 euros per person. We had, perhaps inadvertently, been told it was 4 euros, and so we had a bit of a shock when we checked out.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
scunthorpe england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

This is a lovely quirky place to stay. Our room was almost a copy of the famous Van Gogh painting of his bedroom in Arles, really nice! The whole building is a dream for anyone interested in history and architecture. The tiny tv was around circa 1980 but you don't go on holiday to watch tv after all. Air con worked very well in our room, large bathroom with unfortunately hand held shower but got used to that in the other hotels we stayed in France. Breakfast was the best we had out of all the hotels we stayed in in France and the breakfast rooms were stunning! Very convenient location for all the attractions. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond-upon-Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Arles is over 2000 years old. First Celtic, then greek, and claimed for Rome in Julius Cesar's first Gaul campaign. If you like history, you'll like D'Arlatan as it is a rennaissance duke's house built on ruins of medieval houses, built on top of an old Roman area (visible through the floor of the lounge), 100 meters from the old Roman forum and Van Gogh's Café la Nuit.

Hotel d'Arlatan is wonderful if you like history. It is quirky. Each room is different (ours had a remarkable XVII century wooden ceiling) and special and the general decor is fantastic. However, don't expect miracles of modern technology. The TVs, air conditioning (supplemented by old fashioned fans) electricity and telephones, are pre-historic, but that is not why you come here. Have breakfast in the inside court as the Count of D'Arlatan would have done in the 1600s and you'll understand what this place is about.
We stayed here 10 years ago and after all this time, it is just as magical.

Room Tip: Excellent garage service in the town centre!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

We booked 2 rooms. Then called to MAKE SURE there would be air conditioner. It is July. They LIED on the phone and said there is. Sure, there is...(later we found out it has been out of order for over a month). But the outrageouse part that makes me say DON'T GO THERE! Is that when we complained we got aggression and rudeness from the reception staff. "I will not talk to you about this" and (on request to speak to the manager) "I don't know where he is and don't care and won't give you his number and no, you can not speak to him". Three nights of torturous heat, and toilet smell... Nice building. Ok breakfast. Good location. Horrible people and hotel standard. 1 star... With 4 star prices...

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Euggor
Larressingle, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

chose this hotel for its private garage in town centre. booked a double room months before and paid for it through a booking agent. on arrival was given a tiny room actually more like a singe with a 4ft. bed of great age - I mean the mattress not an antique! air conditioning doesn't work. mini bar with minimal drinks in didn't work so warm drinks - bathroom was two cupboard doors set in wall providing the smallest bath I have ever seen I am tall and would not have been able to sit in the bath let alone lie in it. you had to edge past the old basin to get to it. tiles on floor seriously broken. receptionist indifferent stopped talking to me at check in to chat to another client. leaving me to wait to find out where my room was no help offered with luggage. next morning the owner was present who was charming. she actually gave me a 3 euro refund on my payment as she had given me a smaller room than I had booked - WHY. I suspect as I had only booked one night she gave my better room to a client who stayed longer. not acceptable service when one takes the trouble to book well in advance. we do not all have long holidays - some people are travelling and need a place for the night. looked at the breakfast on offer and was not impressed at what was being offered at an extra 15 euros a head. if you want continental breakfast the information in the room tells you it will be brought to you in your room you cannot have it on the terrace, in my room it would have been impossible to eat breakfast as the room was so small.
What a shame, this is a lovely building which could be great I like slightly old fashioned pieces but don't expect to be downgraded after I have paid. Matters not improved by the opinionated young man who was assigned to open the garage for us to get out. He insisted on driving my large car out and we had an argument - he then took it upon himself to pull out my wing mirrors so he could see - they are electric at this point he consented to let me get my car myself. my advice insist on a detailed description of your room and number when you book and make them stick to it and don't eat breakfast there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank miggy123
Wollongong, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

Due to the old streets of Arles being built by the Romans the streets were defiently not built for cars. We couldn't get our car to the hotel garage so we had to get out near a cafe outside the skinny streets and walk with our luggage to our hotel. Thankfully, the staff from the hotel were extremelly helpful and sent a man to drive our car through the skinny streets of Arles into the hotel garage.
Throughout our stay the staff contuined to be very helpful and we were a couple minutes away from a sunny square in the town with many cafe's and shops.
The pool was also very refreashing and fun.
Great stay and would stay there again if we return the faboulous city of Arles.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family