“Lovely quirky hotel”

Grand Hotel Nord-Pinus
Ranked #30 of 56 Hotels in Arles
Reviewed December 28, 2012

When visiting Arles there is only one place to stay and that's the Nord Pinus. A most unusual and quirky hotel that is probably now past it's finest days but is still very comfortable, clean and certainly different. We stayed here for 3 days and loved the hotel and the city of Arles (the Roman Amphitheatre is incredible). The Nord Pinus is located in the Place du Forum and all the town's attractions are within easy walking distance. If you are driving by car make sure that you have a sat nav as it is quite difficult to negotiate your way through the narrow streets to get to the hotel, however once there and if you have booked the garage they will take the car and park it for you and you won't need it again for the duration of your stay unless you are planning to visit areas outside the town. If you want to stay somewhere that stimulates your imagination and does not look like every other hotel then this is the one to go for.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Again, please note that I didn't stay here, but felt the need to tell all how cool this place is.
I went in due to them having a Moroccan rug sale going on, we walked into their lobby to find a very swank James Dean photo exhibit hung on their walls. The hotel is dressed up with a North African style, nice lamps and such, hip looking furniture.
It's in a good location, but it could be loud due to it being right on a plaza that appeared to be frequented by many.
Just an FYI is all, Enjoy, Salida1048

Room Tip: didn't stay, but apparently you have to check one of these to get finished with the review...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is very well located in the best square in old Arles. The Place du Forum is ideal for exploring Arles on foot as everything is close at hand. The square has a number of bars and restaurants including Van Gogh's subject, the Cafe la Nuit.

Our room was a straight forward double and adequate but not over spacious. The hotel has charming memorabilia of turn of the century bull fighting, and we also found the staff to be charming.

If you need to park at the hotel then youust reserve in advance. But the next advice is not to take your car into the old town, instead park by the tourist information centre.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Monty-casino
Reviewed September 16, 2012

This hotel screams character. The first thing you see on entry is a cool antique conical chandelier hanging above a spiral staircase with wrought iron railings. You can virtually feel Picasso's ghost drinking in the bar downstairs. The hotel is in a great central location, facing the Place du Forum and its many outdoor cafes. The room we had was plenty spacious enough, as was the bathroom. The bed was comfortable and the shower pressure excellent. And we can't say enough positive things about the staff, particularly the wonderful Christina, who instantly makes you feel as if you've been her lifelong friend. This is not a modern hotel, so if you're looking for a Westin experience stay someplace else. But if you want a charming, fun, comfortable hotel with great history and character, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Front rooms can be noisy at night
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chester98115
Reviewed September 12, 2012

This Hotel is right in the middle of the old town, so don't expect the luxe of a newer hotel.
The rooms are small but clean and comfortable.
People were very nice from the desk person to the waiter at the outside restaurant and the food was great.
P.S.
We loved the feeling of being in the heart of an old city with lots of history.
We recommend it strongly

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roger R
Reviewed July 3, 2012

First, one dot rating is far too much. You offer me no possibility of less. Group of 8, all local residents, some well known professionally for decades in the area, tried to take after dinner tea and coffee on the terrace having agreed it with those operating the said hotel restaurant in the square outside. It is very difficult to describe our reception with polite language. The behaviour of the woman 'manager' was so hostile that had we not placed orders for tea and coffee already we would have accepted her invitation to just leave. She objected to staff arranging tables so 8 could sit together and from there it went down hill. All of us agreed that such rude treatment was extremely rare. The very sad truth is that this is a hotel-restaurant that has had an dreadful reputation for years-decades. We went there in the nineties and because of the experience and word of mouth have not been back until this evening!
We returned because we heard a young very good restaurant team had moved in to try a larger project. I wish them well but with that woman in the background I would advise them to move elsewhere as soon as they can contractually do so.
As to the Nord Pinus - avoid!
As to the so called 'GRAND' Hotel Nord Penus our advice is - admire the building, step in and admire the decore and that a coffee of what ever somewhere else!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Olivepicker11
Reviewed June 27, 2012

If you are looking at TripAdvisor wondering where on earth you should stay in Arles... please... don't stay at this hotel. I have stayed all over the world in all kinds of establishments from the Crillon in Paris to more humble [yet] wholesome abodes... but this one takes the cake. I booked for 2 days and once I had arrived... decided to stay for four. The booking was confirmed not once... but twice... by both the Receptionist and the Hotel Manager. Imagine my horror then... when I returned to my room on the fourth evening [after a glorious day touring the lavender fields] to find my room occupied by somebody else! My clothes... my personal possessions... my art gear... laptop and camera gear had all been hastily thrown into my luggage... my personal effects tossed into a shopping bag provided by the hotel... and left at reception for my return. Imagine my shock when I opened the door to my room to find somebody else's things there [another terrible situation - I should never have been allowed access to somebody else's room] By now in a panic I returned to reception where I was informed of the error... and then unceremoniously marched to a nearby hotel with the lame excuse that they had mixed up the booking and I would be offered dinner at their establishment in return for any inconvenience. Inconvenience? It was pure impudence. To add insult to injury a couple of my dresses which had been hanging in the wardrobe were missing from my belongings and had to be brought over to the new hotel upon request. I have not... in all my years of travelling the world... experienced such unprofessional and incompetent behaviour. Please... avoid this hotel at all cost. You can not leave for the day in confidence... knowing you will have somewhere to sleep that night.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel. Please. You will be glad you did.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo