“The wolfs muzzle ?”
Review of La Gueule Du Loup

La Gueule Du Loup
Reserve with
La Gueule Du Loup is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 271 Restaurants in Arles
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Canet-en-Roussillon, France
“The wolfs muzzle ?”
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

I guess from the reviews it all depends on what you are used to or what your expectations are when you eat out or stay in a hotel. As always, each person has their views and these are mine after eating in this restaurant this evening with the wife and another couple we came to Arles with.

Warm welcome when we arrived and friendly staff throughout the meal. Our friends used to own a restaurant in the south of France so I value their opinions as well as just giving mine. I chose the 33€ menu and I loved it. I don't want hundreds of choices and then what turns up to just be okay, I like where the choices are limited so that the kitchen does them well, in tonight's case very well.

All 4 of us enjoyed every single thing that we ordered, which was varied as only 2 main courses out of all the food ordered were the same. Everything was delicious and would not hesitate to go back here again.

For those who like good food, rather than just lots of okay food, it's worth a visit but obviously this is dependant on whether you have the same tastes as we do.

Midlothian, VA
“Best meal in Europe!!”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

This restaurant was recommended in one of our guidebooks, so decided to try it while visiting Arles. We sat downstairs, where there were only two tables and a view of the kitchen. It's a small, family run restaurant and it was fun watching the chef, a gray haired man, construct each plate and how everyone worked so well together in a pretty small space. The food here was great!! We started with an amuse bouche - a green pea or some green veggie blend in a shot glass. For starters, hubby had a salad with some local sausages and I had a wonderful rabbit terrine with fig sauce. For main courses, hubby had what they called a "meatball" that was like roast or beef daube in a red wine sauce over red rice - it was wonderful!! I had veal in puff pastry with a gravy and tiny onions, which was delectable. For dessert, hubby had a peach creme brulee' and I had a wonderful mols of strawberries and cream with a side of lemon gelato that contained pieces of candied lemon rind - the best gelato I've ever eaten. The food presentation was beautiful and everything we ate was delicious. We had a litre of Badoit, a nice bottle of white wine, a Muscaat and a cafe and our bill was 74..20 Euros. Do not miss this restaurant if you are ever in the area!!!

• Visited July 2012
4 Thank tennisc-8
Norfolk, United Kingdom
“Chalk or Cheese? Did other reviewers all eat in the same place?”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stumbled on this restaurant today whilst the Mistral blew wildly. We had lunch, my husband the 25 euro menu and I had the 16 euro. A delicious 'amuse bouche' of carrot and roquefort puree was brought. He had a nicely textured, subtly flavoured seafood starter, after we both had the black pudding and crevette. His pudding was a chocolate and caramel confection which he says was absolutely delicious and my creme brulee a fleur d'orange was the best I'd ever had (and I've had lots). I was driving so he had an excellent glass of the house red. I had a sip and it was a delicious primitivo taste. All this plus a bottle of San Pel and 2 coffees came to 54 euros. Not what I would call a kings ransom. Some people have described the food as bland, I would say subtle tastes. Service excellent and the after dinner choc was top class.
Would definitely eat there again.

• Visited January 2013
San Francisco, California
“Excellent food and wine”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This place was excellent. We were here back in June and it was probably the best places we ate on our trip to southern France. We didn't have a reservation, but were lucky as they had one of the tables upstairs available. We had a lamb and a beef and everything was really good and paired well with the wine selection. Overall a great experience.

• Visited June 2012
ireland
“A class dining experience”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

we had dinner at this restaurant on the last night of a two week holiday and were we sorry we didnt stumble across it earlier. a tiny gem in a small side street near in the centre of arles, La gueule du loop is a superb little restaurant.ground floor front of house consists of 4 or 5 two top trtables and a four top plus the kitchen itself which opens onto the dining area allowing you to see whats going on behind the scenes.in fact our table was so close to the kitchen that i was able to shake hands with the chef whilst sitting down! It looked like a family run operation and our waitress was superb and very friendly.The food itself was magnificient and beautifully presented.A pea and mint puree was served complimentary prior to our first course of fois gras. we followed this with a filet of camargue bull that was cooked to perfection.Desert was a selection of homemade ices with a warm caramel sauce to die for. A glass of sauterne was enough to top off a perfect meal. There is an old fashioned french charm about this place and we will be returning in the future. including a bottle of cotes du rhone our meal came to approx 100 euros or thereabouts,which was very fair for the quality of the meal and for this part of France. superb.

• Visited September 2012