“Van Gogh is cursing in his tomb”
Review of Le Cafe La Nuit

Le Cafe La Nuit
Ranked #223 of 271 Restaurants in Arles
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Almaty
“Van Gogh is cursing in his tomb”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Mediocre food at average prices. When we asked for an additional napkin, the waiter pretended he did not understand us. The owners think they can ride on the painter's fame without improving the service quality. The place around the cafe is a charming, well-preserved piece of old France.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We dropped in on our first evening in Arles for a quick post-dinner beer, admired the huge paella being cooked at the front and the fish display, enjoyed the friendly staff, and decided to eat there the next night. We got there to find no paella on display, staff suddenly sporadically unfriendly and disorganised despite there being far fewer customers, and the food, when it arrived, disappointing compared with what we'd seen being served the previous night. The paella gave the impression of having been cooked the previous day and reheated (though not very well). Other customers were getting bread with their meals, but not us, and we might have ordered more drinks if the waiter had hung around for at least a second between putting out food on the table and dashing away.
When we came to pay, we were told credit cards weren't being accepted - this hadn't been mentioned when we sat down.
On the plus side, the view over the Forum is good, the covers over the outside seats work well, and we did get promptly moved to a different table when another customer started smoking right next to us. Pretty decor, too.
I don't know what caused the apparent overnight personality change, but I won't be going back.

• Visited June 2013
Nice, France
“starry night”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

great food, inspirational. The restaurant overlooks a small market square ,historically part of the Roma forum cnstructed for the arrival of emperor Julius ceasar

Visited September 2012
Yarm, United Kingdom
“Avoid this restaurant”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We arrived at this restaurant without reading any reviews and were lured in by the Van Gogh connection and the Menu du Jour at €14.50. We sat down and ordered some wine. When the waitress came to take our order she said that they don't do the menu of the day. We should have left then. The staff were gossiping and smoking outside the restaurant. The food was bland and expensive. I ordered the poulet a l'Arlesienne which turned out to be roast chicken with dry rice and ratatouille which also had no sauce. My husband's steak was small and they added €3 for the meagre sauce served with it. When it came to paying the waitress told me to go inside if I wanted to use a credit card. Inside I was told the machine was not working and I should have been told so when I sat down. The waitress did not seem that bothered that she had not told me. Fortunately I had enough cash to pay. My advice is to take your photos of Van Gogh's famous restaurant and then move on. There are lots of much better places nearby.

1 Thank Ann W
Mannheim
“Tourist trap”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We were at this restaurant for lunch and sat outside. It took a very long time to even get the menu. The service was friendly but not very competent. The food was bland and certainly overpriced. There are many other restaurants on this small and very nice square - we just picked the first one, let our usual guard down, and paid the price. I cannot recommend this restaurant to anyone.

1 Thank Springbank_21