“Chanvre apartment”
Review of La Madone

La Madone
Ranked #3 of 17 Specialty Lodging in Apt
Reviewed July 19, 2013

It is almost a year since staying in this apartment for two weeks. I find myself feeling a wistful longing to return!

Natalie and Jean-Bernard are delightful hosts. Whether its a mud map, aperitif, delicious breakfast hanging on the door or restaurant bookings (unfortunately we don't speak french) - they are gracious and spot on with advice. The recommendation for La Bartevelle for my 60th birthday will never be forgotten. Food and hosts 5 star!

The spacious apartment holds a special memory for us with its fabulous antiques and view. It was a pleasure to spread out and cook, draw, quilt, crochet and sew. Natalie's linens have converted me to French Linen.

Apt has all one needs - markets (ahhh goats cheese...), bakery, fruit and wine. Did I mention the football size meringues? It is a foodies heaven. The surrounding towns and villages are story book pictures.

We just loved everything about La Madone and hope to return. Helen and Yuri

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Staying at La Madone was a lovely experience for my husband and I.. the perfect location for us as we'd hired a car and wanted to visit many of the neighbouring villages in the surrounding hills nearby so it served as an excellent base. We stayed in the Lin apartment and found it beautifully laid out and perfect for the two of us - we welcomed the fresh continental breakfast each morning and Nathalie and Jean-Bernard were helpful and energetic hosts. We loved the opportunity of taking aperitifs with our hosts and other guests during our stay. Limited parking presents as one area of some awkwardness, although lots of parking nearby at the 'submersible carpark' ;)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at La Madone, Apt in early June 2013.

We stayed in the Baroque Apartment and really enjoyed our stay. The apartment is beautifully interior decorated. It is very French with antiques, vintage linens and beautiful chandeliers. We were also allowed to use the lovely garden and swimming pool which was like a Roman bath. Each morning Nathalie left a baguette, croissant and pain au chocolate in a lovely white cotton bag outside our apartment. This was a really nice touch, very thoughtful and we appreciated it. The town of Apt has lovely little streets and shops to explore. We really enjoyed going to the brocante and markets in other towns and even during our short stay managed to find a few little vintage treasures to take home with us at the antique market, Sunday morning in the town of I’isle sur la Sorgue.

We were very comfortable at La Madone and found the peace and beauty of the apartment very relaxing and therapeutic. We loved the Luberon and found La Madone a perfect location to base ourselves while visiting the surrounding towns etc.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank Nathalie and Jean-Bernard for their hospitality, we really enjoyed our time at La Madone and would highly recommend it. We hope to return for a longer stay in the future.

S & N from Dublin, Ireland.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

The Renaissance apartment has got to be one my favourite places I've ever stayed, with much credit to Nathalie and Jean-Bernard who have obviously worked very hard to make it that way.

This is a beautifully, sensitively and comfortably renovated old apartment dating back to the C17th. Very spacious, cool and airy in the summer thanks to having doors and shutters all along one side opening onto a lovely private terrace where you can sip your wine and watch the swifts circling the church tower above you. We found it reasonably toddler friendly too - a cute mini room for the cot and a bunk bed, and despite all the lovely antiques, most breakables were well out of reach. I thought it was very good value compared with other places in the area.

Jean-Bernard and Nathalie were both absolutely charming and very helpful both in advance and whilst we were there. Do take up their offer of an aperitif in their lovely garden and chance to meet them and the other guests. I envy their lifestyle!

Apt is a great place to stay - the largest town in the area with plenty of great little shops and a large supermarket for food. The central old town where the apartment is located is atmospheric and pleasant to stroll through. It lacks any major sights I think, but that helps it feel like a real place not overrun by tourists like many of the more obvious 'pretty' villages nearby.

The Saturday morning market is ENORMOUS, AMAZING and right (literally) on your doorstep. Parking then is tricky, though there's places with no problem to park up on Friday night.

Our favourite things to do locally were: lazy afternoon picnic on the tiny sandy beach and paddling by the Roman Pont Julien; a walk through the stunning landscape of red ochre near Rustrel; driving around and exploring little villages and lunch at Le Bistrot de Lagarde.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank joellybaby
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This fantastic building is worth seeing on its own. But not only that; the lovely couple who runs it has done a magnificent work to make the apartments individually in their own style and with best taste. Also how you can be a big family or a small group - great flexibility in combining two or three apartments to share. Perfect location in Apt where you find everything and have easy access to the Luberon and Vaucluse area. Fairly easy to park around the corner too. We enjoyed it all with the cool mornings and quick walk to the bakery as a favourite!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My wife and I visited last summer and stayed for one week. The apartment we were assigned is beautiful and spacious. There was a daily morning delivery of bread and chocolate croissants that may be the best I've ever had. The best amenity is the beautiful pool on the gardens. We ended up spending most of the days in the pool during the August heat, and then venture out at night. The evenings cooled off considerably.There were plenty of fans in the rooms, as A/C is difficult to find in Provence. The hosts were welcoming and very friendly. We met wonderful people from around the world at their weekly cocktail hour they host in the garden. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I spent ten days in April at La Madone. I had waited three years to go there and I was charmed by the authenticity of the house. We had the Baroque suite with two bedrooms and also a balcony which looked over the pool.
Each morning, a linen bag was left on the door with fresh bread, which was a lovely touch.
Nathalie and Jean-Bernard were charming, they did not intrude in any way but were there should you want to ask questions. They also held a cheese and wine party during the week for anyone staying in the apartments.
I fell in love with La Madone and was reluctant to leave. It is within easy reach of the town where the Saturday market is wonderful.
La Madone is a great place to make your base for touring around the Luberon.
Merci Jean-Bernard and Nathalie, for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Our room, the Baroque, had a lovely view over the town and the swimming pool.