“Surely a Michelin star can't be far away?”

Le Formal - Caves Henri IV
Ranked #20 of 887 Restaurants in Aix-en-Provence
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We booked to eat here on our night in Aix due to the rave reviews, although we expected it to be more rustic than it is. This really is a smart restaurant, with clever and tasty food at a good price.

The restaurant is downstairs, which given the beautiful weather, was about the only disappointment . Still it was light and airy, which was surprising for a cellar. We ate on a Thursday and the place was full. The staff were all friendly and at pains to help.

All of he food from their cheapest menu was delicious, and despite its nouvelle cuisine leanings, the portions were good.

The food is exquisitely served with massive attention detail. In addition to the advertised menu we were served two additional starters and an extra desert.m We definitely recommend this.

1  Thank Exetergourmets

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I visited the restaurant because I am opening one soon myself in a similar setting and I have to say, it was way better than expected. I am totally astonished by the price-performance ratio: 1A!
7 courses 46 Euros and one better than the other...wines starting at around 27. Each dish is more or less an artwork and tastes great. I had absolutely no complaints.
There are 2 menus, one is with 3 fixed dishes, all the others courses you can choose from a list with about 8 items for each - one better than the other. the second menu is basically the same - just truffled.
But with all the choices it is simply lovely dining. If you read my reviews - this was about the best dinner in the last 2 years and affordable. the only back draw: the restaurant is located in a beautiful 15th century cellar and doesn't have outdoor dining. I didn't mind though, this way service is guaranteed constant and quiet.
From outside you can almost not detect the place...and since it is very close to the cours Mirabeau with lots of cafes you can take one afterwards there.

1  Thank barbaraebner
Reviewed June 8, 2013

A great meal in a nice restaurant in the center of Aix en Provence? Want to meet the locals? We were very fortunate to be able to book a table at "Le Formal" on a Thursday evening. Book well ahead for Fri/Sat evening... Very creative cuisine were dinners are asked to choose / me up a menu depending on the number of dishes you have appetite for. Everything we had was exquisite, well prepared and super fresh.

Very friendly service and the chef makes sure he greats you upon leaving to get your impressions. Nice touch indeed.

Note: restaurant is situated in a small pedestrian street and is "underground" (very charming)

We would go back without hesitation.

1  Thank marczuber
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We had the pleasure of dining at La Formal twice. The food was very creative and was excellent. Service is timely and very professional. The best place we ate during our stay I in Provence

Reviewed May 17, 2013

While restaurant Le Formal provides a creative menu and ambiance, the inability of the staff to provide gluten free food resulted in two less days that I can enjoy the wonderful food in Provence. The incompetent service was not limited to dealing with my food allergy, but extended to our entire group of four. The wrong wine was brought to the table. All three courses that were to be gluten free were returned because they contained gluten. A wrong desert was brought. My desert required three attempts to get it right. There seemed to be little communication between our waiter, the kitchen, and the person who brought the food to the table. And despite my repeated efforts to avoid gluten, one of the (delicious) sauces must have contained flour, because I became sick after leaving the restaurant.

Most restaurants in Provence seem able provide gluten free options, and I am sure Le Formal could also. Perhaps they should focus a little more on the health of their customers.