Hotel de France
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel des Augustins(Aix-en-Provence)
Hotel Saint Christophe(Aix-en-Provence)
  • Restaurant
Negrecoste Hotel & Spa(Aix-en-Provence)
  • Spa
Hotel Artea Aix Centre(Aix-en-Provence)
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel de Gantes(Aix-en-Provence)
  • Room Service
Boutique Hotel Cezanne(Aix-en-Provence)
  • Room Service
Hotel du Globe(Aix-en-Provence)
View Hotel
Hotel des Quatre Dauphins(Aix-en-Provence)
La Maison d'Aix(Aix-en-Provence)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel La Rotonde(Aix-en-Provence)
View Hotel
All reviewsbars and restaurantsold townrecommend this hotelnice roomboutique hotelexcellent locationeach morningnoiseprestigenuxeaixcentrecharmlinensclosetshutterskettle
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Very convient, BUT room was VERY SMALL compared to a room from the group (Ibis etc.)
and no shower very small and no shower curtain, so floor very wet in the very small bathroom.

Advice is stay in private B & B's

Room Tip: No idea of other rooms
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eghhpeter
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Excellent place to stay in Aix. You cannot beat the location. The room was much bigger than expected.
First impression of the outside is that it would be a tad 'shabby', as the building is quite old and basic - but the location and rooms are hard to beat. Very clean and spacious and a relatively new bathroom.
Breakfast room (and in fact the whole hotel) is quite charming, and the continental breakfast that's served was much much better than you'd expect from a 'two-star' hotel!

If you want to be in the thick of things in Aix at a decent price, this is the place. We stayed here for 2 nights, wish we had stayed longer, and would definitely come back again.

Room Tip: Rooms are different sizes, so make sure you ask for a large one!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sayermd
Reviewed September 4, 2012

after reading the reviews for this hotel I was more than a little nervous about my stay. I could have cancelled but the location is perfect and I thought I would see it through. I'm so glad I did, I'm here now and it's a great hotel and I'm extremely hard to please. The location is indeed perfect, everything you need to enjoy thIs breathtaking French town is within easy walking distance. The hotel is situated on a very lively Place with many bars and restaurants open until the early hours. If you are a light sleeper it would be best to book a room at the rear of the hotel . Mine is, it's very quiet but has no view. The rooms at the front have wonderful views of the Place but are noisy obviously. The building itself is a typical old Provençal town house retaining many original features and the rooms are painted a calm grey like so many interiors in this part of France. This is offset by white furniture and linen. My bed is new and one of the most comfortable I've slept in. The bathroom is also new and immaculate , the towels are changed daily and the shower is extremely effiicient.
The dining room is stunning , an eclectic mix of original. features with antique and contemporary furniture. The breakfast is typically continental : cereal, fruit, yoghurt, bread,croissants,ham,cheese and an excellent automatic coffee machine which grinds beans for each cup as required.
All the staff are friendly and helpful, I've been here 6 days so I think I can say this with a certain confidence at this point.
I would recommend this hotel unreservedly based on my experience this week. If you require the type of accommodation offered by the larger chain hotels, formulaic with no surprises, and there's nothing wrong with that, then this hotel may not be for you but if you travel to enjoy a slice of life in another country then the Hotel de France will certainly deliver.

Room Tip: quiet rooms at the rear of the hotel but without views of the Place
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Malcolm A
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed here based on a NYT review. Hotel changed management a week before my arrival- It was HORRIBLE! The electricity repeatedly went out, staff was rude and unhelpful in every way and additionally the staff gave incorrect information about the area. Charged 10 euros for a coffee that I did not even know I was being charged for- and in fact breakfast was only 7 euros, yet my coffee cost 10! This was by far the worst hotel I ever stayed in. Only positive I can this hotel is to say that the location was excellent. EVERY other thing was awful.

Room Tip: No doubt about it - stay anywhere else!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank CF R
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights and I liked it very much.

The location absolutely could NOT be any more convenient. It is right in the centre of things. Restaurants and bars abound, and within walking distance to all points of interest in the old town.

The decor inside the building is really pretty, too, and exudes typical French charm. The room was absolutely fine. Old-fashioned? Yes. Shabby? No. One must remember that they are staying in a historic building; modernizing it extensively would only serve to take away part of its appeal. The important thing is that it was clean, safe and comfortable. My window overlooked onto the courtyard...and I even had the same dove visit me regularly each morning :)

The people at the front desk were also very nice. If I remember correctly, I believe they were of Portuguese descent. They always had a friendly smile and welcome for me while I went back and forth.

Nice little hotel...I recommend it for a couple of nights in Aix!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo