Hotel Artea Aix Centre
Great 4.5/5
  • Pool
Aquabella Hotel(Aix-en-Provence)
  • Pool
Negrecoste Hotel & Spa(Aix-en-Provence)
  • Spa
Boutique Hotel Cezanne(Aix-en-Provence)
Great 4.5/5
  • Room Service
All reviewscours mirabeaude la republiqueheavy luggagebase from which to explorestar hotelbig roomtourist bureaurecommend this hotelfamily roomcharming placebreakfast roomreception deskwi fihotel is locatedbed was comfortableelevatorparking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I have stayed here on several occasions in 2011 and 2012--and recommended it to family who also stayed here. The location is great--walking distance to pretty much everywhere in Aix (including la Rotunde). The tourist office originally directed me here and I am glad they did. I have stayed in 4 different rooms at different times, all of which were fine (clean, nice, but size does vary a lot so ask if you want a big room). The staff are helpful, although their knowledge of English varies quite a bit. I would say it is good value for the price. Downsides would be street noise (related to being centrally located) and breakfast is not included. Wifi is free however, and there were lots of TV channels. There is an elevator, but only at the back entrance.

Room Tip: Ask for one off the street if possible.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mel_ven22
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Being unfamiliar with the town of Aix and picking a hotel almost at random from an online booking engine, my friend and I absolutely lucked out with the Hotel Artea. Now, if I was to return to Aix or I knew someone that was going, this would be the only place I'd stay/recommend. It's at the ideal intersection of value, location and comfort and the perfect base for exploring Aix.

On our way to Aix by train the handle on my suitcase keeled over and died, so I was not in a good mood after lugging it from the station to the door of the Artea. (About a five minute, perfectly fine walk if you don't have a suitcase with a broken handle.) The Artea is located right by the new tourist office, near the Rotunde and the main street, the Cours Mirabeau. As a DIY/hardware store occupies the building at ground level, first impressions may not be amazing, and my face dropped when we walked in and discovered that a flight of stairs was the only way to get to reception on the first floor (remember: broken suitcase). But then, as if by magic, a helpful front desk agent appeared, lugged my dead weight case up to reception and gave us a room literally around the corner from it (so: no more dealing with the dead weight) and things just went up from there.

My favourite thing about the Artea is that it felt French, if not Provencal. The room had double French doors leading out onto a small balcony, tiled floors, distressed furniture, soft and warm bed linens and a beautifully decorated bathroom with luxury amenities. It was spotlessly clean and extremely comfortable. A long corridor led to the small breakfast room, and a little bar area was directly next to our room with comfy, tub-style armchairs: a nice, quiet place to enjoy a drink or have a coffee in the afternoon.

Its location cannot be beat. From leaving the front door to arriving on the Mirabeau took about 3 minutes, and the Old Town could then be accessed off to the left of that main street. It was wonderful to be able to leave the hotel in the morning and know that no matter where we headed to in the town, we could always easily return to our hotel to drop off shopping bags or have a little rest.

Right outside the hotel is a new shopping complex that includes the new tourist office, as well as several coffee shops and restaurants that offer convenient dining locations.

Best of all, the room rate was extremely reasonable. A taxi back to the bus station cost €8 (we could've walked, but for the aforementioned suitcase). My only complaint, if I was pushed to have one, was that because of the tiled floors the room could be noisy as we could hear furniture being moved and heels clacking on the floor above, but this was only a minor annoyance and it wouldn't deter me from staying here again.

I highly, highly recommend the Artea for the value-seeking traveler who wants a convenient location right in the heart of the beautiful Aix-en-Provence.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank catherineh1982
Reviewed December 7, 2013

For a four day working visit to Aix, I chose a hotel located a short walk away from my place of business. The Artrea fit the bill perfectly. My room was comfortable, clean and relatively spacious, the wifi - an essential these days - was more reliable than at larger, more renowned properties, and the staff friendly and accommodating. My only caveat is bring earplugs and eye patches if your room faces the main street as it is nearly impossible to get the room fully dark and block out street noises. Next time, I will request a room on the back side of the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Finem50
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We came for a weekend in early November. It was about a 10 minute walk from the train station.It would have been easier with a cab since we had luggage. The room they gave us was very spacious, as was the bathroom. It was clean and well stocked. We had a small balcony overlooking the road toward the large fountain. Of course the beds are ultra firm, but this seems to be all of France, if not Europe. There was a lift I think, but we never used it. The staff was great and spoke English. GREAT restaurants were all over and the museums, sights and such were great! It was a good value and would go back.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
hotelartea, La direction de l'hôtel at Hotel Artea Aix Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Dear videoeditman,

First of all thank you for this review posted on Tripadvisor after your stay at The Hotel Artea in November.
As you made the point, our location is a big facility for our clients. All the commodities can be done by walking.
We hope you will go back soon in Aix en Provence. It will be a pleasure to welcome you back at the Hotel Artea.

Best regards,

The hotel Management

Reviewed November 2, 2013

The Hotel Artea is an amazing hotel in the heart of Aix-en Provence. The rooms are very spacious and clean. The staff are professional and warm. Within easy walking distance to the city's many attractions, the Hotel Artea offers a great breakfast at a reasonable price.

Our family loved everything about our stay at the Hotel Artea, and we'd highly recommend them to anyone visiting Aix-en Provence.

Room Tip: 121 is a great room for two, and 131 sleeps three guests very comfortably.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
hotelartea, La direction de l'hôtel at Hotel Artea Aix Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Dear D3taylor,

We really appreciate your review posted online after your stay at the Hotel Artea. We are happy to know that our staff and the hotel gave you a pleasant stay to your family.
We really insist on our staff to be pleasant and warn with our client, they are the cover of the hotel and can easily make a stay much more enjoyable. We really pay attention to the cleanness of rooms; they are verified each day by the housekeeping service. In addition, we are glad to know that the breakfast was what you expected, it is a service in which we really pay attention in terms of customer service.
We hope see you very soon for your next visit in Aix en Provence.

Best regards,