“A Relaxing Stay”

Le Mas des Ecureuils Hotel
Ranked #46 of 69 Hotels in Aix-en-Provence
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We spent a week in this simple and charming hotel tucked away in Les Milles. There are signs with the hotel name on the roads leading there but it can be a challenge spotting the entrance and navigating the one lane road in an out of the property. Definitely worth it. It was a pleasure to relax in such a bucolic setting.

Our room was small but comfortable and clean. WiFi was good but only allows the connection of one device at a time for each room. Lunches and dinners were well prepared and the outdoor dining area is lovely. Breakfast is merely average.

The service is wonderful and the charming owner is helpful and provided us with great information about the area and tips for touring the region. We were made to feel very much at home here and would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ronkfel

Reviewed June 3, 2012

When I first arrived, I stayed in the center of Aix for 4 days, and paid for parking all day/night PLUS I had my car towed (be very careful where you DO park your car if it's not in a paid lot).

I chose Mas des Ecureuils for its location (near to Aix but close to the airport route), price and FREE PARKING.

With quiet grounds and all the amenities you'd want for a family trip (lovely pool, table tennis, foosball table, forest to hike around in, hammocks throughout the trees for a little leisurely reading time), I would consider staying there again when my family needs a spot in Aix. True, it was VERY tough to find (I had GPS and still got lost), but once there you're close enough to Aix to quickly pop in.

The staff is gracious (I needed help contacting french schools, which they did for me, as well as recommending nearby wineries/tasting rooms). The room was good (clean, no spiderwebs or musty smell), and they have a lovely terraced patio where you can take your meals.

The one thing that was challenging was the WiFi. I needed to work / be in contact with people back in the United States, and the WiFi was spotty at best. They are working on fixing it, but that posed a challenge.

Summary: While Ecureuils isn't fancy, I'd recommend it and stay there again. In my opinion, it's much easier to head in to the city for a day (and park in a lot) and come home in the evening to find abundant, FREE parking.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank LMilan
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We stayed in the hotel when we attended a friends wedding in Aix - The hotel is really close to the city but it is not easy to find it at all. On the plus side we had a simple but nice room and dinner on the first night which was really nice.When we ordered cheese a very nice cheeseboard with 9 different cheese was left on our table... really nice. We probably would go back to the hotel if we were in the area again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 8, 2011

This hotel is beautifully located on the outskirts of Aix but so difficult to find that I recommend you book only if you have a GPS. We arrived on Friday evening for a 3 night stay. Pierre the waiter com red cap, seeing that my wife had difficulty ascending the many stairs to our room took us to the annex where we were much more comfortable. No chef or menu for the night, Pierre fixed us up with a salad. Dinner was served with a full menu on Saturday evening, I ate a pigeon dish which was OK but nothing special. My wife had shoe leather disguised as a steak, sending it back to the kitchen in return for a softer version of the shoe leather! The star dish of the evening was the cheese plate, extensive, generous and varied. We've never seen such generous portions ever! Sunday night, short menu, whipped up by Olivia, the very kind and helpful manager. We never dared eat out, although we wished to, for fear of not finding our way home. We discoverd, on check-out that they charged us the lower room rate rather than the higher rate in the annex: that was very kind.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed in two rooms (#14 and #15). One of them had a terrible, mold/mildew smell coming from the bathroom. Also, there were spiderwebs in the corners of the room. We made the mistake of eating lunch in the restaurant, and it was the worst meal by far that we have had in France (and we've lived here for almost a year). The hotel is 10 minutes from Aix, so you have to drive into town and try to find a parking spot. I would not recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed May 31, 2011

For business the surrounding can be appreciated as well as the hideway aspects but rooms and particularly bathrooms, make this hotel not the best choice for business trips.
Also my room smelt humidity and they got me a room just on the car passage which was really unconvenient, if you want to open the bathroom window for example (as there is no aeration).
Breakfast is ok, jam is good, certainly artisanale, but you could expect a better bread.
Not to mention that the swimming pool is just close to the reception and in front of the restaurant...

Room Tip: don t get room 1 or 2
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2011

We only stayed one night and i forgot my coat, it was kindly posted to my home in the UK.
We had a pleasant stay and the staff were very helpful with restaurant advice and about seeing the Saturday market. THANK YOU

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple