“Great value for money”

La Bastide du Roy Rene

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We do not have so big expectations on this place because it was not so expensive. But we thought the equipment was a little bit old. We had a apartment for four persons but there was no light on the ground floor. We talked to the clerk and they said they will try to fix a lamp. Next day when we arrived in the evening it was dark and no lamp so we could not see anything in the room. We went to the reception and talk to them again and told them that we must have a lamp. This was VERY hard work for them, they have to go to an empty room and fetch a lamp! So we get light in the end. It was not so mutch people staying here when we stayed at the hotel, I thing it was low season.The bed was okey and the kitchen was rader well equipted. The breakfast was good. This place could be really good if they repair the rooms. I am sorry to say but the staff was not so helpful and service minded.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Prior to my arrival, I have to say I got off to a bad start having trouble finding the Bastide. Fortunately one of the town elders of Aix pointed me in the right direction and told me the old Bastide was, in fact, the ancient manor house of a King Rene of Provence. As I drove in, I was impressed by the large, picturesque grounds and the high fortress walls. There were lots of Cypress Trees and tons of available parking space. I was even greeted by a large fountain bubbling away in front of reception. I felt safe and secure as I noted the high double gates were security coded. So far so good.The only downside were the furnishings in the room which were a bit out dated. Still these were minor inconveniences for a overnight stay and I’d have to say with a little bit of refurbishment this place could be a real gem. I’m glad I had the car as I soon realised it was a long way from the city centre and the good restaurants of Aix.

Tips:1. A local bus comes almost to the door and runs regularly.
2.Be prepared for traffic jams in Aix.
3.Free Wifi was a pleasant surprise.
4.Reception only open between 8 am and 6 pm.
5.Big TV on wall of your room and has a couple of English speaking channels.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank 255100Max
Aix-en-Provence, France
Reviewed August 10, 2011

good location just on the outskirts of the city. 20min walk from the train station. lovely hotel building with everything you could need in the rooms. fridge, cooker, microwave, pots/pans, plates, knifes and forks etc. free internet and TV with English speaking channel, BBC. there is a laundry room that you can use also in the hotel. Bottom floor apartments have the added bonus of seating area/porch in front of every room.
we walked to Montagne sainte-victoire from the hotel, however this is a full days walking and an easier option is to take the bus to the village of Tholonet and start from there.
The hotel is in a peaceful location just past the Ibis Hotel next to the sports center. Not exactly where it is shown on google earth.

Room Tip: bottom floor apartments have a porch with table and chairs and umbrella.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bobby c
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2011

While the pictures are stunning we expected a more country like setting. Behind the hedge is a large campground which we weren't expecting but it wasn't noisy. The rooms were outdated yet appeared clean until our daughter discovered her sheets were dirty and contained hair. The other beds appeared to have clean linen. The location was reasonably close to downtown and A8 and there was lots of parking. The rooms aren't air conditioned but the kitchenette was fine. Courtyard patio was nice. Don't go for the breakfast as it is sparse and overpriced. Worse, the pastries ran out and weren't replenished, when a staff member finally visited the breakfast room we thought this would be remedied, instead she took the last drop of coffee and didn't bring any more!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Bonjourney065

Travelers are raving about these Aix-en-Provence hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 7, 2010

I loved to stay at this place 5 years ago on some business trips. They seem to have done nothing to the rooms since then. Nevertheless I still like the self contained studios with a private little patio in front. Good place to relax in the evening. The rooms are well equipped with all you need (plates, glasses, cutlery etc.) but coffee making facilities are somewhat poor. There are washing machines you can use as well.
On the flipside the location is not good if you want to go sightseeing in Aix (30-40 minutes walk to the center) and as there is no air con, the rooms can get unpleasently warm in summer. So I only recommend to stay there in spring or autumn as in winter you are not able to enjoy the little patio and in summer the rooms lack the air con.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Danitias
Sydney
Reviewed August 13, 2009

Need we say more! Thıs was the most dısappointing hotel stay that my friend and I had on our whole holiday. It took us well over an hour to fınd the hotel after arrıvıng into the town. Tnıs was after stoppıng for directions from locals as well as askıng the İbıs Hotel (next door!!!) where ıt was. There were NO signs to the hotel that were vısible from the roadsıde and arrivıng late ın the evning was a nıghtmare. To top ıt off the reception closes at 9pm so luckily we had called ın advance to let them know that we were arrivıng late and for a key to be left ın a safe place for us. Once we arrived there were no lifts so we had to drag our heavy suitcases up about 20 stairs whıch Im sure woke everyone up. The room was VERY stuffy and having no aır conditioning was just the icing on the cake to a very bad hotel experience!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends