“just terrible!..”

Ranked #29 of 68 Hotels in Aix-en-Provence
Istanbul, Turkey
“just terrible!..”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2004

Desiring to visit the city where we met and where we lived for 6 years, my husband, our 3 years old daughter and I went to Aix in July 2004. We decided to stay at hotel Cardinal as they could give us a room four 5 days, without switching the room. As it was the full season and we did not reserved, it was difficult to find a room for 5 days consecutives in other hotels. So we did not pay attention to shower/bath without curtain, uncomfortable beds or dirty carpets. However, in the afternoon (at 19:00) of our 4th day the hotel personnel announced to us that the day after we should go to another hotel that he booked for us. When we asked why he replied that there was a problem in one another client’s room and we should move to make place for that person. Then, we have asked why not that person but us should move he just answered that the other client was there since two weeks and she was a good client for them. When we said that it was not a good reason and we have taken the room four 5 days, he just said that the situation was changed. Then I told him that I would not accept to leave the room and the person reacted in an argumentative tone, he was very insolent and he even threatened us to call the police. I was shocked by his hostility and unfairness and I said that it was a very good idea. Of course he did not called the police, however we left immediately this ugly place hold by ugly persons.

• Stayed July 2004
17 Thank Elicin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Korean first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2004

Our room and visit was very nice and comfortable. Extra charges were added, however, upon check-out after a horrid display of anger by hotel personnel.

Not speaking French, I took a local student to help. The student asked for an explanation of why 11 euros was added to our bill because we had a phone in the room. The hotel personnel reacted in an argumentative tone and after a flurrid exchange he began altering the daily room rate speaking directly to me in such extreme anger that I felt frightened. He then rose from his table with his chest out as if he wanted to fight the student. I later learned he'd said he was charging me extra because "this child" had called him a thief.

I don't know exactly what was said. But I've never been spoken to in such a hostile way and it's quite uncomfortable to think that a rate can be changed simply because of a question....or perhaps a misunderstanding. I'm just thankful the student remained calm and a scuffled didn't occur. I simply paid the bill to extract myself from a stressful situation.

I would never stay there again or recommend this hotel to anyone.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2004

This was the first hotel in which we stayed in France and loved it! A 200 year old building with much charm and a great location close to the Cours Mirabeau and the center of town. The breakfast has the best coffee in France! Would stay here again any time.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2003

This was one of the most charming hotels we stayed in on our vacation through Provence. The staff was so friendly, the rates very reasonable and the rooms were very sweet with nice furnishings. I think we were in room 7.

When we checked in, the woman didn't know too much English but saw I was disappointed that there was no air con (it was mid-July and France was in heat wave). She let us view another smaller room in the back where it was shadier and cooler but we opted for the larger room facing the street. When we returned from touring Aix, she had found a large fan and put it in our room - it did the trick and we were very comfortable all night.

9 Thank Pickiefamily
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2003

this is a really nice hotel in central aix, my gf and i stayed here and the rooms are small but gorgeous
frank