“Returning to my provencal home” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel des Augustins

Hotel des Augustins
Ranked #30 of 69 Hotels in Aix-en-Provence
California
“Returning to my provencal home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel for the past 13-14 years. Each year, I look forward to visiting provence.
In the past, I have stayed at other hotels, but Hotel des Augustins remains my favorite hotel.
The accomodations are comfortable, and the staff are warm and welcoming and very helpful.
The hotel is situated in the older section of Aix and is close to many hotels,tourist office,
and post. I have used a private transport company which was recommended by the hotel,
and I have used for the past two years.Eric , with Sainte Victoire Transport. I would also recommend him in assisting you with travel to the small ,unique villages outside of Aix.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms I have stayed in have been quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank veneziaamore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed here for one night at their comfort room. I was very pleased with the room and the lobby and common area of the hotel. The lobby had a decor of an ancient castle. The room was a bit small, but we already expected it because we reserved a standard room of a hotel in the historical center of Aix. However, the room was clean and had a nice, cosy decor. They also did give me the particular room which I requested after seeing the photo on the website. That was nice of them. The bathroom was clean and big. However, there was no shower curtain or shower door. So, we had to be very careful when we showered to not to get everywhere wet. The bathroom had a small cabinet on the floor which I think they should defintely seal it because it was just pipes, etc, inside and was full of dust and dirt. It was so aweful inside, we closed it immediately. The location is excellent, just off of Cours Mirabeau in the historical center except that just outside the hotel in Rue de la Masse, there are some garbage and it smells very bad very time we walked past. All the staff was decent and courteous. Price, though not great, but is fair for the location and for the time of the year. I would not recommend having the breakfast there though because it costed 10 euro per person but had only yogurt and bread, besides coffee and juice. No eggs, cold cuts or fruits. I am not sure if that is a typical breakfast in Provence. I would recommend staying in this hotel overall.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Popular-traveller
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Hotel des Augustins for a night in July 2012. We rented two rooms, one for my husband and me and one for our son. The hotel is in an excellent location. I recommend that if you are driving, park in one of the nearby public garages and carry your luggage to the hotel rather than trying to drive through the very, very crowded downtown area and park in front of the hotel (blocking all traffic) to unload. There is no dedicated parking for the hotel, so you will have to go to a parking garage anyway.

The lobby of the hotel is nice; the rooms not so nice. The rooms, at least the two we had, desperately needed renovation. They are extremely run down and grungy. The bathroom could use a good scrubbing, the tile grout was dirty and I didn't want to touch anything in there. There was a positively ancient wall mounted hair dryer which was useless; luckily I had my own. There was no shower curtain or door on the tub, which made taking a shower without flooding the bathroom a challenge.

It was very inconvenient to have to leave the key at the desk every time we left the hotel; I have not stayed at a hotel which required you to do this in many years.

Thanks to warnings from fellow Tripadvisor members, we skipped the breakfast here and found a cheaper and very nice breakfast at a cafe in town.

I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

- good price

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
frederick, maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

This hotel starts with great promise, with the reception area reminding patrons of its ancient provenance supposedly still within the walls of the 12th Century "Couvent des Grands Augustins". It's a great letdown once you ascend the staircase to enter ordinary (but very comfortable) rooms. Good A/C was a big plus (you get the A/C control issued when you get your room key). The hotel was just off the main scenic walkway through the core of the town (the Cours Mirabeau, with ancient fountains, other historic monuments, and sidewalk restaurants) - very convenient, except for parking which is at modern underground pay garages that are blocks away (you drive to the entrance; drop your bags; then go park, and walk back). The reception staff was very nice and very helpful.

I read TripAdvisor and got a consistent message about breakfast in the hotel being quite limited (coffee and croissant for 10 euros); instead we had a nice breakfast on a beautiful morning around the corner and up the street on the Cours Mirabeau at the Hotel La Bastide du Cours, which has a restaurant that opens into one of the sidewalk cafes - for less than 10 euros, a nice basket of fresh-out-of-the-oven bread, croissant, and viennoiserie, large good coffee, and ham and eggs (thank you TripAdvisor!).

I wanted to love this hotel but rate it lower only for being ordinary (the rooms) and not having a superb breakfast offering or some other stand out feature. The parking situation was completely understandable in this historic setting but could be a problem for some people.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank fred200099
Ten Mile, TN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

We recently spent 6 nights in Aix at this hotel. Augustins is a very pleasant, well-situated hotel staffed with kindly, fluent English speakers. We had a very large room (king plus a day bed) and a large bath, which was perfect for an extended stay. Wifi reception was excellent, even in the room. Air conditioning was cold.

Although the hotel is just steps from Cour Mirabeau and the old town, it is still very quiet and peaceful. A simple continental breakfast is included (at least it was with our reservation). Parking is available at one of the city garages (we used Mignet, but Rotunde is also very close).

My only critique is that a safe was not provided with the room. The lobby is beautiful and has a nice sitting area, although we did not use it since our room was so large.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

Hotel des Augustin is one of the hotels you'll see advertised on street signs throughout Aix, so when partnered with it's VERY easy to find location directly off of Cours Mirabel, it's impossible to miss (important when you're a tired traveller).

This converted monastery offers a cool lobby experience and a VERY helpful, fluent English-speaking staff; I couldn't have asked for better. My room was tiny, however, and no more than average for bedding, decor, and amenities. It didn't have a window, which they told me before I rented it.

Stay here if you want to be directly in the heart and you need a staff that speaks English (and you don't mind paying for parking that you will have to walk a long ways to). Otherwise,...consider booking elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo