“Desperately Needs Renovation”

Hotel des Augustins
Ranked #26 of 69 Hotels in Aix-en-Provence
Reviewed July 27, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Hotel des Augustins for a night in July 2012. We rented two rooms, one for my husband and me and one for our son. The hotel is in an excellent location. I recommend that if you are driving, park in one of the nearby public garages and carry your luggage to the hotel rather than trying to drive through the very, very crowded downtown area and park in front of the hotel (blocking all traffic) to unload. There is no dedicated parking for the hotel, so you will have to go to a parking garage anyway.

The lobby of the hotel is nice; the rooms not so nice. The rooms, at least the two we had, desperately needed renovation. They are extremely run down and grungy. The bathroom could use a good scrubbing, the tile grout was dirty and I didn't want to touch anything in there. There was a positively ancient wall mounted hair dryer which was useless; luckily I had my own. There was no shower curtain or door on the tub, which made taking a shower without flooding the bathroom a challenge.

It was very inconvenient to have to leave the key at the desk every time we left the hotel; I have not stayed at a hotel which required you to do this in many years.

Thanks to warnings from fellow Tripadvisor members, we skipped the breakfast here and found a cheaper and very nice breakfast at a cafe in town.

I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

- excellent location
- good price

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2012

This hotel starts with great promise, with the reception area reminding patrons of its ancient provenance supposedly still within the walls of the 12th Century "Couvent des Grands Augustins". It's a great letdown once you ascend the staircase to enter ordinary (but very comfortable) rooms. Good A/C was a big plus (you get the A/C control issued when you get your room key). The hotel was just off the main scenic walkway through the core of the town (the Cours Mirabeau, with ancient fountains, other historic monuments, and sidewalk restaurants) - very convenient, except for parking which is at modern underground pay garages that are blocks away (you drive to the entrance; drop your bags; then go park, and walk back). The reception staff was very nice and very helpful.

I read TripAdvisor and got a consistent message about breakfast in the hotel being quite limited (coffee and croissant for 10 euros); instead we had a nice breakfast on a beautiful morning around the corner and up the street on the Cours Mirabeau at the Hotel La Bastide du Cours, which has a restaurant that opens into one of the sidewalk cafes - for less than 10 euros, a nice basket of fresh-out-of-the-oven bread, croissant, and viennoiserie, large good coffee, and ham and eggs (thank you TripAdvisor!).

I wanted to love this hotel but rate it lower only for being ordinary (the rooms) and not having a superb breakfast offering or some other stand out feature. The parking situation was completely understandable in this historic setting but could be a problem for some people.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank fred200099
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We recently spent 6 nights in Aix at this hotel. Augustins is a very pleasant, well-situated hotel staffed with kindly, fluent English speakers. We had a very large room (king plus a day bed) and a large bath, which was perfect for an extended stay. Wifi reception was excellent, even in the room. Air conditioning was cold.

Although the hotel is just steps from Cour Mirabeau and the old town, it is still very quiet and peaceful. A simple continental breakfast is included (at least it was with our reservation). Parking is available at one of the city garages (we used Mignet, but Rotunde is also very close).

My only critique is that a safe was not provided with the room. The lobby is beautiful and has a nice sitting area, although we did not use it since our room was so large.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Hotel des Augustin is one of the hotels you'll see advertised on street signs throughout Aix, so when partnered with it's VERY easy to find location directly off of Cours Mirabel, it's impossible to miss (important when you're a tired traveller).

This converted monastery offers a cool lobby experience and a VERY helpful, fluent English-speaking staff; I couldn't have asked for better. My room was tiny, however, and no more than average for bedding, decor, and amenities. It didn't have a window, which they told me before I rented it.

Stay here if you want to be directly in the heart and you need a staff that speaks English (and you don't mind paying for parking that you will have to walk a long ways to). Otherwise,...consider booking elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 5, 2012

First the pros -

* Great location just off Cours Mirabeau, but nice and quiet - a 10 minute walk from the bus station, which was important as we arrived after midnight as our flight was delayed.
* Friendly and helpful staff
* Aircon worked very well and cooled down our room very quickly
* Lovely reception area which showed off what the building had been in a former life

Then the cons -

* Room was distinctly average, with no indication once you were upstairs that you were in a former monastery/convent. However this is a 3 star so I suppose luxury is not expected.
* Pillows were lumpy, even the spare ones in the wardrobe.
* Breakfast is poor and definitely not worth €10 a head. The better option is to eat out at a local cafe for breakfast - there is plenty of choice nearby. Unfortunately I hadn't spotted on our booking confirmation that our room rate of €140 a night didn't include breakfast (which is the norm for the hotels we book) so we ended up paying €40 for poor breakfasts over two days before we realised, which was irritating to say the least. My own fault I know, but you can get a better breakfast for less money outside the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravellingIrishlass
Reviewed June 4, 2012

The room was ok. We booked one night and decided to stay two nights once we arrived. Hotel management first said they only had a more expensive room on the second night. We said "no thank you". Miraculously a room the same price became available for the second night.
The hotel is in a great location. No hotel parking. Don't think breakfast is included like we did! It appeared on our bill without any prior discussion for 25 euro each. No cheese, no yogurt....nothing but stale bread and coffee/juice. Disappointing.

• Stayed: May 2012