“A SUBLIME EXPERIENCE IN A LOVELY TOWN IN PROVENCE”
Review of Villa Gallici

Villa Gallici
Ranked #2 of 69 Hotels in Aix-en-Provence
Reviewed October 3, 2009

A memorable experience. The hotel is the perfect combination of friendly and sophisticated. A beautiful room with marble bath and a private terrace where breakfast can be served. Dinner and lunch are served on a lovely terrace overlooking the town. The food is excellent and the chef was kind enough to provide me with the recipe for the wonderful fresh pea soup! Beautiful pool.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 20, 2009

My family stayed at Villa Gallici for 2 nights of our 2 week stay in France. I can only say that I wish we could have stayed at this hotel longer. The hotel is hidden away in a quiet neighborhood walking distance from the heart of Aix. Every area of the hotel was beautiful and well-maintained. The restaurant had amazing food that even my teenagers enjoyed and the staff was friendly and efficient. The only negative was that the pool was really cold. Oh well.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank tuktuktravel
Reviewed July 9, 2009

This is a beautiful hotel in a wonderful location. The rooms are lovely and immaculate. However our experience was completely ruined by the total indifference of the restaurant staff. At lunch it took 30minutes to even get a menu let alone a drink despite their being very few guests. It took more than an hour to be served with our 30 euro hamburgers. We had to find and serve our own wine. The service at dinner the previous night was completely hopeless. When we weren't pouring it ourselves, the waitress poured most of the wine over the tablecloth. The food took forever to arrive and was very average. The cheese course was a joke either big lumps of parmesan or a lump of very ordinary goat cheese, Not once did anyone apologise or explain what was going on.. We did try to get drinks by the pool but that never happened. We had to leave the hotel to get breakfast, for fear that we would never get any in the hotel.The pool attendant was rude and surly and kept turning on unpleasant music that none of the clients wanted to listen to. This is such a beautiful hotel but the management really need to get a grip on their staff situation and also listen to and act on the comments of their customers. This was supposed to be a special treat for our family but it became a very expensive and annoying experience.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
9  Thank bizley
Reviewed November 17, 2008

We are just back from a romantic getaway at Villa Gallici. I always wanted to stay there, since its opening in 1992 when there were glowing reviews in all magazines about the style, the design, the atmosphere.
Reservation was made over the phone about 2 months ahead of our stay, and it included a Relais&Chateaux gift voucher for one night, the other night being charged. It was easy, and they even granted us a free upgrade to the next category.
We arrived for Marseilles airport after a terrible drive, with unexpected nightmarish congestions, and cranky. The receptionnist attendant was extremely graceful, and somehow managed to get me in a better mood. We were upgraded again to yet a better category.
Location is an easy walk out of the historic center, which I fing great expecting the driving is bad, the center is very busy, and in summer it might get oppressive. The grounds are beautiful. The design is stunning, if unexpected in Provence. I would qualify it as country Rothschild. It is extremely pretty and thought well into details : eveywhere you look, it says MONEY ! Our room (#5) was on the ground floor, and beautiful, with lit candle when we stepped in the room. As often in Europe, the alleged King was actually 2 beds pulled together. Boring. Bathroom was nice, although they obviously favoured style over convenience ; it is not inconvenient per se, but convenience has evolved since the opening in 1992. Pristine conditions, though.
We had dinner one night there. Food is quite simple, with great ingredients, and a good preparation. The food experience is not stellar, but set in a stunning decor, it makes for a great evening. Prices are decent, although a glass of basic champagne (Drappier) sets you back 23 Euros ! Come on, guys, this is a true rip-off, may be the only one. For that kind of money, you have a glass of Dom Perignon at the Ritz (you truly have).
Breakfast is glassic continental, with tasty fresh pastries, freshly squeezed juices. They are delivered to your room in less than 10 minutes, amazingly quickly, and there is no time limit to it. You want breakfast at 1.00 pm, you got it.
Service here is one of the best I have encountered in France. Smiling, caring. Nothing is too much bother. Recommendations for restaurant or shops, directions. Room service, bellman. Incredible in France. And they do not seem to be chasing tips. I wanted to smoke my cigar after dinner, and they provided us with blankets to sit outside, as it was about 5° Celsius outside. On checking out, not only my luggage was put in the trunk, but my car was pulled in front, with even 2 bottles of Evian (something I have only seen at Four Seasons properties in the US, and at the Bel Air in LA.
I am only sorry it was november, and we could not use the swimming pool, neither eat outside.
Would I come back. Any minute ! Only I am not sure if I would enjoy it as much in summer : the beautiful decor might turn a little stuffy in the summer heat.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank PASCAL H
Reviewed October 31, 2008

The good first - beautifully appointed hotel with fabulous decor, gardens, pool, good restaurant service, great reception and booking in. Invitiation to upgrade room. Complementary tea in the afternoon which was very nice.
Not so good points - to book our accommodation it took at least 3 emails and 3 International phone calls. Emails were not responded to on the same or subsequant day prompting phone calls and as we had less than a week to book hotels in blocks of 3 night stays for a 2 week trip to France - time was crucial. When I phoned to see if an email had been received (after yet another frustrating wait) I was told it had been received but they were busy! I subsequently changed my booking from 3 nights to 2 thinking that if they couldn't be bothered to respond to reservation queries, what was the hotel going to be like! I would have cancelled completely because of this attitude had I had enough time to find another hotel of the same category in the same area.
Dinner - extremely expensive and limited choice of 2 main course meat dishes - beef and duck. So the first night -beef and the second night duck - another reason that I was glad we were not there for 3 nights.
De-luxe room booked - quite dark, adequate but not spacious. Also we expected a slightly larger bed. Offered an up-grade but didn't take this up as we didnt want a duplex, preferring a bathroom with a walk in shower on the same level as the room.
Bill for two nights , 4 dinners, 1 bottle of Rose and no breakfasts £1063 .16 with one night's room rate deposit of 450Euros being charged to our card 10 days before our stay.
Nevertheless we enjoyed the overall experience of staying in beautifully decorated and sumptous surroundings in Aix en Provence and had a wonderful day exploring this fascinating town.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Savoy2000
Reviewed October 20, 2008

My wife and I have travelled extensively with relais & chateux and had great expectations of this property. The price was quite high, but we thought it would probably be worth it. It turned out to be the worst relais & chateux place we've ever stayed. Our room was extremely dark with almost no natural light and very dim electrical lighting. In addition the room smelled very musty and old. The carpet in the room was stained as was the marble in the bathroom. It also had no shower. Our supposedly "garden view" room had an extremely small (1 meter by 2 meter) gravel area with a hedge blocking any view of anything. When we asked if we could have another room that wasn't so poorly appointed, we were told there was one available for one night, but not the other two nights of our stay. We asked for a manager and were told one would not be available until the following day. He was not available by 10:30am the following day..Our experience was so poor that we checked out the next morning. No one ever called us to inquire why we checked out early, but we were still charged for a night that we didn't stay, even though they weren't full. A couple of days later I called to speak with someone about not being charged for the night we hadn't stayed and was told that we would be charged as that was part of the cancellation policy. I informed them that we didn't cancel, but that the accomadations and service were totally unacceptable. I would have thought in a service industry like this there would be a desire to be gracious to the customer, but no such response. So we were charge over 500euros for a room we didn't stay in. Our travel agent also complained to the Villa Gallici and to Relais & Chateux - to no avail. It's not the money I'm disappointed in so much as the disinterest and poor service at a place that should be at the highest level of customer service and satisfaction. Don't make the same mistake we did.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
8  Thank BobAndi
Reviewed October 10, 2008

My husband and I just stayed at this lovely property in early October, 2008. What a wonderful experience! This is a little peaceful oasis close enough for a brisk walk into Aix, but far enough from the town center to be quiet and secluded. If your intention for staying there is just to see Aix, you do not really even need a car, as driving around Aix's center is a nightmare anyway -- and walking or taking little easy to catch buses are good options.

The service at Villa Gallici is really fantastic and the staff goes out of its way to make you feel welcome and special -- special touches all over the hotel and in your room (at turn down for instance). The restaurant is like a cozy living room -- so much so that I did not recognize it as a restaurant when we first got there! Breakfast is a bit pricey (they all seem to be at the better hotels in France), but is delicious and again is served in the cozy living room atmosphere (at least in the fall -- when the terrace is not in use as the restaurant generally). We ate one dinner there that I would call very good, but not great. The menu is somewhat limited each night, so that may have been a function of the night we chose, as others have told us they loved the dinners there.

I ordered some champagne by the pool one late afternoon, and they brought it with a most beautiful set up, along with some of the most perfect strawberries I have eaten and fresh flowers on the tray. We did the tracks of Cezanne package for two of our nights there -- it is a good deal financially and the half day tour was very enjoyable. Also, internet service is free and readily accessible through a laptop in one of the sitting rooms.

My only real caveat is: to be sure you specify what bathroom arrangements you want. Our room had only a bathtub and handheld shower -- which was a surprise and took some getting used to. And to check out some other recommended restaurants in and around Aix for dinner.

Overall, I would highly recommend this property. Also, if you want to use Aix as a jumping off point for visits to other little towns in Provence as well (or even Marseilles), it seems that parking at Villa Gallici and getting in and out of the area from there is not to difficult as well. As for Aix -- once you get the lay of the land, it is easy to get around, but my husband and I spent a lot of time walking around lost our first night there looking for a restaurant recommended by the hotel with the little map provided --- it was very tricky at first, especially at night! Be aware also that the TGV station provides good access to Paris and Avignon for instance, but is a good 20 - 30 minute cab ride from the center of town. (Whereas it is much closer to the center of Avignon for instance.)

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)