“A very good boutique hotel”

Boutique Hotel Cezanne
Ranked #7 of 69 Hotels in Aix-en-Provence
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We got a special price of €100 per "single deluxe" room at the Hotel Cezanne through venere.com, and it was worth every penny. The room was a good size, with an undraped modern four-poster bed, proper double glazing, very stylish decor, up-to-the-minute bathroopm fittings, including a "waterfall" tap on the washbasin and rainfall shower. Our only reservation was that the breakfast seemed expensive at €20, so we skipped that and had orange juice, coffee and croissants in one of the bars facing the SNCF station nearby.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,140)

Reviewed February 17, 2012

My husband and I traveled to Aix en Provence with my mother and we stayed at Hotel Cezanne for 2 nights. Honestly, I don’t think the hotel deserves it’s supposedly 4 star level. The rooms were small, simple, and kinda old, and so were the bathrooms, so room wise it’s at best 3 star. Wifi worked great, and there were free parking on the hotel private lot closeby.

Now, the customer service sucked big time. Some of the hotel’s pipes/plumbing burst out/broke the first day we were there. When I tried to have a shower at night around 10 pm, the water was coming out of the shower in small drips and eventhough I turned the dial all the way to hot the water was lukewarm at best! I waited for the pressure to go up but it was still dripping after 10 minutes. It was early February, during an unexpected cold snap in the whole Europe. I was so cold my teeth were chattering like mad! My husband went to my mother’s room a couple doors down the hall on the same floor, to check if the shower in her room worked OK, and it did. So I sent my husband to the reception to see if they can fix it right away. The hotel receptionist said that there were problems with the water pipes, so some of the showers may be affected. She said nothing they can do until they were done fixing the pipes, perhaps the day after. I asked my husband to ask them if we can switch room, since the shower in my mother’s room works. Considering Hotel Cezanne’s 4 star rating, I never expected refusal to switch our room due to non working shower, especially since it’s extremely low season in France and there were many empty rooms at that moment. The receptionist flat out refused to move us to a new room with a working shower. She said that the hotel was expected several guests the next day and she wouldn’t want to move around the room assignments. What the heck!!! There I was feeling so cold, teeth chattering, in the bathroom shower with water drips trickling down on me, and the receptionist refused to move us to a new room? I can’t believe she expected us to stay 3 days/2 nights in a ~Euro 240 room per night without us being able to take a shower. This was extremely unprofessional attitude! I think Hotel Cezanne should change their star rating to 2 star at best and drop their prices significantly, if this is the kind of customer service they give to their guests. A hotel is in the service industry, and as such good customer service is the most important thing a hotel should always strive to achieve, besides room and amenities quality. If they can’t even give their customers a working shower with their room, then you should call yourself a hotel, albeit a 4 star hotel.

Truly horrible customer service, not worth the expensive price we paid for an average room at Hotel Cezanne! Avoid this hotel at all costs!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank lovepeaceandjoy
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Stayed 5 nites as a base to explore Provence. Hotel is in a great location close to shopping and old quarter. Rooms were nice size and well appointed; very clean The staff were absolutely fantastic. Everyone was extremely helpful at the desk with all our questions and the breakfast was fantastic. Very beautifully prepared and served. Our son celebrated his birthday during our visit and the chef made him a special breakfast--needless to say he was quite pleased. Do reserve if you need parking; great garage a few steps from front door. Highly recommend. We plan to return!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We only stayed one night as were passing through from Barcelona to Italy, the hotel is very well located with a short walk to the main shopping area; the free underground protected parking is a big plus. The satff on arrival could not have been more helpful, instructions to the car park etc; there was myself, my wife and our 11 year old son staying in a very adequate room, would have been a little small for a few nights but more than good for a single night. Next morning breakfast was lovely, a good choice of hot and cold foods and again very polite, friendly and helpful staff. All in all can recommend.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank PhilVon
Reviewed January 23, 2012

My husband and I took a trip around the world last year. France was one of the stops. This hotel is so quaint and cute. Service was great. Super clean, large rooms with a balcony. It felt very "French". It's not a huge hotel so don't expect things like maid service. They served a really great breakfast in the morning. A great pick for us given we were only stopping by Aix en Provence for about 4-5 days.

Great location by the way!

Room Tip: ask for one w/ a balcony!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bleubeach
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Choose the hotel for location and free parking (which was located in a secure garage 1 min to hotel - excellent), what surprised us was how extremely helpful the staff were. Every question given a polite and informative answer, every request responded to with a no fuss manner. Room was a good size, quiet and modern. Enjoy the hotel and the excellent restaurants and gourmet food stores in Aix-En-Provence.

Room Tip: Request a room away from coffee machine on each floor, this would be a noisy area in the morning.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Rooms and services are all excellent in this mildly original hotel. Good points are the location (just outside of the busy centre - 2 minutes walk), the decor (colourfull), the breakfast (cooked eggs benedict). Perfect as a stop off in a driving holiday.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple