“REAL GOOD ONE ON POOR AIX!”

L'Epicurien Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 914 Restaurants in Aix-en-Provence
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: This place is a hidden gem. The owner is the chef and he only uses fresh produce and he is extremly talented. We just spent 8 nights in Aix and after eating at a couple of restaurants none of them came close to this place. They friendly and the food is just amazing. This restaurant should be on trip advisor without a doubt. His food melts in your mouth and the flavors are out of this world.The owners are Ludovic & Laura Aillaud
Reviewed August 9, 2013

A little tiny restaurant with nice terrace on the nice days... Excellent local products, as we like and need them. Young service Ok; nice and simple regional and Bourgogne wine list. Menu on "the ardoise" in touch with the season. The chef is caring and attentive to all details. Maybe the best place in town? Trust and freshness is a key.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I went to L'epicurien after reading some good reviews. They were spot on. Excellent place, even though from the outside you wouldn't know it. I went for lunch, alone. Had the special for the day. 3 courses at 28 Euros.
They first brought some 'free' hard-to-identify pasta with thin toast. Very good. The starter was a past of sardines with some vegetables. Excellent, nothing less. The main was chicken with lentils. Not very exciting, it would seem, but it was very well cooked, making it really worthwhile. For dessert, a "gazpacho" of 'exotic' fruits. Delicious.
To drink, I wanted just a glass of their house red wine. Ended up having 2 glasses, because it was so good. It was a provence wine from grenache and syrah, fruity and very delicate. At 5 euro a glass, it was a bargain.
On top of everything, the service was excellent. Very gentle waiters, accommodating every request. The final touch was when paying the bill. I noticed they charged only 1 glass of wine. I mentioned it to the younger waiter, who thanked me for pointing out. He went to talk with the other waiter, who was possibly also the manager. After a quick chat in French, he came back to me and said the second glass was free for me. I already had a 5 star rating in my head by that moment, but often I don't bother to write it and make it public. Small gestures like that are what ensure that I 'have' to write a review.
Highly recommended.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We were recommended this restaurant by a local and also checked it out on Trip Advisor so were anticipating a great meal. Disappointed is an understatement! On arrival the service was slow, perhaps the high wind and the fact that they had to move customers indoors had thrown their evenings plans into disarray. Two of the lamb main courses were frankly inedible, tough and tasteless. The duck was slightly better, at least edible but dry and very ordinary. When we complained about the lamb, fish was offered. Again, edible but quite unremarkable. Whether this was an off night and we were just unlucky we will never know but on our experience we could not recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank Chris N
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We were recommended this restaurant by a local tour operator, the service was fair, but the food was lacking, we were very disappointed with the food, even when we said the meat was poor, there was no apology.

1  Thank Joan707
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Located in a large open square full of restaurants, we fortunately landed here on the good advice of the hosts of our B&B ( who agreed with Trip Advisor). We ate outside in beautiful weather and loved it. All of our dishes were perfectly prepared. Service was professional. It's everything one could want in a restaurant and was one of our two best meals in Aix. Highly recommended.