“What a horrible experience!”

Auberge de Jeunesse
Auberge de Jeunesse
Lyon, France
“What a horrible experience!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I couldn't wait to leave! The staff were not very helpful and I actually witnessed one of kitchen staff threatening to smack one of the other staff with a plate! The meals were disgusting and the cleanliness of the bathrooms was very poor. Asking the staff for help was an effort in itself as they just didn't want to help. Furthermore, getting into the hostel after midnight is impossible as it shuts at midnight, so going on a night out is not an option. I was trying to talk one of the kitchen staff who was serving dinner and I was told very by another very rude member of staff who cut accross the conversation to immediately stop talking to him as he work to do. In addition, the rooms were disgusting. In my room, the roof was collapsing and I didn't feel safe when going to bed due to the internal infastructure. One of the staff told me the room had been like that for 5 years, and still nothing had been done about it! The place is clearly under bad management. Moreover, the staff were extremely rude to me at breakfast, just because I used more than one glass. The atmosphere was poor and I could tell that regulars and other staff were not happy.

All in all, I would not recommend this hostel to anyone. I definetly won't be going back!

Room Tip: Unless you are used to city life and you actually choose to stay there, try and get a room on the ba...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank croissant20

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed at Auberge de Jeunesse for 2 nights, and really liked it. I stayed in a 4-persons room, and it was very clean and comfortable, with good views from the balcony to the courtyard and surrounding countryside. I liked the greenery and spaciousness of the hostel grounds, and the adjoining Vasarely Foundation is an interesting place to visit. The hostel is out of the city centre, but if you catch the bus, it only takes 5-10 mins. Walking takes about 15-20mins, and is doable too. I didn't face any problems, but it would be good if the hostel can add locker facilities in the rooms, so that travellers can have greater ease of mind in locking up their valuables.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank bambooflower
Petaluma, California
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Overall we had a very good experience here, the room was comfortable and the atmosphere was pleasant and fun for young people. However it was difficult to reach, a ten minute bus ride on Margueride #8 from the SNCF station, but a taxi ride from Mirabeau was only 8 euro. The shower smelled a bit strange, but it wasn't bothersome. All in all an enjoyable stay.a big deal

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Although I did not have a hard time finding the place (the bus from the city center stops right in front of it actually), but it's still quite a distance from the city center where most attractions are as well as the bus terminal where you can take day trips to nearby areas.

The accommodation was only alright. During my stay there was a large group of middle school kids staying on either side of my room and they were really noisy. The bathrooms were not dirty, but they were not exactly clean, either, in fact they looked a little run-down.

I would recommend this hostel to budget travelers, but for those who can afford to spend a little more, do consider a place in the city center.

Also, if you are staying there, take note of the operating time of their check-in counter. If I remember correctly, check-in can only be done at 4PM or something like that.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. We booked a 'double room' which was in fact bunk beds, but that doesn't really matter. We were staying in Aix-En-Provence at a busy and expensive time of year, so we were grateful to get accommodation!

The girl at the front desk was not particularly helpful or friendly, and certainly didn't offer any advice about what was good to see in the local area.

Breakfast is at very strict times, and very basic fare (but, again, it's a hostel...), we were a little frustrated that you couldn't access your room at all from 10:30 until 16:30, and that reception itself was closed from 12-4pm each day. The bus to/from the city centre was, however, very good, and ran frequently until 7pm each night.

Probably the most frustrating part was there was a lack of facilities, no washing machines, no fridge for groceries etc. We were, however, really pleased that the bar decided to show the opening ceremony of the Olympics on a projector!

So - fine for a short stay, reminded us of school camp in terms of facilities and atmosphere. It's an expensive area to stay, and given that we ended up paying 26euro pp/night, I'm sure you could do worse, but I'm sure that if it wasn't the middle of peak season, I'm sure you could do better!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank touringsister
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed August 17, 2011

The hostel is in a quiet residential area a bus ride out of Aix. We found the staff helpful and friendly and general atmosphere very pleasant and relaxed. As the weather was so good we were able to picnic outside on the patio area, although we did not find any members kitchen during our stay. The room was basic as we expected, but private and clean. We recommend buying a coffee and something to eat in town as the inclusive breakfast is pretty aweful, but other than that a good place to stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank VisitortoYork
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I stayed at l'Auberge Jas de bouffan in Aix-en-Provence for four nights and I did not regret it at all! It is located outside the city (4 km from the center) but easily accessible by bus (bus number 4) and it only costs 1 euro/trip. My room had four beds, a shower area and a toilet. The only down side is that there was only one electrical plug so bring batteries! The provided breakfast consists of cereal (with warm milk...), fruit (mainly apricots), coffee, juice or hot chocolat and bread. It wasn't bad considering the price! The only thing I could complain about would be the beds. They are horrible. Anyways, mine was so bring a mattress if you can!

Room Tip: I had room 22 and since it was on the corner, it had 2 windows wich helped a lot considering the hea...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo