“Excellent stay in Aix en Provence”
Review of La Maison d'Aix

La Maison d'Aix
Ranked #1 of 69 Hotels in Aix-en-Provence
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed two nights in October 2012 and had a wonderful time in this B&B. The good points are, 1) Convenient location (only a few minuites walk from the city centre of Aix en Provence)
2) Excellent staff (Alex supported everything, Her recommendation of restaurants were supurb!)
3) Tidy and clean room (my wife is very sensitive about this, but she looked satisfied. Especially the bed was very comfortable) 4) Delicious continental style breakfast The only missing item was telephone and lifts, but it's not a problem. We really enjoyed staying in La Maison d'Aix and hope to come back again soon !

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Akihiko A

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Staying at La Maison d'Aix was a singular experience. Our room on the top floor, the Love Suite, felt like a movie set. French doors opened out onto a terrace with a small cafe table and chairs. The gorgeous view encompassed ochre brick and red tile-roofed buildings surrounding a courtyard of tall trees and distant hilltops beyond. The spacious room holds a comfortable seating area and bedroom, with a large bathroom around a corner. We loved the rainfall shower head but did have any use for the bathtub. It was completely quiet at the back, but noisy people in the street below could sometimes be heard during the night. Keeping the garret type windows closed took care of that. The entire house is beautifully designed. Although there were other guests during our five-night stay, we only encountered one pleasant couple at breakfast, which by the way is delicious. Rein and Alexandrine were particularly helpful in making reservations and giving other advice. The hotel is not difficult to find using GPS but the sign is so small we weren't sure we were in the right place! There is a parking garage a short walk away. However, a remote control is needed to get into the garage and we were told one of the devices had disappeared with a previous guest, so now there is only a single remote. We were asked to return it immediately after getting our car, which entailed one of us running back to the hotel to drop it off while the other tried to find somewhere on the busy streets to park the car and wait. This is a terribly inconvenient situation and should be remedied. Fortunately we didn't need our car every day. The hotel is very well located, only a few blocks from the beautiful sycamore-lined Cours Mirabeau. On our last visit we stayed at Villa Gallici and it felt remote. Overall we loved every minute staying at La Maison d'Aix.

Room Tip: Rooms facing courtyard would be quieter. Love Suite is an entire floor and well worth the extra expe...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank NJSCME
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Aix en Provence was always the dream destination for my wife, so as part of our 3 week tour through Europe for her birthday, I booked us into La maison D'Aix for three days. From the moment we arrived the experience was wonderful. The staff were tremendous, the architecture and furniture was amazing, and the breakfast was splendid. We especially enoyed that there was not set time for breakfast....you could be up early or sleep in a little.....

I can't say enough about the pleasant staff and how helpful they were. The home itself is spectacular inside, an interesting blend of modern design with old world architecture. It is very easy to tell that Laura the owner really enjoyed refinishing this splendid home. The basement is like a little hidden grotto with a whirlpool tub, steam room and quiet sitting area. The lighting is soft and a very nice place to sit and relax with a bottle of Champagne and that special someone......

I can't imagine a better place to stay in Aix (as the locals call it), and I would highly recommend La Maison D'Aix to anyone who plans to make Provence part of their touring plans. My only regret was that we could not stay longer.

Denis & Ingrid
Ottawa, Canada

Room Tip: There are four room and we had the upper floor room which was amazing, I would highly recommend it...
3  Thank Ingrid1717
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Good service, great breakfast and staff. Can't be faulted. However, I payed an embarrassing amount of money for this, maybe the second or third largest amount I've ever spent on a single night at a hotel. Twice as much as I payed for any other place during our Euro-Trip and we went all out on this one with 5-star choices along the way.

Before I arrived at La Maison, I just looked at their website to see if there were any rooms left and there were - higher-category rooms for a reduced rate that I had paid and my room category.

Unable to get out of my original reservation (directly with the hotel), I guess I hoped that because I paid more, and there was availability, we'd be given a really nice room. Because the Tripadvisor reviews were so unbelievably high (this is the best-rated place in pretty much all of Southern France), I asked for a room with a bathtub but told they were not available (not according to their website but whatever).

Upon entering the place, the staff were indeed fantastic and the design was really inspirational and cool. This is exactly the design I want from a hotel: comfortable but edgy and showing me something new and interesting in art and design.

But the disappointment started when they showed us our room. Wow. It was small. The shower and sink that were in the same room as the bed, about ten steps away from the bed. There was no place really to sit besides the bed or a small desk chair. The huge bathtub that everyone was talking about on their tripadvisor reviews was non-existent in my room. Just a nice-ish shower and a sink. A vase on the floor with chrysanthemums. It wasn't bad but I couldn't get the price out of my mind.

At that point my enjoyment of the facilities kind of diminished a little bit. Spent a few hours in the spa which was nice although the water temperature of the pool was too cold to enjoy for a long time. The breakfasts were indeed awesome. The restaurant recommendations were fine.

All in all this place was fine but the price still stings and it did not wow me like some other hotels. I would like to think I'm the type of person who can throw money around casually and whimsically but this ordeal sort of dampened my spirits. I use Tripadvisor as my bible for travel and I am glad that most people had a much better experience than I did.

I will say I absolutely fell in love with Aix. What a dream of a city. I'll be back but not to the hotel.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank a.p.1017
maisondaix, Gérant at La Maison d'Aix, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Dear Sir,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing to stay ay La Maison d’Aix and taking your time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor.

We are pleased to read that you have had high expectations of La Maison d’Aix Hotel & SPA and regret to hear that you could think our boutique hotel is overpriced despite that you mentioned in your review “… staff were indeed fantastic and the design was really inspirational and cool. This is exactly the design I want from a hotel: comfortable but edgy and showing you something new and interesting in art and design…”

We are proud of the level of luxury and service we aim to offer our guests at our Hotel Particulier La Maison d'Aix, and we are glad you enjoyed it too.

La Maison d’Aix is situated in the historical district of Aix en Provence, the Quartier Mazarin. The Quartier Mazarin is the richest and most exclusive quarter of what is a considerably wealthy town. Our Boutique Hotel is a 300 years old mansion entirely renovated with genuine materials, with latest technologies, and rebuilt by best craftsmen, les “Compagnons de France”, back to what the House used to be in its architecture around year 1850.
Our Boutique Hotel is 3 rooms and one Suite, dedicated to exclusive traveler’s expectations, both in privacy and luxury. We offer our guests, large public spaces, including an entire SPA area, open 24 hours.

It is difficult to expect to have such an amazing and exclusive experience for the budget of a tourist hotel in town.

We realized that we may have, in a way, deceived your budget and would like to ensure you that your valuable feedback will strongly contribute to inform other travelers about what they can expect from our House.

We also proud to announce you that NEW YORK TIMES, on OCT 13th., shows a prominent article about La Maison d’Aix http://travel.nytimes.com/2012/10/14/travel/hotel-rooms-with-charm-off-the-radar.html

Please, be sure that we will always do our best to make your next stay with us more enjoyable if your decide to change your mind during your next stay in Aix en Provence.
­­

Sincerely yours,

Laura Juhen
Hotel Manager

Reviewed October 1, 2012

From the moment we sent an email to book our room, we knew that this was a special hotel.
We went to Aix en Provence after 4 days in Paris at the Royal Monceau. La Maison d'Aix makes no pretence of being a five star hotel, it has 4 suites and it is completely different. Provence is absolutely different from Paris and should not be experienced the same way. And La Maison d'Aix is the best way ever to experience it !
It lived up to the reviews. Fresh squizzed porange juice as a welcome drink and callisons on arrival. Complimentary tea, juices, coffee served in a beautiful lounge area. It really feels like a home away from home.
Beautiful rooms, amazing personalized service, particularly from Alexandrine and Laura. The attention to detail is amazing including detail such as the flowers that are regularly changed. Restaurant recommendations and booking were perfectly provided. Location is just perfect at a walking distance to all restaurants, museums...

We really had one of the best vacations imaginable. What makes La Maison d'Aix so special is not only the design but the people. We will definitely be back.

1  Thank ted a
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was warmly welcomed by Alexandrine, who helped me get my luggage to my Amazing room.
She was there @ any time i needed something and always with a gorgeous smile .
Breakfast was simply delicious!! I still dream of the unique taste of all the #jams served.
Being a designer and an Interior Architect myself, i have a close eye on the details of the interiors and the beauty of the spaces which describes perfectly well 'La Maison d'Aix'.
At la" Maison d'Aix ' you simply feel @ home , a Luxurious, Relaxing , Charming and Beautiful one!!

Karina

Room Tip: My room , on the 1st floor, was quite , big, and sunny! you can even hear the birds... (no bathtub...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 11, 2012

It is unfortunate that I have to write such a poor review of this hotel. I wrote an email to the hotel directly about some of these concerns and waited over a week with no response. Our main disappointment came on our last night at this hotel. The hotel offered to make a restaurant reservation for us and confirmed that a table had been reserved. When we arrived the restaurant was closed for its annual holiday. We telephoned the hotel's 24 hour telephone number hoping a recommendation for another restaurant could be made. There was no answer, so we left a message. The hotel never responded to our message. This is a major concern, not for our spoiled dinner-that is relatively minor, but because this is supposed to be the 24 hour contact for all inquiries and emergencies. Staff are generally only at the hotel in the morning and early evening, so if there is an emergency this telephone number is the only way to contact anyone. Thankfully we did not have any emergencies, but I am not confident that if we did hotel staff would be available.
Parking was also a disappointment. Guests should know that the 20 euro/day parking is located about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. Not ideal, but manageable. Unacceptable however, was that the hotel only has one remote for the parking garage. This means that anytime we wanted our car we had to come back to the hotel to drop off the remote and upon returning had to first come back to the hotel to pick up the remote. This again is not a huge deal, except that the hotel is located on a one-way street, meaning that to drop off and pick up the remote one has to do a large loop around the narrow streets surrounding the hotel. Again not a huge deal, but when you are on vacation paying over 380 euros/night this is not the type of service you expect.
One evening I decided to use the steam room in the spa located in the basement. While I was in the steam room staff turned off all the lights in the basement leaving me in the pitch dark to try to find my way back to the stairs. Again not the level of service expected.
It is unfortunate that this hotel did not live up to the reviews we had read on tripadvisor.

13  Thank CanadianAbroad73
maisondaix, Manager at La Maison d'Aix, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Dear Mr and Mrs W.

We are pleased to read that you have had high expectations of La Maison d’Aix Hotel & SPA and regret to hear that you had a bad experience on your last day with us during your five days stay.

This is absolutely not the experience we aim to provide our guests and I am truly sorry that you were disappointed.

La Maison d’Aix is situated in the historical district of Aix en Provence, the Quartier Mazarin. The Quartier Mazarin is the richest and most exclusive quarter of what is a considerably wealthy town. Created in the late 1600s by the Cardinal Marazin, the district features some of Aix's most attractive architectural buildings.
Some of the most distinguised buildings in Quartier Mazarin include the numerous private hotels in the area, most of which were constructed by politicians back in the day. La Maison d’Aix is located at 2 minutes walk far from the Cours Mirabeau which is the main street of Aix en Provence.
Our private parking is only 3 minutes walk far from La Maison d’Aix located on Anatole France Street crossing Jules Ferry Street.

We do provide the best restaurant adresses however, kindly understand that all restaurants and bars we advise our guests are maybe­­­ the best in town, but unfortunately, La Maison d’Aix cannot be held as responsible, if you’ve had a bad experience with any of them. They are all independent merchants.

I do hope that you will choose La Maison d’Aix on your next visit, as well. Please do contact me directly and I will personally oversee your stay.

Laure JUHEN