“Upscale Food, Modest Proportions”
Review of Le Millefeuille

Le Millefeuille
Ranked #44 of 884 Restaurants in Aix-en-Provence
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 20, 2013

If you are able to find this restaurant, you will have a lovely dinner. Though the wait staff is extremely friendly and helpful and they move about the small dining room (13 tables) like rabbits, service here 'is certainly not hurried.' Perhaps it's a new restaurant and the drill is not quite down yet. But really, we are on vacation and time is mostly irrelevant, so what do we care. Our waiter could not have been more polite and attentive, but apologies were his most common communications to us.

Le Mille Feuille (also Le Millefeuille) prides itself on using the freshest ingredients and preparing every dish it serves in its own kitchen. And that is all obvious in the taste of every one of the six different food items my wife and I ordered. Wonderful ingredients, great flavor, excellent preparation, and attractive presentation were seen in every dish--from our fois gras and cassoulet starters to our steak and fish/risotto/eggplant mains to our millefeuille and peach cobbler desserts. But for each course, petiteness reigned supreme. When I pay € 43 per meal, I don't expect a 6 oz piece of fish on 1/3 cup of puréed eggplant and 1/2 cup of risotto. We've been in France a month, and this is our fifth visit to this country, so we are modestly familiar with both French meals and portion. Even a slender Frenchman would find these portions 'modest,' and as a tres grand American, I found them just plain skimpy--and that is the first time I have thought this in all my visits to France. So, if you go here for what is an excellent dinner, have a snack before.

But it is a grand place to eat well prepared food with meticulous attention to ingredients.

1  Thank MichaelBuffalo

Reviewed July 21, 2013

My friend and I dined here at the recommendation of the woman's apartment we were staying in through Air BnB in Aix. It turned out to be a fantastic recommendation. We each ordered the 41 euro prix fixe menu. My friend had the foie gras and cherry starter, a main course with beef, and the apricot dessert. I had the mozzarella starter, fish main and cherry dessert. My impression is that the food is very seasonal and fresh. The only complaint is that the service was sometimes a bit slow so my friend and I stayed for about 3 hours. However, it was well worth it!

Reviewed July 6, 2013

It was our first day and first dinner at Aix and we were not disappointed. The menu was limited and only because they serve what is fresh on the market. Expect to be impressed by the quality of the food and perfectly sized portions. Our family sampled the fish, lamb, scallops with foie gras and everything was cooked to perfection. We relented on dessert and had the specialty of the house, Mille Feuille, of course. It was a melt-in-your mouth confection --- a wonderful ending to an outstanding meal.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I browsed through the recommended restaurants in aix and decided on this one because of the photos of the desserts. The chef and the staff were all attentive and welcoming, not condescending to my bad french (unlike many other places haha) at all. I ordered the entrée+plat+dessert menu and it cost 41euros. I picked duck foie gras for entrée and a sea bass for main course, and a fondant au chocolat for dessert. Before the entrée I was given a complimentary cold soup, it was creamy and nice but nothing spectacular. My entrée was great, but honestly you can't really go wrong with foie gras, and there's not much the chef has to do to, except adding condiments, in this case, apricot and nuts, both of which did not particularly complement the foie gras. But it was a nicely seared foie gras, so I'm not complaining. Then came the main course, a sea bass and "riz noir" with asparagus and carrots. I didn't know what "riz noir" was and I was thinking something along the lines of squid ink risotto, but as it turned out it was more like the sticky purple rice you eat with mangos for the traditional Thai dessert. The creamy sauce was nice, but the sea bass felt a little over cooked, and it just felt slightly tough. So being a little disappointed with the main course, I put all my hope and expectations on dessert - the restaurant is called Mille Feuille, after all. I struggled between choosing mille feuille or the fondant au chocolat, but because I've always loved fondants and this also came with caramel ice cream, I couldn't say no. When the dessert arrived, however, I was crestfallen to find that the 'fondant' was not what we call the molten chocolate cake that I'd expected, but more like a truffle cake, that had nothing 'fondue' (melted) about it...the caramel ice cream was really good though.
All in all I was slightly disappointed, because I'm just a student and am on a low budget on my traveling, and I decided to splurge once on a nice French restaurant but it has fallen below my expectations...
As I wrote in the title, it is good, definitely, but not mind-blowing.

1  Thank joeichan
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We were directed to this stylish restaurant by our hotel and we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and its presentation. A great meal served by a very attentive lady, nice wines and beautiful dessert. A truly lovely evening.