L'Hotel Particulier 28 a Aix
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
La Maison d'Aix(Aix-en-Provence)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel des Quatre Dauphins(Aix-en-Provence)
  • Pool
Hotel Cardinal(Aix-en-Provence)
View Hotel
Negrecoste Hotel & Spa(Aix-en-Provence)
  • Spa
Hotel de Gantes(Aix-en-Provence)
  • Room Service
Hotel La Caravelle(Aix-en-Provence)
Hotel Le Concorde(Aix-en-Provence)
Hotel des Augustins(Aix-en-Provence)
Hotel Saint Christophe(Aix-en-Provence)
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 1, 2011

My husband Justin and I recently traveled to Aix en Provence, France for our Honeymoon. We literally spent the week eating, drinking, exploring and making new friends. We stayed at 28 a aix, the most amazing hotel! The rooms are gorgeous and the service was excellent. When we first started planning our trip, it was very last minute but we knew exactly what we wanted. 28 a aix was just what we dreamed of and more. The hotel is located in the middle of everything, which means you do not have to rent a car. Michele and Sophie greeted us at the hotel with the best service and recommendations for our daily travels. They were very warm and made us feel at home in a foreign country. Our honeymoon was PERFECT at 28 a aix and we would recommend this hotel to anyone.
– Antoinette L. Akong, New York, NY

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Antoinette A
Reviewed October 31, 2011

What was great about the hotel was its central and quiet location, excellent service, very sounds and reliable staff advice about restaurants, and the size, decor and cleanliness of the rooms. The breakfast was adequate, and was in a lovely garden area. We were 3 people and took rooms 3 and 4 - Room 4 was large and Room 3 was huge. In Room 3 it was a few steps up to the large bathroom, and then from the bathroom you could go a few steps up to a small second room with a single bed. ( If I had known about the second room, then I think we would have put our daughter in the second room and not taken Room 4 at all.) Despite all these good things, I felt like I had overpaid. I don't mind paying a lot for a hotel room, but in this case I felt like we were paying a premium for a lot of unnecessary extra room space. Also, I was careful to avoid room 2 because of an earlier review that said there was a drainage odor emanating from the bathroom. Well, there was also an odor (like sewer gas) in the Room 3 bathroom. It was not huge, and it did not waft into the adjacent bedroom, but I didn't like it and I felt a little foolish paying a lot of money for a room with this kind of issue. Having said all that, I don't know what the alternatives are in Aix for hotels. It may be that these prices are not out of line with other hotels in the center of AIx, and my personal experience on two trips to Provence suggests that in the larger towns, accommodations may be better on the outskirts rather than in the center - but not sure. I'm just advising everyone to research carefully, and try to book far in advance. Our last minute booking put us at a disadvantage.

Room Tip: I would recommend Room 4 for a couple.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Bbi
Reviewed October 2, 2011

The Hotel 28 is a really unique experience. We arrived and rang the bell to be greeted by Michel the manager waving at us from the top floor, once inside he showed us around the charming house, then took up to room 1, and left us with a tray of cool drinks. The room is fantastic, romantic but fun. Huge swathes of silk canopy the bed and windows, but are offset with fun and eclectic lamps and lights. The bathroom was huge, clean, and have everything you could have wanted. Breakfast is served in the walled garden at the back of the house, and there is a wonderful sun drenched terrace half way up the stairs that is a pleasure to sit back on and enjoy a good book or a glass of wine. Aix is a gorgeous town, night markets were in full swing every evening, and it was fantastic to have dinner then stroll back and enjoy the ambience. Having only 4 rooms in the hotel means it feels like staying in a private house. We came home at night and had the sitting room all to ourselves. Music was playing and it was heavenly to sit down and leaf through books and photo albums, like you would if staying with friends. We took Michels recommendation and ate one night at The Green Tomato which was a great french bistro, good food and atmosphere. Another night we had a fantastic meal at Pasta Cosy. Do not be put off by the name! It was one of the best pasta meals we have ever had, all explained to you by the owner who made you feel like he had all the time in the world and you were old friends. Just one note, there is only one car space avail at Hotel 28, and you have to pre book it. We were not aware of this, but there is a public carpark about 200m away that was easy to leave the car in. Hotel 28 a Aix is quite expensive, but we felt it worth every Euro.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hilmel
Reviewed August 19, 2011

This is a delightfully funky, but very nicely decorated and charming hotel in a great location.
Michel, the manager, is personable, helpful and definitely adds to the overall experience. Breakfast on the terrace in good weather is quite good. The hotel is within walking distance of most of the town. Parking is a little bit of a challenge so we were happy to leave the car in the garage a few blocks away until we were ready to leave.

Room Tip: There are only 4 or 5 rooms, so book early. If stairs are a problem for you, avoid top floor.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Noni S
Reviewed May 6, 2011

I agree entirely with what flashpackers808 said. Every single word. The hotel is in a very nice old building in a great location in central aix. The common areas are pretty and tastefully decorated (Sophie clearly has great taste, in a very French way). The staff (1 on at a time) are friendly and helpful. My impression was that the 3 more expensive rooms are very large. The smallest room is a reasonable size.

But let's not forget that these are expensive rooms in what is essentially an up-market B&B. I don't mind paying top hotel prices for an up-market B&B but with all the savings allowed to the latter (fewer facilities, no room service, far fewer staff) you expect to either get better value for money or some noticeably better accommodation.

I just didn't quite get that feeling. The breakfast is fine (not disgusting or anything) but hardly outstanding. It is an insult to guests paying top rates to provide a very basic mini-bar and then charge prices like 5 euro for a can of soft drink. As flashpackers808 pointed out, room 2 seems to have some drainage issues - a very noisy mechanism and a constant mildly unpleasant smell are disappointing at this class of hotel.

I thought that Sophie was very nice indeed and so don't want to insult her hotel. She has made a real effort to make a very nice place and has obviously succeeded (the other reviews are testament to that). But I did think at these prices a few things could have been better.

Would fresh croissants, proper yoghurt (not cheap supermarket 6-packs spooned into a little cup), the option of a boiled egg or something and leaf tea or at least top-level tea and coffee be too much to ask? Yes at a B&B perhaps but not at somewhere aspiring to be a luxury small hotel. They are clearly saving money by only having one staff member on at a time but that saving causes a reduction in the quality of service which is not reflected in the rates.

Similarly, at these prices in this kind of hotel, a free minibar with some good water and beer options and two snack options is not essential but would be appreciated. Certainly hotel bar prices for coke and water is over the top.

I will leave it there. This is a critique, not an attack. I would not at all hesitate to stay here again but I might review my options first. This may well be the best place in aix-en-provence but, on a larger scale, my assessment overall is "trying hard but could do better".

Room Tip: Erm, the prices give it away.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple