“Unique menu in a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Poivre D'Ane

Le Poivre D'Ane
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“Unique menu in a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

We were worried about this restaurant at first because it's on one of the main squares in Aix surrounded by the usual tourist-trap restaurants. But we had a superb meal here: I will never forget my starter of raspberries, langoustine and cabbage - never had that combination before at it was ace! The other diners were all French which added to a very authentic atmosphere, all the food was excellent, and a pleasant ambiance with couples, friends, and even someone alone. I think you would be comfortable here whatever your style.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Sophie H

• Greek first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A delightful dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

In a town with lots of really good dining options, Le Poivre D'Ane was definitely one of the most positive experiences. A small restaurant--reservations are a really good idea--with an air of elegance, all three of our courses were enjoyable, well prepared and nicely presented. The menu is a creative mix, including specials. Their fois-gras and their duck, both of which we tried at a number of different restaurants, were both especially good. Our desserts, a poached pear dish and a cheesecake with Bailey's, were both memorial.

Visited March 2013
Linköping
“Very good food in a modern atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Good food, good atmosphere, good service ... Could not be much better! We enjoyed a long dinner that tasted absolutely perfect.

London, UK
“An enjoyable evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

I was looking for a gastronomic restaurant which was open on a Sunday night, and Le Poivre d'Ane ticked all the boxes. I was the first diner to be seated, and was in a cosy corner facing into the restaurant on a bench (so can't vouch for the comfort of the chairs mentioned in a previous review). It's quite small but cosy (accentuated by the orange/red glow from the decor). That night the restaurant was a little on the quiet side (maybe about 1/3 full) - but it *was* a Sunday.

Almost immediately I was presented with an amuse bouche of celery velouté with breadsticks. I chose the 35 euro menu, and started with scallops Rossini, which was delicious and my favourite dish of the evening (I would go back to have this again!). My lamb main with mushrooms and asparagus came with 2 sizeable pieces of lamb - I couldn't finish it. It looked like the meat was cooked underdone - it was the first time I've had lamb this way, and although I believe it's fine, those who prefer well done meat should take note. After the Irish coffee dessert at Le Formal (see my other review), the chocolate mocha dessert with (raspberry?) Chantilly cream was much less spectacular looking, but not too heavy. The bill was accompanied by a shot of green apple liqueur, which was a nice way to finish off the meal.

Great service from both waitresses - big smiles, very friendly, and speaking very clearly so that I could understand their French. The atmosphere was very relaxed, and people seemed to take their time making their menu choices whilst enjoying aperitifs and the amuse bouche. When I asked for a wine recommendation, the waitress pondered for a while and picked one of the more expensive wines by the glass. However, she explained that it was a light red that would work well with both my fish and meat dishes - I was happy that she took the trouble to explain her choice to me.

Previous reviews mention the kitchen being in view of the diners - I wasn't close enough to see right inside, but one of the chefs did stand at the window and look out occasionally. I could understand this at the beginning of the evening when there were few diners - it was a little strange, but frankly once the food started arriving I really didn't notice it any more (and presumably things then got too busy in the kitchen for that to continue much!).

I felt very well looked after and enjoyed my relaxing evening here. Would return - preferably in the summer months to enjoy a meal on the terrace in the square. I think that next time I would pick and choose items between the menus, as I preferred the look of the mains on the 29 euro menu and the courses are priced individually at the bottom of the menus.

I hope you found this useful!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank jytraveller
“Highly recommended”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

I'm not particularly crazy about the chairs, sort of a backbreaking experience, but the food was delicious, the service very friendly and professional. Very good wine f the week!

• Visited December 2012