“Horrible experience”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2014

This is my experience having dinner at maharaja. We were a table of 8. We order food and we are all served except for one of our guests. I call the waiter to ask him when the food is coming, i barely get an answer from him. He replies saying that the food will be coming and she'll have to wait. Wait meant that some of us finished our food when our guest was still waiting and starving.
Second part is that one glass fell from our table and broke. A waiter was taking an order right at the table next to us and the glass fell beside him, he turns arounds, see the glass on the floor, then completely ignores it and walks away. I told myself he was going to come back, but no, the glass stayed on the floor during all our time at the table. The table beside us was astonished when they saw me looking around in amazement at the broken glass. They then said, the waiters here dont care, customer service is horrrible.
Funny part is that when the waiter came to ask what we were having for dessert, one of the members of our family, a 4 yr old girl, accidently pushed a glass on the table and the glass fell (on the table), but did not break. The waiter almost flipped out and said: hey, watch out, you already broke a glass, you're not going to break everything here!
I have NEVER heard a waiter talk to customers like this. Lucky for him this was a family dinner.
And to finish my experience, when we paid the bill, the change that came back was miscalculated, with 1 euro less, i dont care about a euro but i assume that they at least give back the right change . When i told the waiter about their mistake, he gave me the look as if i took the coin and lied to him, and walked away to do his math again.
Last but not least, when we stood up, we heard one of the waiters telling the table (2 customers) right beside us in french: you ordered a menu for one and your friend is eating with you, he cant be eating with you. He should have ordered his own food!
This restaurant deserves a medal for such behavior.
Food is very very average. I've eaten in many indian restaurants around the world and this definitely comes at the bottom of my list. You feel you're here to get ripped off, on top of being insulted.
I will never step foot in your so called restaurant again, you guys have a major problem and should train your staff a bit more of how to interact with customers. Dont forget that it's with customer's money that you guys make a living.
Arrogance at its best, with cheap decor, and below average food.

Update before i posted this:
Our friends, without our knowledge, went to eat there last night, and the first thing they said is that they were SHOCKED by the unfriendliness of the waiters there.

3  Thank Oto J

Reviewed August 26, 2013

If you're a seasoned curry fan you will find this restaurant does not provide the authentic Indian experience. I had a thali with 7 or 8 dishes but none them had much flavour and my wife had a prawn massala which was a little sour.

We forgot to say we weren't French so maybe they just added some water to the dishes as one other reviewer has already suggested.

Finally, the location of the restaurant isn't great - a rather smelly and narrow ruelle which has some passing traffic, mainly motorbikes when we were there.

Service was good if rather unfriendly. Prices were reasonable but, on the other hand, the portions were very small.

1  Thank Packidge
Reviewed August 23, 2013

not bad, food is spiced to fit European taste, we can't complain about anything, service was fast and friendly, prices average and similar to other locations around, we will come again

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We ordered four dishes and asked for one to be made spicy. None of them had real flavour and the so-called spicy one was especially devoid of it. Maybe I just have high standards with all the really fine Indian restaurants in Britain. Nice location though.

2  Thank Uplyme
Reviewed February 7, 2013

First of all, tell them you know Indian food and don't want it watered down for the French palette. These guys know how to cook. Get it spicy. The Dal Makhani is heavenly, laden with ghee, cumin and a hint of cilantro. The naan is fresh out of the oven. The papadams (not on the menu from what I can tell) are fresh and fast; and it's the first restaurant I've seen in Europe that carries Kingfisher beer. Want more? I'm an Indian food addict; eaten it on 5 continents. More often than not the main spices are salt and pepper, with some chili oil thrown in. Not the case here. The mix of spices is distinct and legitimate. These guys will be quick to tell you that most of them are Bengalis and they like their food hot, and it's more complicated than just throwing in a little red oil to make it that way.

The restaurant's really nice inside, I mean the walls are literally carved and sculpted around the entire interior. (I like take-out, but the interior makes me want to eat there). And more than that the food is on par with most of your better Indian restaurants in the States. Just make sure you ask for it "hot, but not Indian hot". The only unfortunate thing is that they don't have more customers. There does seem to be a lot of take-out business (guilty as charged). But living in France and being sick of French food, I had already tried the Indian fast food place around the corner a couple times, and was under-awed by it although at least they made the naan themselves which is novel in this country. I had avoided the Maharaja because it seemed to expensive and serious. Compared to that joint, Maharaja is a revelation, and not too expensive at all. Portions are good and ...well, just eat there. The only other place I feel this way about in France -- i.e. authentic -- is L'Orient d'Or in Paris for Chinese.