“Waste of a good location”
Review of Prima Pasta

Prima Pasta
Reserve with
Prima Pasta is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #270 of 937 Restaurants in Aix-en-Provence
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: " Un brin d'Italie au coeur d'Aix en provence "
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I should've trusted my gut instinct that eating here was a bad idea, but the pretty square and sunshine were enough to get the better of me.

My girlfriend's penne came out cold with sauce that tasted as though it was fresh out of a tin can. To recreate the dish, simply go to Monoprix, buy a box of penne and a jar of sauce, and follow the directions on the packaging. My antipasti and salad was average at best.

To make matters worse the service was awful. It started out alright, but after asking for the bill we waited forever and could not get anybody's attention. On top of that, they didn't bring me my change and just assumed the rest was a tip.

It's very sad that places like this can stay in business simply because of their location and reliance on tourists. Avoid at all costs.

2  Thank Alex F

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Food is not overly impressive and it's overpriced but you need to expect that anytime you sit in one of these out in the plaza restaurants. The food isn't the main show, it's being able to sit outside in Aixe and watch the crowd go by. After spending more time in the area, I found many other places that would have suited us better.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We ate here last night and both the ravioli spinach & ricotta and the shrimp/pea bow tie pasta was awful. Service was okay only because they brought our check quickly when asked. Both pasta sauces were tasteless, oily and very watery. The shrimp in my dish was microscopic and they still only had 5-6 shrimp that were smaller than a 1euro cent piece. The peas were shriveled and hard and the sauce...ugh. I ONLY ate my dish because I was annoyed the plate of garbage cost almost $20 (14euro). The sauce on the ravioli looked like a bowl of nasty white soup and tasted bland and grainy. The ravioli itself tasted subpar, my husbands first comment was "this would have been better out of a freezer". His dish was also 14euro. They never brought our water and we were covered in secondhand smoke from the table above us (one step up) - we had to keep moving our 3 year old to get him out of the direct line (this is not the restaurants fault, but made our bad experience even worse). I would avoid this place unless you enjoy eating bland, watery food at expensive prices (for quality)

2  Thank Meg_clark17
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We've been traveling in France for a couple of weeks and got to Aix last evening. Today was our first day and my husband put up with my desire to do the markets. It was a little past 1:00 and we've had a couple of days when our choice were limited by our tardiness to decide it was lunch time and all regular restaurants were closing at 2:00. Wandering back from the Cours Mirabeau, we passed an area with restaurant after restaurant. We chose this Italian restaurant. We asked for a table in the shade on the outdoor terrace, but they were all for four and the gentleman refused to seat us there. There was one table for two partly shaded, and we took that one. As it got later it became hotter. And all the tables for four in the shade sat empty the entire time we were there.
Menus were tossed onto the table and within two minutes a waiter came by to take our order. I (being the French speaker in the family) ordered a half bottle of wine and a carafe of water. It was a good 20 minutes before anyone came back to our table with the wine, and the order pad. Please understand that at this time they were not at all crowded.
We ordered from the 15.50 E menu, which included an antipasto type salad and any of the very extensive pasta list. Our first courses (which came out about 20 minutes later) were very nice: a caprese salad for my husband and a mozzarella salad with roasted veggies for me. I'm going to guess that we'd finished them at least a half hour before anyone came to take the plates. In fact, our wine bottle was empty before our main courses arrived, a good while after that.
My tagliatelle with asparagus was tasty enough but in the bottom of the plate, it was literally swimming in cream sauce, so rich I could only eat a few bites. I definitely should have asked before ordering. My husband's lasagnette with Bolognese sauce was much better but there was still a good layer of grease in the bottom when he'd finished.
We rarely get dessert but there were several being served around us that looked pretty good.
With as many good restaurants as there are in Aix, I would not go back to this one.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I know what you're thinking, more pasta? In Aix? It can't possibly be true! But for a change this is a place where pasta is prepared rather than served from a box or a packet. There is a great variety for all tastes and the food is very delicious, every time although the waiters never seem to get any nicer. Also, the fun dishes are a nice touch to the experience. However, when it comes to dessert I'd recommend trying something else as that's not the strong point of this place.