“ok hotel”

Ranked #3 of 36 Hotels in Poitiers
London, United Kingdom
“ok hotel”
Reviewed August 29, 2011

The room was okay, but in august we found it very hot as the was no air con.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Korean first
Poitiers, France
Reviewed June 2, 2011

My mother and I stayed at the Hotel de L’Europe in Poitiers for four nights in mid-May.

We loved the hotel. And my mother has already told me that she wants to stay here when she visits me in Poitiers this winter. The reception desk was friendly (though my mother thinks they were friendlier to me since I actually attempted French the entire time). I exchanged a few emails with the reception staff before our arrival and they were very prompt in their reply.

We stayed in a room with two twin beds and it was perfect. It contained a desk, chair, small closet, and television with a two English channels (BBC and CNN), a random German shopping network channel, at least one Spanish channel, and of course, there were multiple French channels. Our room was on the top floor, which I thought would be a problem for my mother (who is in her 60s), but it worked out fine. I carried her suitcase up and we just took our time on the stairs at the end of the day. The room has a nice bathroom with a normal shower (not the typical European-style shower). For some reason, we couldn’t figure out how to avoid wetting the entire floor even when the shower doors were closed. The bathroom was a reasonable sized, though the shower might be a tight fit for some.

There were two large "french door"-styled windows which gave us a nice view of the other buildings and general condensed cityscape of centre ville. There was a retractable metal window shade, which was helpful because the windows are adorned with sheer white curtains and it was really bright in the morning.

The only bad thing is that the walls are a bit thin—or maybe the door locks are just really loud. This is because the old-fashion keys make a lot of noise to unlock the doors (and most people, including me, tend to struggle to open the door with the key). But my mother and I were tired most nights after a full day of sightseeing so that it wasn’t too big of a deal!

In the lobby, there is a lounge room which contains a computer to give guests internet access. I only had to wait once to use the computer. From the lounge, you can check out the hotel's little garden area.

Breakfast is offered but given that I was on a tight budget, I opted to grab a croissant near Hotel de Ville.

The Hotel is ideally situated three blocks from Hotel de Ville and surrounded by restaurants. It is about a 15 minute walk to the train station from the hotel, and about a 5 minute walk to the 8 à Huit if you want to stock up on a few groceries (I went there every morning to supplement my croissant-focused breakfast). It is no more than a 10 minute walk to Notre Dame.

My mother and I loved visiting Poitiers. I will be studying French at the university this fall and it is a very pretty city, with lots of history, tasty food, and nice people—definitely a welcome change from the hustle and bustle of Paris (where we stayed before traveling to Poitiers).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank pilly5
Pinner
Reviewed July 23, 2010

We stayed here on the way to Bilbao and arrived after a very long drive. Stayed here because it was the right length of time for the drive and it allowed dogs. We just spent the night and walked around town before an early start the following day. We loved Poitiers, what a beautiful town! Wish we could have stayed longer. Great architecture, lovely cafes and restaurants.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank GrahamG78
London, England
Reviewed June 30, 2010

We were in a "confort" room in the block opposite the main building. The room was small with no view and no air-conditioning, but clean , quiet and comfortable. I wouldn't like to stay there on a hot night though.
There was reasonable storage space for clothing etc. The bathroom was clean and looked to be recently refurbished.
Bland reception staff - not many smiles.
Breakfast was in pleasant surroundings with a good selection of food for 8Euros - completely serve-yourself.
The hotel location is excellent for seeing the town (both shops and park) and for nearby restaurants.
Good value for what was provided.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Geoff & Barbara
California
Reviewed September 9, 2009

We thought the Hotel de l'Europe was great. The room was small, but fully adequate, very clean, very quiet. We were in the older part of the hotel, well off the street, on the first (European-style) floor. The bathroom was tiny but seemed to have been recently renovated. We picked this hotel for the free wifi and were pleasantly surprised by how nice it was. In fact, the flakiness of the wifi is the only reason I'm rating service 4/5, but if you are persistent, you can get on. Breakfast was an excellent value, and there is a lovely private garden in back of the hotel. The staff seemed very helpful to us.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple