“Oh! dear”
Review of La Boussole

La Boussole
Reserve with
La Boussole is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 546 Restaurants in La Rochelle
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The food was superb but the service was shocking. We arrived earlyish,it was empty. We have 3 children who did the cardinal sin of seating themselves - the waiter was very cross and reallocated us to the edge of the restaurant, even though it was empty. As he moved a table, he dropped and broke a glass, this annoyed him even further, he cleared at the glass with a dustpan and brush. Gave us some menu's and took our drinks order. There was no menu enfant so I asked if he could make 2 meals smaller, he said "non, impossible" and then he offered "chicken nuggets" - No thank you! So I pointed to both children and said deux (held up 2 fingers and gestured to both children) boeuf brochette (kebab), My older child and husband had duck and I had the lamb wok. When the meals came, we only got 1 beef kebab, 2 duck and 1 lamb ie 1 meal short, I waited a while, as the restaurant filled up very quickly it was hard to get anyones attention, when we got their attention and pointed out 1 missing meal they bought a plate and pointed to the other beef kebab which was almost gone, the meals actually were not that big. I said "No, No, deux boeuf brochette" they shrigged and said "5 minutes". Also, they then moved a table and blocked us in knocking our table and my husbands hat and glasses onto the floor (no apology). Funnily enough we didn't get to dessert which was a shame because it probably would have been yummy. It cost 19 euros for 1 course each so it was expensive. Would I go back, I'd love to for the food but my husband would have none of it..

Write a ReviewReviews (1,445)

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I had the vegetarian penne, which has a slight chinese twist to it - and it was brilliant. On a warm busy August day, the service was quick. We sat outside, and the street is away from the main tourist area so it was quieter but there was a nice atmosphere. Quite a unique style of food on the menu, and would definitely visit again and try more - the desserts also look very good.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

On the walls of La Boussole lie poems praising the importance of the use of spices in fine cuisine. We were not disappointed! The curry seafood marmite was exquisite. The settings inside are original and highly pleasant, and the terrasse on a pedestrian street is very enjoyable. The prices are very competitive. Too bad that the service wad slow.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

As the title suggests we got off to a great start at La Boussole. We arrived for dinner on a sunny evening and were greeted warmly by our helpful and efficient waitress. Our aperitifs and starters arrived, as did quite a number of customers. Therein lies the tale! We waited for about 45 minutes and despite a gentle reminder to our waitress that we were still awaiting our mains, my swordfish and my husband's wok lamb failed to arrive. As the evening was turning chilly I simply could not wait any longer so, disappointed, we paid our bill and left. The waitress did allude to the kitchen being the problem but good front of house staff are the buffer zone and should try to communicate with customers when such issues arise. Reasonable people will accept a polite explanation. Maybe we were just unfortunate on that night but it means we won't go back nor recommend to friends who will be holidaying in La Rochelle soon.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Living in France, we always take visitors to La Rochelle as being a very beautiful place to go. More often that not we have a meal at La Boussole, always excellant cloice of coures & good service. Nothing better than eating outside in the sunshine, worth a visit.