“Lucky I didn't read some of the preceding reviews”
Review of restaurant l'Aunis

restaurant l'Aunis
Ranked #77 of 522 Restaurants in La Rochelle
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
victoria, australia
“Lucky I didn't read some of the preceding reviews”
Reviewed November 20, 2011

We ate here in October. It was a Tuesday night, they were fairly busy and we had not reserved. We went with our 9 year old daughter and were slightly worried that they did not advertise any sort of children's menu. However, the service was fine, they had no problem finding something for our daughter (steak hache encore - but she likes that) and we had an interesting menu, well prepared and it was not overly expensive. Plenty of locals (or at least French people) in, so it didn't feel like a tourist trap. Fish soup, nicely cooked fish with spinach, my partner had her fish with a simple ratatouille and tapenade accompanying it. Really had no complaints. I wonder if the negative comments came from high season when perhaps they don't cope so well with crowds? Anyway, out of season I would recommend it. Our hotel manager directed us to this street, pointing out that it was less tourist trap than the port itself.

• Visited October 2011

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Good food and nice surroundings”
Reviewed June 4, 2010

I visited in May 2010 and had the lunch time menu at 19 euros. Scallops and mussels baked in white wine sauce, followed by excellent sea bream and a small tarte tatin to finish. All very good and one of the more modestly priced white wines (Loire Sauvignon Bland) was good too.

London, UK
“A Change From Fish”
Reviewed March 22, 2010

A perfectly good restaurant with a reasonable menu, in both French and English uses of the term. Having surveyed the restaurants in the area, it came on to rainand as there were alreading a group of French diners there and I had already earmarked it, I went in. The food was well cooked and presented. The service, though prompt and friendly was a trifle odd in that I was served by about 4 or 5 different people. A place to be considered for reasonable priced food as a change from all the fish and seafood restaurants in town. By 8.30pm they were turning people without reservations away.

Ireland
“I insist you eat here- at La Petite Auberge”
Reviewed September 17, 2009

Not sure if this post should go here but I ate in the sister restautant of L'aunis tonight, further up the street of rue st jean du Perot at number 25. Quite simply, it was one of the finest meals I have ever had and certainly the finest I have eaten in La Rochelle.

Starter no 1: Tatin Tomate Chevre: a tart tatin of beautifully cooked tomatoes and goats cheese which tasted so beautifully sweet. Eur 8.

Starter no 2: Petite St. Jacques. Wonderful small scallops cooked in a lovely rich garlic and parsley jus. Eur 9.

Main no 1: Dos Cabillaud. Beautifully cooked cod with an exquisite saffron sea-food risotto. Eur 17.

Main No 2. Gambas with Canard. This was a majestic dish. The langoustines and duck breast were served on crab meat ravioli and smothered in a creamy cognac and lobster bisque type sauce. I mopped up the sauce with the beautiful home-made bread. Eur 18.

Wine, we had a bottle of Chateau De Respide 2008, Graves which was lovely and dry and complimented the food brilliantly. Eur 19. Because the duck and langustines was so meaty in texture I had a glass od Ch Villa Bel Air Eur 4.80.

Total without service and two bottles of l'eau robinet... Eur 75.80

This was an exquisit meal and I would never pass their door again.

1 Thank munsterman
London
“Good, but not as good as Bar Andre nearby”
Reviewed June 28, 2009

Nice food and wine, but this restaurant faces stiff competition nearby, particularly Bar Andre.