“Looked good but disappointed”
Review of Le Sofa - CLOSED

Le Sofa
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 9, 2012

My French colleague took me here on a recommendation. It was OK - nothing bad but nothing special either. Wine stock was low - I guess we were there before a delivery. Staff tried hard and were polite.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

I'm a bit confused, because we tried 2 restaurants from tripadvisor and it didn't seem like the same recommended... So itmight have changed since the precious reviews.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

It was good, but it wasn't great, sadly. I came in expecting to really like the restaurant, based on reviews, but I had better meals in La Rochelle. Good service, interesting modern atmosphere, and not too expensive -- just 30 euros for entree, plat, wine and a cafe creme -- but I guess I was expecting more, somehow.

Reviewed August 6, 2011

We went with our family (2 adults, 2 children (12,10)) and we all loved the food and it was great value. They start serving dinner at 7pm (we were there on a Friday) and the staff were very friendly. We would definitely recommend this to anyone looking forba great place to eat. It's just off the main drag.

Reviewed August 1, 2011

I agree wholeheartedly with the previous review; indeed, it seems as though we may have visited on the same night.

The food was patchy at best and the service bordered on Fawlty-esque. One incorrect starter was brought and the drinks order mixed up, which got things got off to a bad start. (Tip for the staff: young children rarely order whole-prawn dishes of their own volition!)

My onglet was poor: it was over-seasoned and the different-sized pieces varied from well done (surely not in France!) to blue. The salad was limp and tasted of nothing, but the frites were fine. Elsewhere at the table, one of my teenage children struggled with the 'Sofa burger' (a soggy bun and lots of fat in the meat), while my wife left much of her mouclade despite being quite hungry when we sat down to eat.

Desserts were decent enough, though one of the children's request to have the waffles with mint ice-cream instead of the one on the menu sparked a major conference between the staff (eventually it was pronounced that this was acceptable).

We felt sorry for an obviously inexperienced waiter, who seemed to struggle with most orders and wandered around tables occasionally in the hope that someone—anyone!—would claim the food he was carrying about.

Lots of tables were reserved on the night we visited and were filling up as we were leaving with what seemed to be locals and regulars. For us, however, this was a disappointing meal by any standards—but especially so after reading the many good reviews here.