“An oasis of calm and gorgeous flavors during a maelstrom”

Le Bistrot d'La Chaine
Ranked #38 of 598 Restaurants in La Rochelle
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Cuisine traditionnel et française réalisée à partir de produits frais. Accueil et ambiance chaleureuse.
Reviewed December 15, 2018 via mobile

We had to pop down to La Rochelle during a recent trip and were enveloped by torrential rain and wind. Good decision because the Bistrot d’La Chaina delivers!

Particularly memorable was the Apple Crumble au facon Tatin but I could have recommended any one of 5 other dishes.

Date of visit: December 2018

Reviewed August 13, 2018 via mobile

The service was excellent, very attentive staff and extremely polite. The food was amazing, so fresh, well presented and very tasty. I would definitely recommend this place, it was amazing!!!

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed August 4, 2018 via mobile

We had the 2 course meal deal and I had the chocolate fondant dessert which I recommend. The prawns were a little sandy - we both said so. We had a nice table by the window.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed July 29, 2018 via mobile

We visited this restaurant based on the reviews on TripAdvisor. We were the first to sit down at 19.15 but within 30 minutes the terrace was completely full.

My wife had fish and rice which was lovely, I went for the meat and fries which was good. We ended with the chocolate mousse and loved it.

Overall great place to eat.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed July 26, 2018

It's a pretty limited menu. The food is OK, nothing more, but overpriced for what it is and the service is poor. We didn't get bread for some unknown reason despite asking. Service was pretty haphazard from off from the owner and the 'out of her depth' waitress. It was only half full and we got a table for 2 no problem. It transpired that it was because they thought we were French. A German family with 2 small kids came and were turned away, some other Brits with kids had the same experience. Was it because they wouldn't spend enough money? Or beacuse they weren't French as 4 French teenagers were allowed to sit on the same table 5 minutes later. Don't know. Meanwhile the owner fawned over the French clientele like Basil Fawlty on a bad night. I love France, I love La Rochelle and every other restaurant we went to, but this was an embarrassment.

Date of visit: July 2018